PDA

View Full Version : MX Raptor? What Mods? or New Quad?

BlackRaptor
08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
I have a Raptor and I don't What to buy for it make it lighter and better for MX, or do I need a 250r or 400ex. If I sell it I will have around 4500. Or I can spend money on what I got. Its got some stuff but what next?

03EX
08-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Personally I would go with a yfz450 but!! your set up so far isnt that badwhat kind of tracks are you going to go to? maby do diff a-arms, and get it lower to the ground first!you can definatly work with what you got!
cdi box
a-arms+2
sprokets&chain
tires?
cams

just my opinion! I think thay have plenty of power just top heavy!
but definatly worth building!!

400exrider04
08-15-2004, 07:39 PM
ya man raptors can definetly be made into sweet quads i would keep it and put
+2 aarms
+4 axle
high comp piston
cams
some mxr4 tires
and some elkas on it and it will be one sick race quad

Parrella450
08-15-2004, 07:57 PM
well i can see if you planning to go pro or suttin they yea you would want a 450 or suttin...but my friend runs the NEATV-MX circut and that includes Southwick(if you dont know its one of the roughest tracks known)...he runs open b and he beats those 450s right off the line and in the long run....also i dont know if you have talked to him but Dsracer666 runs a DS650 which is a big bike to throw around and he moves right around those 450s...so as long as you got a good set of wheels and tires...axle and a front end you should do fine...with a strong motor too...as long as your capable riding wise i dont see why you would have a problem.

03EX
08-17-2004, 06:07 PM
I rode with a couple of friends this past weekend and both have YFZ450's and we have a decient circle track and there was a raptor there "dont know what mods " but beat both of them bad!!!

TCracin440ex
08-19-2004, 10:06 PM
if your going to hook a raptor up dont do the plus 2 a-arms....LT plus 3 all the way...and u might want to think of some sprockets, and some kenda klaws, shave your front plastics, bumper, and nerfs, lets not forget a kill switch

far as making it lighter, i really have no suggestiongs to make a raptor lighter unless u ditch the head lights and swingarm skid...

BlackRaptor
08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
I think I might just get a 450r cause I only weigh like 145 and that quad is just to heavy and I have YFZ shocks with the preload spacers all the way backed off to make it lower and I have aftermarket linkage in the back, but now I have no suspension travel. I ride at my house and at rausch creek on occascion on the MX track and yesterday when I went it started popping and sputtering at like 1/4 throttle after like 2 hours of riding. I think the something wrong with the fuel flow, iono. Then I would let it sit and it would run for a little while. Also I have the the thermostat out and the cooling fan runs all the time so I don't think its over heating, and the temp light never came on. So wats up?

TCracin440ex
08-21-2004, 01:53 AM
sounds to me like a dirty air filter or either a jet is loose in the carb

Parrella450
08-21-2004, 07:51 PM
yea....ive had my fair share of problems with my raptor before i sold it...sounds like it needs to be rejetted...airfilter....( like TCracin said) or what i did is i ripped out the parking brake and reverse rev limiter wires mounted on the bars that run right to the e-brake on the rear caliper...that piece of shyt gave me more problems..my god...good luck

kostelini18
08-25-2004, 06:18 PM
im just wondering but what would a raptor be like if it was stroked down to a 450...has it ever been done

TCracin440ex
08-25-2004, 06:26 PM
ok...why would u want to destroke something THAT Much...i mean its a 660 cc....and plus its bigger than the 450 machines so it needs just about all that motor to turn over that weight. so imagine a yfz 450 motor in a heavy raptor frame and you will still have the tippyness of a raptor just with a smaller engine

why spend the money destroking it when you can go get a yammie yfz 450 or a 450r and turn out just as quick or quicker lap times than a raptor

kostelini18
08-25-2004, 06:38 PM
cause you cant run a 660 in the 250 class and i wasnt recomending it i was wondering if anyone has ever done it

TCracin440ex
08-25-2004, 06:40 PM
i knew u cant run a 660 in the 250 class but why would u want to anyways raptors are heavy....so if u destroked the motor to a 450 cc u still have the weight of a raptor only less ccs to move her....that would be like a ds650 with a warrior motor in it...

03EX
08-27-2004, 07:58 PM
If your going to get a 450 than get the YFZ mutch faster than the Honda, alot better stabilty and turning also.

Parrella450
08-27-2004, 08:12 PM
thats not true...the honda is just as fast...stock for stock the yamaha is quicker...but once there all moded...its all the rider

jjthekj
08-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I agree. Let's face it. If you want to race MX, you will be modding the bike heavily. When you get done (are they ever really done) you probably don't want to look back and find you had put all that time and $ into the wrong quad.
I would suggest picking up a used race bike that already has lots of goodies on it. Folks are cutting loose some great 250R's for dirt cheap in favor of the new 4 strokes. Grab one, set it up, and go racin'.
:devil: