PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

exrider44
08-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Does anyone use the Honda gold bottle for their oil. I was using the Red bottle the guy at the dealer told me that once I start using this oil there is no going back to the red. Is this true? Also what is the diff of the two. One says moly I think the other doesnt.

exrider44
08-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Doesnt anyone run synthetic oil here?

Ken Klosterman
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
A few more oil changes on my R and I'll be going to Mobil 1 Full synthetic 15W50 on the engine side. Can't seem to get the 20W50 any more. The Honda Tranny oil (red bottle 85/90Weight) seems to work real good for the tranny side. I'm sticking to using that. In another post somebody stated they thought that Mobil makes the Honda branded oil.

Ken K :D

08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
iuse mobile 1 red cap in engine

benwa450r
08-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I use honda oil in grey bottle with moly on the engine side and red bottle in tranny. Make sure it is fully broken in before running moly in engine.

drthrottle
08-16-2004, 08:50 PM
The norm is break the motor in on conventional oil, Honda of course. I don't say "honda" because it's the best, it's not, just the most expensive. But, honda r&d's and designs the gaskets, critical engine tolerances, & oil passage ways specifically to these products. "Break in" is the shedding, expansion and contraction of repeated heat cycles, & conditioning of all friction effected moving parts inside an engine. If you use synthetic oil too soon the engine wiil not break in to appropriate tolerances(bad). If you try to switch to synthetic oil on a seasoned engine(worn) you will see more negative results than positive. You will definitely have gasket leaks due to a difference in absorption. Only run conventional in your tranny. Less heat and programmed slippage inside a tranny detract from the effectiveness of synthetic oil. That's personal experience!

sethg
08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
I totally disagree with the above comment about running only conventional. I run Motul 4T (5W-50 I believe) I've ran it in every quad engine I've ever had (even a racing 91 warrior with very worn transmission) and never had an issue. Its the first oil I changed my 450R with and will remain the only oil I use. Don't be scared by this guy with "experience," any good synthetic will protect just as much as "conventional", But eh, I'm just an engineer.

benwa450r
08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Synthetic is the best for your motor... after it is broken it.

ZRider400
08-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
iuse mobile 1 red cap in engine

ditto.

drthrottle
08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
ask around, take a poll, everyone has a diff opinion. Some keep their bikes for a season, and some keep them for years. But they'll all be diff. I build autos, bikes, and marine go-fasters and they seem to abide by the same guidelines. Thanks seth, good luck w/your rides. The fun is in figuring it all out for yourself, then you KNOW you're right(or at least you think).

TRX450R2
08-18-2004, 01:30 AM
Used motul 4t synth 4 years ' great stuff ,no probs:D

Antnee77
08-19-2004, 10:48 AM
It's okay to switch oils after break in? Say you break it in with Honda Oil so the bike is used to that, but then you switch to synthetic oil (Mobil 1)...that's okay for the engine.