PDA

View Full Version : Shock help sugestions

TM426
08-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Im 200 lbs and have stock shocks. Everytime I get over 5+ feet of air I bottom out. Either I need to go on a diet or I need new shocks. What do you think I should get? I dont race and dont want to spend $1000. Do you have to set up Works triple rate without rezzys and are they worth the money over stock? :confused:

Cole Trane
08-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Works are great compared to stock. Definatley worth the money. You could also go for elka triple rate without rezzies as long as you don't ride for over an hour at a time (straight). Then after you have more money or whatever, you can add rezzies. Either way, it would be a great step up from stock.

TM426
08-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Riding for over an hour hurts the shocks? I ride for maybe a couple hours before stopping but its mostly trails and periodic jumps but I dont race or ride long whoop sections. Do you have to have shocks w/o rezzys set up for rider wieght?

XCAdam89
08-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Riding for over a hour doesnt hurt the shocks, but without the res. the shock oil gets hot and does not work to its maximum potential, the elkas without res. are great, because you can add them later as you get the cash, either way, both shocks will be a huge step up from stock :)

440_Nick
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
If you find a set of TRX450R stock shocks on ebay or some where, you can fit those on there with a little bit of dremal work. Thats what I did until I can afford good aftermaket suspension. If you have any questions or want to see pictures let me know.

khen
08-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 440_Nick
If you find a set of TRX450R stock shocks on ebay or some where, you can fit those on there with a little bit of dremal work. Thats what I did until I can afford good aftermaket suspension. If you have any questions or want to see pictures let me know. That's what I did as well except the 450R fronts I bought were revalved for a 200lb(my weight) rider by TCS. I still bottom out when I drop from 5-6 ft in the air or case a big double, although I have mine adjusted soft at about midway on the compression adjustment and almost all of the preload taken out. I still wonder with the stock valving if you would have enough compression adjustment for a 200lb rider without making the ride to harsh.

BTW: They are still way better than the stock fronts...

Pappy
08-16-2004, 11:06 AM
here is the mods listed in your signature:
426 EX
Edelbrock carb
White bros. exhaust and bumper.
razrs
LSR carrier
burgard steering stem
tag bars
tinners air scoops
red powdercoat
NAC's graphics and ceet cover
shockwears
aluminum air box w/k&n

now stop belly aching and get some good shocks. Elka's are less then $1000 for tripple rates with rezzies and even less for dual rates. i promise you wont regret it.

TM426
08-16-2004, 01:45 PM
I bought a set of works triple rates w/o rezzies. I know their not elkas but still better than stock. I dont want to spend alot of money on them if I dont race and If im considering buying a 450 soon. Thanks for the help