PDA

View Full Version : oregon dunes sound ticket

sand-racer
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
hello,
I just received a sound ticket in florence Oregon on the dunes and i was wondering the best way to reduce it or even better, get it removed.

Here are the circumstances:

I have a yfz450 with an lrd pipe

I was just sitting at the end of a trail waiting for my friend

It was the first ride, I had ever ridden the bike, just purchased it

It was a sheriff on a raptor

When he sound checked me he had no help so i had to hold the testing unit

The wind level was floating around 89-91 db

he checked me at 4500 rpm

it was 105 db

i will do anything i can to fix it and make it legal

i just didnt know i have a speedometer in my car but i dont have a decibal meter on my quad

I now am the proud owner of a $142 ticket

any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Wes

P.S. Will this go on my driving record considering it is a traffic ticket? why would it be traffic?

JOEX
08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
It seems a bit f'ed up that you had to hold the meter:huh I thought it was a one person task.

Did the officer tell you to hold it this way:

As defined by state and federal law, vehicle sound is measured by a decibel meter positioned 20 inches and 45 degrees from the exhaust outlet.
There is also a part about the motor being a percentage of the factory rated rpm. Not sure what that is though.

Try writing a letter to the court explaining the situation maybe it will be dropped, doubt it though. They may say to plead not guilty then fight it in court. Probably not worthwhile because you'll have to do it at the county court house.

Let us know how things go. I really think that you having to hold the meter is wrong. Good luck;)

sand-racer
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Is there any place i can find the rules. the exact codes of which you need to abide by. i know in all the pamphlets it says 93 db but is there any way i am supposed to know how they are to test. Where can i find the percentage of rpm that they test at? What is the max rpm on the yfz? There are just so many unknowns that i have right now. thank you for your help Wes

P.S. I looked at the ticket again it is not $142 it is only $141 I guess that is a start

JOEX
08-12-2004, 10:14 PM
This link might get you started..... Just found it again :p
http://www.oohva.org/index.html

As for the rmp limit, does it say in the owners manual? I'm guessing it is when the rev limiter kicks in. But that may be too high:confused:

Didn't I buy some trx90 a-arms from you?

kamikaze_rzrbak
08-13-2004, 02:16 PM
to get your output as low as possible be in nuetral and hold in your clutch;)

Dextreme
08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't think you are going to be able to fight it as how the officer checked ya it pretty standard at Florence. They will even explain to you how they are testing as you hold the mic at an angle.

Tip: If you pull the choke, you can get the db's to drop a little. :p

mar400ex
08-13-2004, 07:28 PM
yea, I live in Coos Bay and I got a ticket like 5 days after I got my bike cause I bought it used and it had 14 rings in the White Bros. pipe, $75 dollar ticket and trust me there is no fighting it, they just say that now you know what sound level you sould be at...but here's my advice, next time you see a cop in the trucks or on the bikes take off, run because they ususally can't keep up.

sand-racer
08-13-2004, 07:53 PM
you better believe that is what i do. but this guy caught me off guard he came up to me when i was just parked sitting at the end of the trail waiting for my friend to catch up. i will write a letter just telling everything that happened. Worst that could happen isi get the full ticket. Wes

InsAyneROostin
08-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by mar400ex
but here's my advice, next time you see a cop in the trucks or on the bikes take off, run because they ususally can't keep up.
Bro, that is THE most unintelligent thing you could possibly do when a cop is after you! Whether it be dune cops, or street cops, they'll get you even worse for running away from a sound test. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Because they CAN keep up, my cousin did that same thing out at winchester bay on 4th of july weekend, and they caught up with him at his camp. Threw him in jail for 2 nights as a result. Now he owes something like 780 dollars for running from an officer. Don't listen to people like this guy, he'll just get you into more trouble than it's worth. I say take the heat and get it over with. Is it really worth it to get snagged even worse for running from a simple sound test? You make the choice. Peace.

Jordan

ridered03
08-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Is there a db limit at glamis???

allmixedup047
08-19-2004, 01:56 PM
it should be a non moving violation so i wouldnt think it would hurt your record. but there is no telling what they will do.:confused:

mar400ex
08-19-2004, 01:59 PM
no, it doesn't go on your record...in the Oregon Dunes there are only 2 things that go on your driving record, Wreckless Driving and DUI.

noslo_1
09-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Here's a great tip don't ride there anymore. That's why I don't ride there because there the only one's that check that stuff.

Dextreme
09-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Just don't get caught drag racing...its a $421! Yikes!:eek2:

noslo_1
09-10-2004, 11:55 PM
you'll only get the ticket for drag racing at florence

sandspanker
09-11-2004, 12:18 AM
:oYou will get a ticket at Windchester Bay also. My buddy got a warning last weekend. As long as they do not see you it is somewhat ok, The real problem is drag racing at the flat @ the day use,where the kids learn how to ride. That is the main ***** at windchester bay @ least that is what the cop said.;)

Dextreme
09-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by noslo_1
you'll only get the ticket for drag racing at florence

Not true, last weekend several Drag racing tickets were handed out at Sand Lake too. You can get ticketed at Coos Bay, and Hauser too. ;)

twisted threads
09-11-2004, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Dextreme
Not true, last weekend several Drag racing tickets were handed out at Sand Lake too. You can get ticketed at Coos Bay, and Hauser too. ;)

Yep they were out giving tickets at boxcar and Hauser during Labor day weekend.:( ...... I seen them and RAN!!:cool:

bigbadktm
09-11-2004, 10:34 AM
they hit you guys for racing? what kinda chit is that? thats what most of teh riding at the hills in glamis is, and then the huge drags off a gecko.

i have heard that they do sound checks at glamis, but have not been witness to one. now, i am worried that my bike wont pass if i get stopped. i guess i can pull some rings outta the e-series.

twisted threads
09-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by bigbadktm
i now, i am worried that my bike wont pass if i get stopped.

I know that my 450r and my 250r will not pass and my 440 would be very close but I don't care I just try to watch who is around when I race but im sure my luck will run out some day.

mar400ex
09-13-2004, 10:27 AM
a cop told me last weekend that they're picking out 4-strokes because they know that no 4-strokes with an aftermarket pipe will pass the test, so be careful out there guys.

pnut420
09-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by InsAyneROostin
Bro, that is THE most unintelligent thing you could possibly do when a cop is after you! Whether it be dune cops, or street cops, they'll get you even worse for running away from a sound test. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Because they CAN keep up, my cousin did that same thing out at winchester bay on 4th of july weekend, and they caught up with him at his camp. Threw him in jail for 2 nights as a result. Now he owes something like 780 dollars for running from an officer. Don't listen to people like this guy, he'll just get you into more trouble than it's worth. I say take the heat and get it over with. Is it really worth it to get snagged even worse for running from a simple sound test? You make the choice. Peace.

Jordan

Yeah it isnt smart, I got busyed in Pismo for running from the cops after doing 55+ on the beach, sure they couldnt catch me...... until I got back to camp they swarmed us. They let us off easy with a beach ticket only but could have thrown us in jail(they actually had fun with us). Anyway just trying to help show that it isnt worth it and just makes our sport look worse.

mar400ex
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
well that's your fault for going back to your camp, and for leaving your bike out for them to spot...you should know they're looking for that bike...you can get away from them with enough will...I've seen it done many times.

allmixedup047
09-15-2004, 10:12 PM
well that's your fault for going back to your camp, and for leaving your bike out for them to spot...you should know they're looking for that bike...you can get away from them with enough will...I've seen it done many times.
what the hell was he supposed to do? ride off into the sunset?:rolleyes:

Thump_It
09-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
what the hell was he supposed to do? ride off into the sunset?:rolleyes:

....Well he could of tried that....I say just take the ticket, you could think about buying a new exhaust or whatever but that would be a whole lot more money than just sticking with your pipe and taking the chance of getting a ticket. You'd have to get a few of those tickets to add up to a new pipe. I guess just pay attention to where you are at and who is around you.

twisted threads
09-16-2004, 03:01 PM
One thing I always do is act like I don't even see them (sound patrol) siting there and I just ride by then I get out of the area.....really fast. but If the look at me and I see them call me over im not going to run.......Its not worth it.

schootar
09-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by twisted threads
One thing I always do is act like I don't even see them (sound patrol) siting there and I just ride by then I get out of the area.....really fast. but If the look at me and I see them call me over im not going to run.......Its not worth it.

Sounds like a good idea to me.:)

EPDP99
09-21-2004, 02:55 PM
They are giving tickets for racing at glamis and buttercup. I have never seen them do that or even hear about the sound checks. I know I will fail with my 465. Man what a rip.

bigbadktm
09-23-2004, 02:31 PM
where are they giving tickets for racing at glamis? they have the drags every friday and saturday night, off gecko. then all the drags at oldsmobile. how are they managing to give tickets for that?
sound, i know is true. heard about that. they also ticket for spark arrestors in glamis. you know...sand is flammable, that whole place could go up...lol

416rider
09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
californias db level is 91 which is tighter than oregon i get the sheet all the time when they send me my registration sticker and the cops here now how to ride it would be so damn hard to get away.

XANDADA
09-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
to get your output as low as possible be in nuetral and hold in your clutch;)

Is that true???

bigbadktm
09-23-2004, 08:44 PM
from what i heard, they conduct the test. so not sure if they are gonna let you try that.

kamikaze_rzrbak
09-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
Is that true???
i read that on FMF's website

airheadedduner
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
THey conduct the test. They also check your choke cause they know that. My 445 passes with 6 discs in the promeg. There is no getting out of that ticket. AN LRD will never pass.

mar400ex
09-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I still say just run.

267ex
10-04-2004, 03:53 PM
sound tickets are chit, i love hearing piped 4stroke's wide open when were sitting around camp. whats the point of a ticket neways?:huh

Ive only been to dumont & armagosa......

airheadedduner
10-04-2004, 10:52 PM
All the OR dunes are by residential areas. Its still BS but its the rules. I usually don't give a crap but if I do see the sound cops its no big deal to pull some discs.

04-KFX400
10-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 416rider
californias db level is 91 which is tighter than oregon i get the sheet all the time when they send me my registration sticker and the cops here now how to ride it would be so damn hard to get away.

Incorrect...California is 96db --> Click Here (http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23037)