PDA

View Full Version : Golf...

Tantal
08-16-2004, 06:30 AM
I went Golfing yesterday with a few friends and family members and here are a few various things that I learned during my time on the other side...

1. Clubs and accessories are ridiculously overpriced.
2. Memberships to various GC's/CC's are not only ridiculously overpriced but there's a dress code!
3. The game is extremely BORING.
4. Stay away from the old timers and staff if possible - both despise fun of any kind.
5. One must get extremly drunk & be the wheel man for ANY chance of fun.
6. Never go Golfing, even if everything (even the beer!) is free.

I hate Golf :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dhines
08-16-2004, 06:49 AM
I can't say I'm a big golf fan either - however, when faced with the option of sitting in a small office under florescent lights all day or riding around outside and putting down a 12 pack while beating the hel! out of a little white ball, golf can sound REALLY good!

trick450r
08-16-2004, 07:45 AM
i acually enjoy a game of golf every once in a while...gives you some time to relax...acually im going to work with my dad on wedsday and going golfing just after then going to a
meeting in our town....they want to prohibit the riding of quads in the entire town :eek2: :huh :(

bulkdriverlp
08-16-2004, 08:19 AM
sounds like you went to a ritzy type course where they have a crappy dress code. not all courses have that. i go to the cheap ones that arent classy and you wont get all that bad stuff happen to ya. but being worked at two different courses, its a lot of work keeping them up. so any body that wants to goof around (not saying you did) pisses them off big time.:blah:

sportraxrider10
08-16-2004, 11:46 AM
in my opinion....golfs no fun unless you are good. so in your case, you prolly suck and you had no fun.

wilkin250r
08-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree with sportraxrider 100%. Golf is no fun if you suck.

Ever just sit around with your friends and BS? Have a few drinks, have a few laughs, that's a major part of the appeal of golf.

Now, combine that with a game that is truly very challenging, without being physically difficult. It's not about competing against somebody else, it's about competing against yourself. It's not about stamina, or determination, or an aggressive approach. It's purely about skill. And thus, if you suck, the game isn't very fun.

But if you're good, it's a great game, and has all kinds of benifits. For example, on Friday, I got paid to play golf. Not only did I get a full day's wages (no, I did not take a vacation/sick day) but I also got to play on a great course, free beer and drinks, and dinner afterwards. I also got to grab the drink-girl's *****, and she was smokin hot.

Who says golf sucks?

sportraxrider10
08-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Who says golf sucks?

i dont

08-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I agree that if you are not good then golf is not fun. I went golfing sat. and had a blast. If can play a 4 man best ball scramble it makes it much funner. Sat we played OK not great and was 6 under which put us in 9th out of 36 teams. after 8 hours of golf and a couple dozen beer each your score seems to drop off at the end!!!!!!!

oldsandman
08-16-2004, 12:24 PM
The game of Golf can be extremely frustrating, boring, quirky and full of obscure rules that put off a newbie. Give it some time take some lessons and practice a lot and you’ll either love it or hate it! The cool thing about the game is it’s always different always changing. Be it the course, weather, lie or just your swing. Not many games give you the challenges, feelings of perfection or humility that golf can.

Tantal
08-16-2004, 01:33 PM
The game sucks, it's simply boring. 0 excitment. If it wasn't for the beer I probably would have curled up in some corner and took a long knap. It's a game that seems to be directed towards old folks, flamers, yuppies (my in-laws) and malamutes alike.

What does being "good" at a sport (or in the case of golf... game) have to do with liking it? NOTHING!

Golf is like fishing, it's simply used as an excuse to get out of the house and slam down brews.

Golf = old man game. Golf is NOT a sport! Golf is checkers!

Tennis is about 100 times more fun to play/watch than Golf. The only thing Golf has is the carts which can be fun at times.

If I want to sit around and BS/drink with a few friends I'll go to one of the many local strip clubs. Drinking w/ friends at a strip club gets the blood flowing more than the game of golf does.

Just my personal opinion mixed with various facts :D :cool:

08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tantal
Just my personal opinion mixed with various facts :D :cool:

Wow I must have missed the facts in there. sounds like you must suck at sports!!!!

Tantal
08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Wow I must have missed the facts in there. sounds like you must suck at sports!!!!

Sounds like the truth hurts, huh?

FYI: Golf is a game not a sport.

:D :cool:

wilkin250r
08-16-2004, 02:15 PM
What does being good have to do with liking it? Plenty.

If you're shanking the ball every which way, people are laughing at you behind your back because your divot went further than the ball did, and you just got a 12 on a par 3, then you're probably not having a whole lot of fun.

However, when you can line up with your buddies and hit the ball 50 yards farther than any of them, when you can hit the ball 250 yards and land 10ft from the pin, or you can chip the ball from 20 yards off the green and watch it role into the hole, you feel like you're on top of the world.

THAT'S why being good makes the game fun.

And as for being a sport, what's the criteria? What makes something a "sport" rather than a "game"? The gof swing requires more finesse and control than just about anything I can think of in any sport. It sounds like the only reason it's not a sport to you, is because you suck at it.:D

black box films
08-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Golf courses are wastes of space, they should all be turned into MX parks.

MOFO
08-16-2004, 05:27 PM
its amazing how ignorant people can be about stuff they either cant do or have never done.

I'm not good at golf (using my friends as a gauge)...but I still really enjoy getting outside, in the sun, drinkin beer and having a good time knocking a white ball around.... and every once and awhile, I'd get that huge hit or perfect fairway hit that puts me within a few feet of the pin. Its a great feeling and even better with good friends around.

I also have alot of respect for the people that are REALLY good at the game.... its not as easy as most people think.

oldsandman
08-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by MOFO

.... and every once and awhile, I'd get that huge hit or perfect fairway hit that puts me within a few feet of the pin. Its a great feeling and even better with good friends around...

That's it! That's what is so good about the game ever once in a while you feel god like.:D

Guy400
08-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I'll admit, I suck at golf. The best 9 holes I ever shot was a 49 and the best 18 was 107. That doesn't stop me and my friends from throwing a case of beer in a couple coolers and going out for a round. There are a few rules which must be followed in order for a new person to enjoy the game:
1.) One mulligan per 9 holes.
2.) Any shot traveling less than 6 feet doesn't count (except for putts) and a "redo" is allowed.
3.) Drinking and driving is is allowed on a golf cart.
4.) And the most important...DO NOT ENFORCE THE DICKIE!!! If your friend doesn't hit it passed the ladies tee do not start chanting "dickie...dickie..." and make him show you:devil:

If a new person plays by the above 4 rules the game will be much more fun. After 5 rounds of golf rules 2 through 4 no longer count so you better make sure you practice:D

Jellyrolls
08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
golf is fun

redrunner
08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
You can only get so good at them game playing recreationally, so the point is just to go out and have a good time (very difficult). If you hold yourself to high standards you end up beating yourself up. I got pretty good many years ago before quads and marraige, shooting in the upper 30's and it can be fun if you want it to be.
:D

MotoX3
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
golf is pretty fun...if i cant hit for poo that day i just like to have fun and happy gilmore it by running at the ball and swinging...otherwise i try to make it in a decent form:macho :blah:

250xridamatt
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Well im ok at golf. My dad hates it, but he has to go with his clients because hes an accountant and has to do stuff like that. I was just out in monterey california so i got to see some sweet courses like spyglass hill, and pebble beach. Its cool to stand on the course that you play on video games.

The course makes a big difference in fun factor too. Thinking, tiger woods played on this hole, makes it pretty cool. Plus play right next to the ocean would be sweet. I didn't get to golf cuz i was at the pebble beach concours d' elegance. It wouldn't be smart to start hitting golf balls on the 18th hole, since every car there is worth atleast $200,000. Some even up in the millions. Golf is fun when ur good. Face it, no one wants to suck at something and keep doing it!

Woodsrider
08-16-2004, 09:25 PM
MOFO, you and I need to hook up for a round of 18:D Finally someone in my league! I enjoy playing golf even though I only get out on average of three times a year and have never shot better than a 110 without cheating myself:o

I have actually had times where I got so frustrated I pulled out the trusty "hand wedge" after taking 9 strokes before I got within sight of the pin.:eek: I shot a 135 that day on a par 72 course with my in-laws, who all shot in the seventies.

Golf is fun but for the $20 it cost to play 18, I'd rather go on a poker run:devil:

bulkdriverlp
08-16-2004, 10:07 PM
i like golf, its relaxing ill tell ya why

1) 7am a chill in the air you arrive at the course, its quiet and still
2) hear the rumble of the greens mowers in the distance finishing up.
3) lighting up a fresh cuban cigar, the smoke hangs in the morning air.
4) get to the first tee, do a few stretches and listen to the chirping of the birds.
5) hit ur first tee shot long and strait, narrowly missing a seagull.
6)then taking nice easy strokes and keeping it in the fairway the rest of the round.
7) getting closes to the pin on the "beer hole".
)go home and take a nap!

ewalker302
08-16-2004, 10:12 PM
For me golf isn't as much about the game as it is hanging out with your buds and kicking back a few cold ones.

I'll be the first to say that it sucks to play a round with people who are no fun, but a day on the course with some friends is a great time.

:bandit:

Tantal
08-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
I also have alot of respect for the people that are REALLY good at the game.... its not as easy as most people think.

Not me. Anyone that is well funded and has the time to practice can be good at any game/sport, as long they're physically and mentally stable/capable, of course.

wilkin250r
08-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Who says Golf is boring? This is last Friday...

wilkin250r
08-17-2004, 12:22 PM
And of course, let's not forget the drinks!!!

MOFO
08-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Tantal
Not me. Anyone that is well funded and has the time to practice can be good at any game/sport

so you have no respect for anyone that is good at a sport? No respect for professional athletes? No respect for the top GNCC racers, such as Bill Balance? I think your blanket statement is WAY off!

True, all sports are different and require different types of skills, but you have to have respect for anyone that dedicates every waking moment to their hobby/sport and is "top dog".

BTW, Wilkins... nice pics! :devil: Got anymore?