PDA

View Full Version : Air scoops

Deathbringer
04-05-2002, 11:39 AM
(Disclaimer--Not trying to sell anything)

I was wondering if you guys would think it was a good deal if you could purchase air scoops for the 400ex, made out of fiberglass, and colored red,yellow, or black..for about $35.00?
They are flexable so they would take some abuse and would be molded to scoop the maximum amount of air right to the oil cooler, and precut for easy mounting. Anyway any feedback would be great, thanks.

400exdad
04-05-2002, 12:01 PM
DB,

I just made my own out of aluminum... some that was left over when they did my gutters at my house. I cut and mounted them like OMF's, look good, but are little thin. I'm afraid after a few branches, they will be history.

My mom works at a plastics place, I was also thinking of making some out of .060 black plastic. Again, it may be thin and this time not UV resistant. Then I started looking at fiberglass or carbon fiber. How could I do that?

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing some pics and 35 is not bad. Here's an idea though for you. I read somewhere that you could make fiberglass, at least look like carbon fiber by coloring the resin. I can't actually remember how, but I think perhaps by putting graphite in the resin. However, I can't stop thinking that they added laquer thinner for some reason. I may be way off on the thinner... I looked thru all my mags on the tip. I think the guy who sent it in made an exhaust shield.