PDA

View Full Version : 01 400ex lost power

insaneracin2003
08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
hey guys,i went riding mx sat. and during my 4th lap my quad felt like my brakes locked up or were dragging real bad.I brought it back to the pits and checked the wheels,no prob there. when i went to load it up in the truck i started it and it blew a few puffs of white smoke.when i got home i checked the oil and it was low:eek2: .has this happened to anyone or is it a sign to go-ahead and do a rebuild with a 416 kit:devil: ?really felt like it lost power and wouldnt rev up fast while i was in neutral like something in the motor was holding it back.
i was supposed to send my rear shock to C&D today to get rebuilt ,but if i have to get a rebuild kit for the motor,i wont be able to send my shock off yet.any help would be greatly appreciated.

2001-400ex'er
08-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I have an 01 400ex and kind of the same problem. It feels like it doesnt have as much power as it did. Now it smells like it is burning oil so this winter i am gonna take it apart and rebuild it. I think i am gonna go with a 11:1 416 ( anyone know if that alone will add some power because im pretty sure i cant put in a cam) thanks

Steve-o 400EX
08-16-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 2001-400ex'er
I have an 01 400ex and kind of the same problem. It feels like it doesnt have as much power as it did. Now it smells like it is burning oil so this winter i am gonna take it apart and rebuild it. I think i am gonna go with a 11:1 416 ( anyone know if that alone will add some power because im pretty sure i cant put in a cam) thanks

I would say go with a JE 10.8:1 or a ross 10.8:1. The Ross is a little bit lighter. As for the cam, you should put one in, you wouldnt see the power you would like, if u ride hard I would say go with a stage 2 hotcam, if ur more of a cruiser then go with a stage 1. Hotcams will work with ur stock rockers so u do not need to get hardfaced. Other than that, jetting, air filter and exhuast and ur set. u can look at my mods in my sig, min pulls really hard all the way to rev limiter.

Good luck, pm me with any questions
:macho

insaneracin2003
I'd say its time for as rebuild, GO 416!:macho

ewalker302
08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Did you happen to check the oil before the race??? Cause it sounds like you were runnin it low.

:bandit:

insaneracin2003
08-17-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys for the replys,looks like im gettin a 416 kit:p