PDA

View Full Version : taking engine apart

gona440
08-15-2004, 12:11 AM
hey i just recently started burning very bad and im about 99% sure its the rings so im taking the engine apart myself its the first time ive taken apart a 4 stroke quad engine but im having my friend who is a car mechanic help me do it is their any thing i should know being a first timer just any tips or anything thanks

also i bought the bike with everything done and im curious what kind of cam i have is their a way to know which is which?

440exwlspankyou
08-15-2004, 01:40 PM
To a newbie---> every set of bolts you take off of the motor, put into ziploc sandwich bags and label what they go to. Also get a repair manual of some sort . The pictures are worth a million dollars. Never overtorque bolts. The block is aluminum and WILL strip bolt hole threads. Work in a clean area with plenty of room. Use gaskacinch on installation of gaskets. use threadlocker blue on bolt threads. If you have a 440 use a metal head gasket from triple-r motorsports. I have never had a gasket leak from there. their address is : tripler@mhtc.net. My email is cngodfather@lycos.com. if you need help, I will try to answer your questions. I am in the middle of a crankshaft replacement and it is becoming quite involved.

gona440
08-18-2004, 02:09 AM
i got it all apart and the top of the piston their was something burnt to crisp oil i guess i was hopping to just replace the rings but now i probably need to get a piston kit has anyone had this before or knwo why the top of the piston is like that

440exwlspankyou
08-18-2004, 04:19 AM
what is the reason that you took it apart in the first place?
black deposits on top of the piston is not necessarily a real bad thing. My motor had a ton of black deposits. If you can take the piston to a spinning wire wheel and clean off of the top and bring it back to new , then the piston may be saved. Look at the walls of the piston and look for scoring marks. If it is scratched real bad then you probably still don't want to use it. And of course , the best check is using a set of calipers to measure precise tolerances. :p

gona440
08-18-2004, 10:38 AM
i took it apart in the first place because it was burning oil really bad. I pulled the plug out and it was soaked all the way up the threads in oil. the oil deposits fill the combustion chamber as well.......... it does not look very good i guess i will clean it up and replace the rings on the piston.

BSTURDIVANT
08-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Have the cylinder miced for wear- most likekly need oversize- good time to get higher compression piston as well as solve oil problems!

gona440
08-18-2004, 09:58 PM
yea im taking the parts into nmotion to have them checked out im running a 12.1 comp piston now and i dont want 13.1 because of the race gas but i hear JE has a new piston out thats a lot lighter so im going to check that out