PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex engine noise

machine
04-04-2002, 08:27 PM
i just had my motor rebuilt in my 95 300 ex and i'm getting an awfull tickin noise. valves are good and crank bearings are tight, motor did not make the noise before the rebuild, i took it back to where i had it done and the mechanic is puzzled, would putting a 99 top end on the stock 95 bottom end have anything to do with the noise? any ideas? :confused:

thanks, MACHINE

Leo
04-04-2002, 08:38 PM
vavlve adjustment..?

cam chain problems..?

if your mechanic is giving you that glossy-eyed blank stare, time for a new mechanic :D

Leo

DTRAIN
04-05-2002, 06:13 AM
Same thing happened to me on my 250x. I had a ticking, ignored it like an idiot. Had to get a whole new top end. What happened was my cam chain stretched and jumped time. The ticking that I heard was my valves hitting the piston. Eventually it hit the point where it wouldn't run. Like Leo said it sounds like a cam chain or valve adjustment problem. Does your quad seem to be running any different? Any loss of power? I would think about getting another mechanic to look at it. It is probably worth getting a second opinion.

330exracer
04-05-2002, 02:27 PM
u defiently prolly need a cam chain. if its not your cam and rockers it has to be the chain. i had the same problems snapped the chain and it hit oil pump if remember correctly. o **** forgot about heavy duty cam chain in my sig damn.

R-Crazy
04-05-2002, 05:47 PM
that sounds about right. if your mechanic doesn't know whats right, get a new one. There are plenty out there. Hey, 330exracer, i am moving to NJ and wanted to know if there are dunes locally or in NJ. If there are, would paddles work well for them. I have a primary pair for trail, maxxis razrs, but want to know if I shoould buy paddles for the dunes

330exracer
04-05-2002, 06:00 PM
no idea but i think their are i live in the central part so its all woods and ****.

DTRAIN
04-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Hold off on the paddles until you see the type of riding area you are close to. All of the area I ride, (north jersey) are all wooded trails and hardpack. South jersey has some "dune" type areas, but I do not think it is the type of dunes you are thinking about. I think it is more hard pack with some sand on the surface. There are plenty of people who ride these areas in south jersey that are on this forum. Maybe try the places to ride forum.