PDA

View Full Version : YFZ sprocket...

freakystone
08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Sporting a YFZ these days and as many of you owners know, it just doesnt truck and lug well. I know, perhaps I should have held on to one of the Z400's or 400EX if I wanted to truck and lug and trail ride in my older years but I still have the need for power.

So to my question... Is anyone running a smaller front sprocket and how does it run?

Thank much fellas.

jlhughes750
08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
I like 14-37 stock is 14-38.....

if u go lower in the frt. thinking of getting more truck and lug grunt in the woods, you may make it worse........Look at it this way, first is too revy in the woods always wheelying, 2nd has no guts and might stall...... by dropping a tooth in the rear you'll make that 1rst gear more usable at a more broad range...and then when u grab 2nd the bike will be in different RPM range then before. Its sounds backwards but it works great for me!!

08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I have not changed my gearing at all. I have talked to some people that did go down a tooth on the front sproket and loved it. For racing I don't think it is a good idea, but for jsut playing around on the trails it might work great. Unless you are taking off at race speeds you need to slip your clutch to get going quite a bit. dropping one tooth on the front would help overcome this.

Dodge 1 Ton
08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I ordered my 13 tooth front the day I bought my YFZ. I rode it once before I got them changed. Man what a difference. In the woods and hill climbing are perfect now.

SRH
08-14-2004, 12:13 PM
ive got 18 inch klaws with 15-36 gearing i think 2nd is too low 3rd is too high is the problem im having

freakystone
08-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I took her down to the Badlands this weekend and although it was awesome as always on the hills and sand and open trails, it sucked in the light mud, technical trails and water.

I know, I know, it is a quasia race bike. But surely half of the YFZ's out there are used just like mine... Not on the track.

I think I will drop a tooth up front and see what happens. Worse come to worse, I just need to plan on clutching like I did when I had my Dales.

I still wouldnt trade the YFZ for anything out there right now. Now a LTZ450 or RM450F or what ever Zuk will call it, with reverse might sway me.

On another note, I again saw a ton or TRX450's. Many more than YFZ's but more than once I saw some poor sap kicking the snot out of theirs to fire it. WTF. Are they just stupid or is it that hard to start those?