PDA

View Full Version : really need to make sure i'm doing everything OK

nosliw
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
i just ordered an hmf slip on with 175 main a week ago. so far while i'm waiting for it i've put the needle in the 2nd clip from the bottom. i ordered a pilot screw adjusting tool, should be here tomorrow.

here's what is in my mind of what i'm going to do when the pipe comes. please tell me if i'm even close to doing the right thing.

pipe arrives.
i install pipe and 175 main jet.
i start my 400ex up.
i set the idle slightly higher than normal.
i adjust the pilot screw so it idles the highest and doesn't loose that "crispness" sound.
i set my idle back down to normal.
i do my plug chop----
1. let it warm up
2. aggressively rip through the gears into highest gear and hold WOT for 8-10 seconds
3. similtaniously pull in clutch, keep throttle WOT, and hit kill switch.
4. coast to a stop.
5.pull out plug *ok side note... can i let it cool down for a half an hour before i pull out the plug? the engine will be damn hot after doing this and the plug is in a hard enough spot-to-reach as it is*
6. inspect plug, if it's too dark i'll go with a smaller main, if it's too white i'll go with a larger main, and if it's the color of pancakes i'll jump with joy.

thank you so much in advance for helping me out

ReconRider25
08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
i think a 175 is gonna be really rich for the slip on. also why did u buy a tool to adjust the pilot? u just use a screwdriver. also besides the slip on get a filter and maybe even take the lid off the airbox. i got an hmf slip on with k&n w/outerwears and dynojet jetkit and it rips!! especially with 14 tooth front sprocket.:devil:

nosliw
08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
because i couldn't get at it with a screw driver.....

i forgot to add that i do have a k&n filter w/outerwear

but how does everything else look?

ReconRider25
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
my guess is cuz u didnt take the carb off. take the carb off makes things much easier and u wont strip things out.;) also when u do jetting u gotta test the plug for low trottle, mid, and top. so the plug chop isnt really best IMO.

nosliw
08-12-2004, 09:26 PM
yea, ive read a few things on that and i'll do that too, but my main concern is getting the plug out when its hot, is it still ok and give me an accurate reading if i wait for it to cool down?

ReconRider25
08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
yea itll give the same reading. unless ur extremely rich where the plug is wet.

nosliw
08-12-2004, 09:59 PM
so the needle in the 2nd clip from the bottom is fine? that's what they recommended. i guess i'll have to see if it's fine or not, but it seems like it would be right on, or really messed up if it was. doesn't seem to me like that would be an area of precise fine-tuning.

after i do this i'm done with engine mods.

hondarider2006
08-13-2004, 01:46 AM
the 175 mj is going to be way to rich on a stock motor, and just a slip-on and a filter. Also, leave the needle in the stock position. Install a 42 pilot, and go about 2 turns out on the air/mixture screw. You don't need a "special" tool to do this, all you need is a flat head screw driver. If your not 100% sure on how to install jets and what not, check this thread out, it explains it in %100 detail;) Jetting a 400EX (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832)

nosliw
08-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
the 175 mj is going to be way to rich on a stock motor, and just a slip-on and a filter. Also, leave the needle in the stock position. Install a 42 pilot, and go about 2 turns out on the air/mixture screw. You don't need a "special" tool to do this, all you need is a flat head screw driver. If your not 100% sure on how to install jets and what not, check this thread out, it explains it in %100 detail;) Jetting a 400EX (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832)

no, just a regular flathead will not reach the pilot jet when the carb is on. it is behind the idle adjustmant bracket and has no more than 3-4 inches of clearance underneath it. i can get my hand in there with just a flat head bit, but my hand would be snug against the motor. i dont want to get burn.

why not touch the needle?

insaneracin2003
08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
I went with a 165 main and it was wayyyyy too rich,i went down to a 155 main with an aluminum airbox and outerwears lid w/ a uni filter............she rips now

nosliw
08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by insaneracin2003
I went with a 165 main and it was wayyyyy too rich,i went down to a 155 main with an aluminum airbox and outerwears lid w/ a uni filter............she rips now

what's your elevation?

down here in auburn in the valley it's like no more than 100ft above sea level. and the highest place i found that i ride is like 300ft above

insaneracin2003
08-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
what's your elevation?

down here in auburn in the valley it's like no more than 100ft above sea level. and the highest place i found that i ride is like 300ft above
in Houston it cant be much higher than you ,if any.
i left my needle in the stock loc and 2.5 turns out on the air mix screw

hondarider2006
08-13-2004, 01:06 PM
no, just a regular flathead will not reach the pilot jet when the carb is on. it is behind the idle adjustmant bracket and has no more than 3-4 inches of clearance underneath it. i can get my hand in there with just a flat head bit, but my hand would be snug against the motor. i dont want to get burn.

why not touch the needle?

So why not just take the carb off?? Easier to re-jet it anyways like that.

nosliw
08-15-2004, 04:04 PM
So why not just take the carb off?? Easier to re-jet it anyways like that.

because im supposed to adjust the pilot screw while the engine is running.

atvracr350
08-15-2004, 04:13 PM
actually if you are just changing the main jet and adjusting the mixture screw it is way easier to leave the carb off. i also thought it would be easier to take the whole thing off but i ended up stripping three screws off different parts of the carb and one on the airboot connecting too the carb trying to get it off so i would recommend leaving the carb on.

nosliw
08-15-2004, 04:22 PM
so besides being too rich on the main, i'm doing everything alright? i'll be doing a plug chop at 1/4,1/2,3/4, and WOT. about that, is this how it will be going?

when im going for 8-10 seconds in whatever throttle position im testing, i pick the highest gear i can START OUT IN AND REMAIN IN without the engine dying off the line or winding to the moon?

nosliw
08-15-2004, 07:20 PM
^^^bump

hondarider2006
08-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't say rev the hell out of it, but don't bogg it way down. Keep it at what seems "normal"

nosliw
08-16-2004, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't say rev the hell out of it, but don't bogg it way down. Keep it at what seems "normal"

so i do or do not shift during the plug chop?

also how did you mark the throttle so you know your at 1/2, 1/4, ect... or did you just feel for it?

nosliw
08-16-2004, 02:55 PM
bump

:D last questions i swear

hondarider2006
08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
so i do or do not shift during the plug chop?

also how did you mark the throttle so you know your at 1/2, 1/4, ect... or did you just feel for it?

Yes shift, as far as knowing where your at, I would just feel for it.