PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 450...can decide which one???

400exbiggun
08-16-2004, 09:27 AM
First off let me say this IF YOU ARE A YAMAHA HATER DO NOT REPLY
im looking for honest opinions not stupid ones.

first off im going to look at getting a 450 im getting either the r or the yfz.

Now im considering the yfz more cause electric start. BUt i heard that they have some motor troubles as well. Any motor troubles with the 450r? I know some had frame problems.
IM looking for a great trail bike thats going to see the track as often as a trail. ANd i dont want to sepnd 5 min trying to kick start it to go.

any opinions?

stiffy
08-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Not bashing on Yamaha but I had a YFZ and my husband has the 450R and I would try to trade him every time we went to the dunes (of course he wouldn't) the YFZ was faster but I felt more comfortable on the R it just felt better suspension seat height bar position everything. I ended up selling my YFZ for a mini R1 sand rail though. Oh yeah I'm 5'11" maybe that's why the YFZ felt goofy I had to go to the chiropracter and get shock treatment to help my back and pinched nerves after every ride no lie.

bradley300
08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
from what i have seen and heard, most seem to think the honda will be the better xc quad, the yammy the best in mx and the ATK is the most all around quad. maintenance is the same on all of them.

the yammy's electrical probs come down to needing a new rectifier from trail tech and a stator rewind.

not sure if there isa fix for the honda frame yet, or if it is a result of certainkinds of riding. i do know i am only 135 lbs, and used to kicking a blaster, and i can still start the honda first kick, hot or cold

ATK has taken care of all the c-dales updatesas well as upgraded the motor to a full 450cc's. it also come with superior componets such as chromoly a-arms like aftermarket companies use instead of cheap steel and aluminum that a few people have not had good luck w/ on thier raptrs and yfz's. also comes with a superior frame from aluminum and is probably the strongest of the bunch EFI is nice and an ATK is the head turner of the 450's beig as they are more rare

PEPwalshZ440
08-16-2004, 10:52 AM
i mean they're both great machines. If you're going to keep either quad mostly stock, i'd get the yfz, if you're going to do some real seirous mods, get the 450r, i think it responds better.
Mike

400exbiggun
08-16-2004, 11:01 AM
no i dont like to do motor mods. Im just going to do like nerf bars, and exhaust and things. Leave the motor alone.

now all this talk about electrical, wrist pin bearings, decompression plug....etc etc on the yfz have the 05's changed to where they dont need these parts?

I know the 05 changed the head or something to where the decomp is or now is not or something like that.

08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
if you plan on racing get the YFZ..if you're just gonna ride get the TRX

400exrules
08-16-2004, 03:39 PM
idk if this helps but my buddy once told me..." if you wanna ride, get a honda, if you wanna spend all day workin on your fourwheeler, get a yamaha"

SRH
08-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
no i dont like to do motor mods. Im just going to do like nerf bars, and exhaust and things. Leave the motor alone.

now all this talk about electrical, wrist pin bearings, decompression plug....etc etc on the yfz have the 05's changed to where they dont need these parts?

I know the 05 changed the head or something to where the decomp is or now is not or something like that.

let me put these rumors to rest....yfz motors are very reliable the motor problems are due to people running too low of octane fuel or just abusing them, y fzs must be run on 93 octane fuel, the electrical problems from what i see only exist on the internet so i wouldnt pay too much attention to that ive had a freind whose had his for over a year done hardly any maintaince and rides it super hard his motor runs strong, the decomp plug is a small seal yamaha use to fill where the decompressor was on the yz 426 motor, there is nothing to hold the seal in so it eventually falls out, i bought a nice andonized blue one for 10 bucks, no problems at all the 05 or 06 yamaha is going to start casting over these holes

the reason people say the 450r responds to mods better is because it more desperately needs them than a yfz

basically if you want to trail ride and ride a beginner levelmx track and just have fun the 450r will be more enjoyable but if u love to ride mx and haul *** all the time then get the yfz definetly if your gonan race!,

there both comparable in power the yfz just has it where the 450r doesnt

Scottie Mac
08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Both are great, both have had varying problems, most of those problems are offset with proper maintenance. Ride them both, make your own mind up.

Scott

PS
douggust.com explains the YFZ electrical issues.

Ralph
08-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Get wichever one you can get for less and buy from wich dealer u like the most. Having a good dealer make it so much better than having one that sucks ***. Buy whatever the better dealer has and wichever u can get cheaper...

trick450r
08-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by SRH
let me put these rumors to rest....yfz motors are very reliable the motor problems are due to people running too low of octane fuel or just abusing them, y fzs must be run on 93 octane fuel, the electrical problems from what i see only exist on the internet so i wouldnt pay too much attention to that ive had a freind whose had his for over a year done hardly any maintaince and rides it super hard his motor runs strong, the decomp plug is a small seal yamaha use to fill where the decompressor was on the yz 426 motor, there is nothing to hold the seal in so it eventually falls out, i bought a nice andonized blue one for 10 bucks, no problems at all the 05 or 06 yamaha is going to start casting over these holes

the reason people say the 450r responds to mods better is because it more desperately needs them than a yfz

basically if you want to trail ride and ride a beginner levelmx track and just have fun the 450r will be more enjoyable but if u love to ride mx and haul *** all the time then get the yfz definetly if your gonan race!,

there both comparable in power the yfz just has it where the 450r doesnt

are you crazy...your post makes perfect sense considering joe byrd won at lorettas and farr came in fourth...oh and the honda won the pro quad championship oh and we shouldent forget the baja 500......why do you bash the 450r...its just as good as the yfz everyewhere including mx!

daddio
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
if you like hondas, get the trx. if you like yamahas, get the yfz. you'll be happy with either one, unless you are hard to please, then you won't like either one.
I like yamaha's. my dealer is very good to me, and he doesn't sell hondas. so I got a yfz. then I got a second one, because I couldn't get the first one away from my kid.

400exrules
08-17-2004, 06:35 PM
get both, test each, and give me the one u dont like :macho

SRH
08-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
are you crazy...your post makes perfect sense considering joe byrd won at lorettas and farr came in fourth...oh and the honda won the pro quad championship oh and we shouldent forget the baja 500......why do you bash the 450r...its just as good as the yfz everyewhere including mx!

no its not it doesnt corner or soak up the bumps liek a yfz and it doesnt have that snap and hard pull all through the power, there 450rs arent stock either, this guy is talking about keeping his near stock, with a enough cash you can make a 450r just as good at mx and a yfz just as good at xc, stop being so insecure when something negative is said i gave my opinion about stock vs stock....

redroost85
08-17-2004, 09:56 PM
Do what Pappy did and get'em both, lol!:blah:

It will come down to personal preferences...either way, you can't go wrong.:)

SGA
08-17-2004, 10:53 PM
I cant say which is better, but I can say Pappy will find this thread.:D

Toadz400
08-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
idk if this helps but my buddy once told me..." if you wanna ride, get a honda, if you wanna spend all day workin on your fourwheeler, get a yamaha"

I think my Honda's given me more problems than me Yamaha...:huh . Only problems I've had with my Banshee are the float stuck once one of the carbs (bad gas), the petcock needed to be cleaned (sat for a long time, bad gas), and my friend blew the engine up (inexperienced rider pinning it in first gear for a long period of time on 87 octane with pipes and silencers just put on and stock jetting...SUPER hot).

My 400ex has had eletrical problems, a-arm problems, intake problems, etc. Seems to be more bothersome than my "horrible" Yamaha.

My point is people bash Yamaha way too much, I believe it's all about the person who rides it. If you take care of a machine, it will take care of you.

I'd say get the YFZ if what you really want is eletric start, and I don't believe you'll really have to worry about the eletrical problem unless you remove your lights. I've ridden both and the YFZ seemed to fit me a lot better, 450R just didn't seem like it would be meant for MX racing out of the box (no low end power really, all in the mid-top range).

Meek
08-18-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
maintenance is the same on all of them.

Do you know the meaning of the word "maintenance"? :devil:

400exbiggun
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
lol i was trying to find this thread yesterday but could not.

Ok thanks for the most part you guys made alot of sence.

I really like electric start...just that whole kicking thing makes me feel like im back on a 2-stroke:confused:

i have not rode either yet but im going to very soon. I sat on both at my one dealer and they are both very nice. IM not bias at all i had a 400ex and loved it it had enough power for me and i thought it was decent at the track although i would most deffinatly not win a rae on a stock 400ex.

i know the yfz's everyone says are alot faster than the 450r's....but define faster. I know it revvs alot quicker and has a shorter piston skirt (that i also heard rumors about them cracking :( )

im still a little leary about getting either quad its a tough decision.

400exbiggun
08-18-2004, 07:37 AM
and im 16. Im just getting finished selling my tecate that was more trouble then its worth. so i cant have the luxery like some others on here.

i was previously considering the raptor....i might consider that again.

MY450R
08-18-2004, 07:56 AM
either one is good

all this debate over practically the samr machine
honda is more reliable
about the power band they can be changed depending on what pipe you get

400exbiggun
08-18-2004, 08:00 AM
MY450R i see you have a z-400 as well

how do the 2 compare?

freakystone
08-18-2004, 08:37 AM
I was once of the opinion that if the TRX450 had electric start, I would have gotten the Honda instead of the Yamaha. But after riding both, I no longer feel that is the case.

- The Honda has a plush ride, but the "harsh" ride of the YFZ doesnt feel harsh to me as it does others.
- Honda has a softer seat, but my YFZ feels fine to me even on long all day-ers (I dont have a boney *****).
- The Honda is right there power and speed wise with the YFZ, but the YFZ just feels so much more powerful perhaps due to the high rev.

I am sure the Honda is a great bike. I have said it before, I have owned, Z400's, Dales, 400EX, and many others and have had a great time on all of them.

Get the YFZ...

400exbiggun
08-18-2004, 08:50 AM
i talked to good ole' pappy and he helped me see the light;)

i ride more woods then anything else. I dont need a crazy fast bike...just something that hauls ***. And to honestly tell you the truth

around here there are not many fast quads. The main quads around me that i ride is z/kxf400's, tons or warriors, and raptors and 1 shee

thats it i know NO ONE around here that has either 450 so for me either will do

but after talking to alot of ppl on bt and on here most agree that the 450r is a better woods guy. And it will do good on the track. Yes sure there are a ton of yfz in the GNCC and what not but i like to race but im not serious like alot of guys.

Im liking the 450r alot better....if i can only get over that kick starter blues.
plus the 4505 is sooooooo much cheaper.
I found one at my yamaha dealer ship thats also a honda dealer. Their prices are always sky high. Their 04 yfz is $6700 and their 04 r is $6300
the 05 black r is $6500

ill just go to that dealer and test ride both (since its in the same spot) then go and find the best price on a 04 or 05