PDA

View Full Version : ? for mickey dunlap

sparkplug300ex
08-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Mickey how much are your 330 big bore kits also how much are your oil cooler kits for a 300ex thankx

Kennethyfz450
08-15-2004, 03:09 PM
:eek2: :devil: :macho

Dunlap
08-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Don't even come over here and make a statement that I don't stand behind my stuff. Selector is a jerk and there was never anything wrong with anything I sold him. I bent over backwards for him and he finaly told me he was sorry for being a jerk in a PM after it was all said and done. If you think he was right then your as stupid as the rest of them.

SPARKPLUG300EX, I can't talk about pricing on here. I sent you a PM.

FSTwraith330
08-15-2004, 10:50 PM
another question for Mickey Dunlap.

I just bought one of your 330 kits, what other components should i buy to get the most out the kit? I mostly ride in open fields and rarely in trails. I don't want to have the shop do the motor work and i not get the most out of it. FST does not have a website anymore, to my knowledge which is a bummer. :(

Dunlap
08-16-2004, 08:14 AM
A cam & valve spring with a port & flow job will give you great power everywhere. I also have oil coolers to make it last alot longer.

wilkin250r
08-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
I would try to contact Gt thunder to see if they have a 330 kit for your 300ex.. because if you ever have a problem with something micky wont stand behind it.. where as i think gt thunder would or at least try to help you out.. they have a respectable reputation..

I am not saying Micky isn't a good guy.. i seen some threads over at bluetraxx where he was very friendly:eek2:

no flame intended..

i just dont want anyone get treated like selector did..Some people may not have the money to go out and buy different cams or any other thing related to that thread..

You know, I read that thread, and apparently I saw something very different. Before that thread started, I believe the number was TWENTY-SIX pm's that Mickey sent to selector trying to help him fix the problem.

Not only that, selector said that his motor was almost impossible to start with Mickey's cam, and it wouldn't idle at all. With the stock cam, it was a little easier to start, but still wouldn't idle at all. Obviously selector was having OTHER motor problems, but he wanted to blame all of the problems on Mickey's cam.

Even after all that, Mickey was STILL offering help. He would take the entire motor and fix it. If the problem was Mickey's products, he would fix it free of charge. If the problem WASN'T Mickey's products, then selector would pay for the repairs.

And then you come on here and say that Mickey Dunlap doesn't stand behind his products?!?:huh

Pappy
08-16-2004, 11:23 AM
dont you love my new signature:devil:

ranger400ex
08-16-2004, 02:22 PM
I know Mickey donna like me very well, but I must say,sparkplug300ex asked him a question not the peanut gallery...ie Kennyth whatever the heck that says. So let Mickey answer it.

BMW

C41Xracer
08-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I had a problem with Mickey in 97 or 98(cant remember)on a delivery date with my motor.After i got it back from him the motor was more than i expected (395cc 300ex) and the motor lasted for 4 years before i sold it.Yes he does have an attitude, but i would to if i had as many people knocking me and my work as he does.Is he a good buisness person- yes, can he get cranky- yes,does he build a good product- yes.So if you buy a 330 kit from him you wont be unhappy.

Dunlap
08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
I don't have a problem with dates any more because I don't give turn around times any more. I have found that I made a monster of a buiness that I can't feed. I have leared I can't do it all, but just do what I do the best I can do and that is good enough.:)

FSTwraith330
08-17-2004, 01:24 AM
how do i get ahold of FST cams and valve springs?

how come there is not a www.fst.com or fourstroketech.com?

Dunlap
08-17-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by FSTwraith330
how do i get ahold of FST cams and valve springs?

how come there is not a www.fst.com or fourstroketech.com?

CALL 814-842-6159 between 4-7 est. No website

jerry-89-250R
08-17-2004, 03:40 PM
hey Mickey pm me a price on a 250x timing chain, thanks

Dunlap
08-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Good point, but so far I have been on the forums for about 4 years and 95% of the bad mouthing I have seen was unjustified. Most of it starts with "I heard this or that" "A freind of mine said" or when the actual person like "selector" gets on and starts spouting off they never tell the whole story. Then when I step in everyone thinks they can jump on the band wagon with all these other stories (that are not true at best) and get away with it. I don't take any crap from people like that and I don't care if it chases a few people off. For the most part people with common sense can see the truth and this has not ever hurt my buisness, in fact I have seen it increase.

08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
It is true that there is not such thing as bad publisity!!! the more people here your name no matter if it is good or bad that is that many more people that know of you!!!!!!

Dunlap
08-17-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't know if I like it that way but it must be true because I can't ever get all my work done.

Badger_Skid
08-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Too many people get on sites like this one and start spouting crap about companies and their products. First, hopefully people are smart enough to "not" listen to these people and second, you never hear from the dozens of people who you bend over backwards and go out of your way to help out. I know for a fact that people like Mickey have helped so many people out and have never seen a "thank you" post. You won't find Mickey posting a post talking about what he did for a guy to gain support.

You reap what you sow, that's why I believe he's so busy.

Quite a few times I have talked with people who have trashed talked my products on a website and after talking with them and they sent them to me it wasn't even my product. You'll never see them post an apology on a web site.

Sorry, just a raw nerve with this one.

Lesson I learned many years ago, "Praise someone in public, rebuke them in private." You shouldn't air what you think is dirty laundry on a website, shows you have no character.

If you have a problem with someone, get a life and pick up a telephone and call the guy, if he sees a post slamming his products and then you call him how do expect him to react?

Ralph
08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
hey mickey you want a website, i dont know if u still own ur domain and hosting but even if u dont its not that expensive to get setup again. ill pm you if u want more info

C41Xracer
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
im sure some of it might be the truth, but i think it might be more of a trickle down effect.If one person has a bad experience with something then that person tells someone else and so on and so on.So more than half the people that are knocking his work have heard it from a brother, girlfriends, sisters friend and not from first or second hand expierience.I have had a first and second hand experience with FST and had a small conflict but the peformance of both motors more than made up for it.

Dunlap
08-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
hey mickey you want a website, i dont know if u still own ur domain and hosting but even if u dont its not that expensive to get setup again. ill pm you if u want more info

Thanks but no thanks, my buisness increased this year by 22% because I didn't spend 8hrs a week answering all the lookie-lues questions that my website generated. My problem is not lack of work, it's lack of time so anything that takes away from the shop has been done away with.

Dunlap
08-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Badger_Skid
Too many people get on sites like this one and start spouting crap about companies and their products. First, hopefully people are smart enough to "not" listen to these people and second, you never hear from the dozens of people who you bend over backwards and go out of your way to help out. I know for a fact that people like Mickey have helped so many people out and have never seen a "thank you" post. You won't find Mickey posting a post talking about what he did for a guy to gain support.

You reap what you sow, that's why I believe he's so busy.

Quite a few times I have talked with people who have trashed talked my products on a website and after talking with them and they sent them to me it wasn't even my product. You'll never see them post an apology on a web site.

Sorry, just a raw nerve with this one.

Lesson I learned many years ago, "Praise someone in public, rebuke them in private." You shouldn't air what you think is dirty laundry on a website, shows you have no character.

If you have a problem with someone, get a life and pick up a telephone and call the guy, if he sees a post slamming his products and then you call him how do expect him to react?

Wait till you see the 500r in the Oct. Dirt Wheels, I think you will like it.:)

wilkin250r
08-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I'd just like to say how funny I think this whole scenario is.

The stupid old cliche of "the customer is always right" is a fine theory, but in all reality many customers are NOT right. In fact, they are downright jerks, plain and simple. And the problem is that these jerks still think that business owners should bend over backwards for them.

And now, we have Mickey Dunlap, a business owner who doesn't have time to cater to a bunch of jerks. In fact, he won't put up with it at all, and I think that's great. He has no problem calling a spade a spade. If a customer is stupid, he'll tell them. If a potential customer is stupid, he'll tell them, too, even if it chases away some business. In fact, he's got work coming out of his ears, I think he prefers to chase away those customers that are a hassle, because it will give him more time to devote to his other customers, you know, the ones that aren't jerks.

Personally, I think that's terrific. Mickey has already said that he's not looking to make FST any bigger, just better. So he wants to concentrate on those customers that are important to him, rather than spending so much time dealing with customers that are a hassle.

Dunlap
08-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'd just like to say how funny I think this whole scenario is.

The stupid old cliche of "the customer is always right" is a fine theory, but in all reality many customers are NOT right. In fact, they are downright jerks, plain and simple. And the problem is that these jerks still think that business owners should bend over backwards for them.

And now, we have Mickey Dunlap, a business owner who doesn't have time to cater to a bunch of jerks. In fact, he won't put up with it at all, and I think that's great. He has no problem calling a spade a spade. If a customer is stupid, he'll tell them. If a potential customer is stupid, he'll tell them, too, even if it chases away some business. In fact, he's got work coming out of his ears, I think he prefers to chase away those customers that are a hassle, because it will give him more time to devote to his other customers, you know, the ones that aren't jerks.

Personally, I think that's terrific. Mickey has already said that he's not looking to make FST any bigger, just better. So he wants to concentrate on those customers that are important to him, rather than spending so much time dealing with customers that are a hassle.

See I'm not to hard to understand, I don't know why everyone can't see this, it's really simple:D

08-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
See I'm not to hard to understand, I don't know why everyone can't see this, it's really simple:D

I don't understand:confused: j/k!!!!!!

3x440ex
08-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I have my own bussiness and i can tell you, you can make a thousand people happy and they MIGHT tell a few people......but if you piss off just one person, they will tell as many people as they can and try and burry your *** in the ground......it's just our nature, we don't like to feel like we've been screwed.......even though in my bussiness most of the time it's not my problem, it's theirs, they're just too stupid to understand that......my general rule is....for every 100 custemers there's going to be that one person that you are NOT gonna make happy no matter what.

hondakiller
08-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Mickey,

Which is a stronger engine your YFZ470 or 500R?

Dunlap
08-19-2004, 07:56 PM
500r

jb500ex
08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
mickey do you have a 500 kit in for me yet

Dunlap
08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
I have one coming back mon., but sold it wen. Day late and a dollar short. sorry!

LaSalleKid
08-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Mickey what can you tell me about that YFZ470 kit. How much extra horsepower and torque would I gain is what i really wanted to know? And what are the pros and cons to it? Will it make it alot more competitive in my drag races.. in the 4 stroke heads up class that is. Right now I get 2nd place every race to a decked out 450r:rolleyes: but Im only losing by a tenth of a second. What do you think? Im sure i'll get you to do my motor as soon as I get it back running again after I wrecked it. The hub and A-arm are on their way so it will be very soon if you could make the time for me. I know your a busy man. Thanks in advance!

BIGBLOCKBILL
08-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for everything Mickey,my 500R runs great. i just bought another 450R so another 500 kit will be in order. I also own my own bussiness ( body shop) and know exactly how you feel. The way I see it is you don't need the ignorant people's bussiness or bussiness from the ones who listen to them.

LaSalleKid
08-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Mr Mickey feel free to pm me and answer them questions if you have time. Thanks,

-Michael

Dunlap
08-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by BIGBLOCKBILL
Thanks for everything Mickey,my 500R runs great. i just bought another 450R so another 500 kit will be in order. I also own my own bussiness ( body shop) and know exactly how you feel. The way I see it is you don't need the ignorant people's bussiness or bussiness from the ones who listen to them.

I just got one from Morgantown Honda, is this yours?

z400ACDC
08-21-2004, 06:04 AM
I don't know Mickey. I ordered a pipe years ago for a 300ex from him. But, as I read this thread, I can't help but think, how many engine builders get on here and try to answer our questions? IMO, we should all be thankful that people like Mickey and Jeff at the quad shop give us "FREE" advise!

BIGBLOCKBILL
08-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
I just got one from Morgantown Honda, is this yours?

It's for a friend of mine and Josh's. It will be a week or two before I order mine. I don't need the '05 until next year for the nationals.

hondakiller
08-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Mickey,

Any plans on building a YFZ500 or something to run with the 500R?

LaSalleKid
08-21-2004, 03:03 PM
Idl ike to see that. Is the YFZ470 really THAT far behind the 500r?

Kennethyfz450
08-21-2004, 03:55 PM
sorry micky

i went back and changed my first post and just put pictures on it..i shouldnt be in the middle of that in the first place .. i think its already died down anyways i dont hear to much about it anymore..

you do take the time and give advice:D

thanks for helping out man.. and forget about that stupid post i made.

300ex_rider1121
08-21-2004, 04:23 PM
hey mickey i was also wondring how much a 330 kit is and if u make a smaller kit that will still give me nice gains...just wondering how fast a 500r will go