PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance on 400ex Mods

apalusso
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
What SIMPLE modifications would you recommend for an 01 400ex. Everything is stock except a WB Slipon exhaust and twist throttle.

I am looking for modifications which I can do that are quite simple to do to make a difference on the dunes. Which stock parts should I take off and replace with high performance parts...without engine mods. I am not that great of a mechanic.

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

JDiablo
08-13-2004, 11:08 AM
you can't really get much more power unless you go into the engine,but UNI airfilter,no airbox lid,run a prefilter around the filter,jet the carb properly,get a full system...and maybe like drop in cam which really aren't that hard

JIMTED79
08-13-2004, 11:10 AM
GET THE HOLE EXHAUST SYSTEM AND THEN PUT A K@N FILTER ON THE INTAKE. REJET THE CARB AND SEE WHAT THAT DOES.:D

JDiablo
08-13-2004, 11:11 AM
i would not use K&N espcially in the dunes,be safe and use a UNI

jedman
08-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Easy things to do are remove the stock airbox lid and filter replacing it with an aftermarket filter like UNI filter and then putting on an Outerwears air box lid. Both together cost about 45-50 bucks. Alot of people change their gearing to get better high or low gains. If you don't have sand tires, they help alot for traction.
Other possibilities depending on your mechanical skills are rejetting the carb or removing the choke. Both of these aren't too hard and can be found out how to do on previous forums.

Samson
08-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i would not use K&N espcially in the dunes,be safe and use a UNI

Used K&N in the dunes for many years with no outerwears and have had ZERO problems.

400ex men
08-13-2004, 01:02 PM
removing the choke remove the stock airbox lid k&N and Curtis Sparks x6

hondarider2006
08-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Ask around....and find someone that knows what they are doing, and start tearing into the motor!! a 416 piston, Hotcam stg. II, and a rev box will work wonders in the dunes. Also, you can grind the welds out in the stock headers, remove your choke, go up on the pilot jet, remove your air box lid and install an after market filter, which one is your choice. And than re-jet to make up for the increase flow. Sand tires will be a big help, and possibly a 16t front sprocket. Some aftermarket suspension will help you a lot also....

apalusso
08-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all your help...I will start getting into that before the season starts.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Aaron Palusso

JIMTED79
08-14-2004, 07:39 PM
UNI FILTERS SUCK!!!! I'V BEEN RIDING WITH K@N'S AND OUTERWEARS RIGHT OFF THE CARBS ON MY BANSHEE FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.:grr:

cals400ex
08-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JIMTED79
UNI FILTERS SUCK!!!! I'V BEEN RIDING WITH K@N'S AND OUTERWEARS RIGHT OFF THE CARBS ON MY BANSHEE FOR YEARS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.:grr:

there isn't much proof here to back up the fact that uni's suck

actually, i have had great luck with ross pistons, sparks pipe, laeger suspension, elka shocks, etc. plain and simple: all the other aftermaket parts suck including JE, Wiseco, Axis, LRD, etc. :rolleyes: