PDA

View Full Version : Oregon dunes vs. Glamis

Seano
08-15-2004, 04:32 AM
can anyone compare oregon dunes with glamis? my buddies and i want to make a trip up to oregon dunes. being from southern california, we ride glamis and dumont dunes in winter and pismo in the summer. pismo sucks balls compared to glamis. but its the only place under 100 degrees in the summer. just want some opinions and comparisons.....to see if its worth like a 20 hour drive

norcalatver
08-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Seano, I have been going to the oregon Dunes for 3 years now. I've been to Glamis about a half dozen times. I personally like the Oregon dunes better for these reasons: The Oregon dunes encompass over 30,000 acres of riding. The trails consist of hills up to 400 feet tall. Not quite as tall as Olds or some of the others at glamis, but still very fun. there are do or die hills. Hills that if you go down , the only way out is up because of a lake at the bottom. There are thousands of lakes throughout the dunes and hundreds of thousands of trees you ride through. While Glamis is bigger, it cannot compare in climate nor beauty. I just got back and it was 80 degrees for a high. My family and I actually wore our bathing suits on one ride and went swimming in the ocean. This place is nothing like any riding area you've ever been to. The Oregon dunes are like riding in the Sierra Nevada Mountains on sand! The hardest part is all the different entrance points for all the riding areas. If you camp at Winchester for instance, you'll need to trailer to hauser, horsefall, florence, spinreel, etc.. We finally bought a house on the dunes so when we visit we always have a place to stay without having to bring our toy hauler with us. B.T.W., if your planning on going, you'll want to make a reservation for a dune camping spot at least 6 months in advance!

tator
08-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Oregon dunes all the way. I live 1 hour away so it’s my summer home. I talk to people that live near Glamis and they would rather spend the money to come to the Oregon dunes then go to Glamis. I have never went there but the Oregon dunes have trail ridding to open 6th gear pined ridding.:)

tator
08-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Here a couple pics Winchester bay they don't show the big hills but it shows it beautiful scenery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/shuteyefilms/013_NR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/shuteyefilms/016_NR.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/shuteyefilms/032_NR.jpg

I know I didn't get pics of the big hills sorry and don't forget that’s only Winchester. It’s not that hard to get a camp spot if it's not a big weekend.

dementedyouth55
08-15-2004, 02:45 PM
My friend went up to Oregon this summer to try it out. He rides at glamis and pismo. He compared Oregon dunes to pismo dunes. Everyone knows pismo sucks compared to Glamis. He said he will never go up there again. He would rather ride in the heat at glamis

Seano
08-15-2004, 06:24 PM
hmm. 2 different opinions???? now what do i do???

norcalatver
08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by dementedyouth55
My friend went up to Oregon this summer to try it out. He rides at glamis and pismo. He compared Oregon dunes to pismo dunes. Everyone knows pismo sucks compared to Glamis. He said he will never go up there again. He would rather ride in the heat at glamis
I always love it when someone talks of a third party and has no personal experience with the topic. I'd say your "friend" must've been smoking something to compare 32,000 acres of riding, alot of which he obviously didn't ride either because "he" was afraid or didn't take the time to do proper research or exploration. Pismo has 1,500 acres of hills that probably don't top 100'. Just my personal opinion and I've actually been to both riding areas. Glamis is awesome, but in the summer? forget it!

#1speedbump
08-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Maybe your friend was referring to Sandlake. It is comparible to Pismo in size but isnt even close to Florence, Coos Bay, Winchester, etc. The fun part about the lower Oregon dunes are the lakes and never ending trails. And yes the one way in one way out hill shoots are a kick. Just remember that these dunes change HOURLY, or so it seems. As with alot of other riding areas it always gets blown into new shapes. Take the trip and judge it for yourself, just be sure to have a few days to ride so you can ride all the areas. It may not be Glamis but it is ridable all year and rarely over 90

Tator-tot
08-17-2004, 02:33 AM
The only bad thing is that when it like 80 out the humity is outrageous you can see the steam coming of the sand at Winchester