PDA

View Full Version : 300ex\250x riders with 400 a arms

QuAdEr 317
08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
if you have a 300ex or a 250x with 400ex a arms on it. i am curious to know what kind of shocks ur running n what length n how much they cost? n does it ride well?

300exOH
08-12-2004, 10:48 AM
First of all...it's a bad setup. There are hundreds of threads on this. I'd do some research through the old posts before doing it. I had the setup on mine for about a year and I didn't like it. If you are looking for width go for some used 300ex aftermarket a arms and shocks. You'll be much happier in the long run.

08-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
First of all...it's a bad setup. There are hundreds of threads on this. I'd do some research through the old posts before doing it. I had the setup on mine for about a year and I didn't like it. If you are looking for width go for some used 300ex aftermarket a arms and shocks. You'll be much happier in the long run.

kid you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about:rolleyes:

I have burgard 400ex +2 a-arms and works dual rate front shocks. i had works make for me for the conversion so i didn't have to make a new upper shock mount, i got my a-arms through pappy and i called up works, told them what i'm doing and they made em and shipped them, they've done it many times before, if i recall right my shocks were around 350.00 w/o rezzies. I HIGHLY recommend putting a 400ex plus 2 front end on a 300ex it is by far the best set up that money can buy for that quad.

Don't listen to 300exOH, Buy a 400ex front end they are awesome!! :macho

As for the bumpsteer that everyone talks about, if you don't look for it, you don't notice it, my philosophy, it's barely trhere anyway:macho

MotoX3
08-14-2004, 10:14 PM
well..first check out 300exOH's profile....i wouldnt be callin him kid....2nd i belive i read something a while back where Jeff commented it wasnt a good/wasnt the best set up...correct me if im wrong....and i think he knows a little more than you....not trying to be snotty or anything just saying:macho ...again not meaning to flame D23 just commenting bro:D

bradley300
08-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by D23QuadMXer

I have burgard 400ex +2 a-arms and works dual rate front shocks. i had works make for me for the conversion so i didn't have to make a new upper shock mount, i got my a-arms through pappy and i called up works, told them what i'm doing and they made em and shipped them, they've done it many times before, if i recall right my shocks were around 350.00 w/o rezzies. I HIGHLY recommend putting a 400ex plus 2 front end on a 300ex it is by far the best set up that money can buy for that quad.

As for the bumpsteer that everyone talks about, if you don't look for it, you don't notice it, my philosophy, it's barely trhere anyway:macho you obviously dont know what YOU are talking about and dont ride fast enough to notice the major bump steer issues. the tierod end location is different at the steering stem AND spindle, which throws all the steering off, the balljoint angles are also different. there aee plenty of threads and explainations to back me up and prove that you are wrong

300exOH
08-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by D23QuadMXer

As for the bumpsteer that everyone talks about, if you don't look for it, you don't notice it, my philosophy, it's barely trhere anyway:macho

You apparently don't know $h!t yourself. I happen to have personal experience with the setup and I have since researched it in great detail. You can say whatever you like about the conversion and I can tell you I know for a FACT that the setup is no good. How many CORRECT front end setups have you tried? And you have the nerve to call me KID??? I have more mechanical experience in my little finger than you'll ever have.:blah: :blah: :blah:

BTW thanks for backing me up Bradley and MotoX3

300exOH
08-15-2004, 10:17 AM
D23QuadMXer I also happen to have 15 years of life experience over you. Who's the kid now???

blasterkiller14
08-15-2004, 02:08 PM
The dispute between all you guys about the 400 front on a 300ex is kind of annoying. There are soooo many posts on this. It all comes down to safety, not who is the smartest. IT may be good in some ppls opinions but the bumpsteer created by swapping front ends is a major safety issue. You may think your quad is better until you are haulin down some trial and your front tire catches a tree or hole or something, and the bumpsteer yanks the bars out of your hands and breaks you arm or something. Get a-arms meant for your quad. I say its neither a good or bad idea, but you are taking a major gamble with your safety.

300EX_HMF
08-15-2004, 05:18 PM
i have no problem what so ever with mine and there is hardly any bumpsteer at all, in my opinion its way the **** better

bradley300
08-15-2004, 07:51 PM
i garruntee you wouldnt be saying that if you switched to a quadshop LT set up. you wont know what you have is crap until you do it the right way

redrunner
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Dudes! (D23 300exhmf) Safety first as posted dozens of times,everyone on here that tries these mismatched conversions and says it works. don't you think that if it was good there would not be much controversy. we are just trying to point out the best way to set up your quad and the safest.
300exoh and I have nearly identical set ups and they were done under the advice and guidance of other people that know better. We are older and we listened and learned the proper way to do this. we do not want to promote any unsafe or incorrect info, take it or leave it just don't come ******in later!

Rebelrider4OOex
08-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i garruntee you wouldnt be saying that if you switched to a quadshop LT set up. you wont know what you have is crap until you do it the right way

yea but most of these guys odnt got that kinda cash to fork out so they are looking for a less xxpensive way for wider arms and better shocks

bradley300
08-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex
yea but most of these guys odnt got that kinda cash to fork out so they are looking for a less xxpensive way for wider arms and better shocks

right, but the cheap way dosent work as wel as they think, not to mention it is not the SAFE way. if you dont have the money, dont just cheap out on parts, work hard, save your money and do it right the first time

300exOH
08-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
right, but the cheap way dosent work as wel as they think, not to mention it is not the SAFE way. if you dont have the money, dont just cheap out on parts, work hard, save your money and do it right the first time

Exactly. The reason people say the setup doesn't work well is because it can be unsafe at high speed. The bumpsteer issue isn't noticeable at normal speeds but at high speed things could get ugly. It just drives me nuts when everyone says they don't have the money to do expensive upgrades. If you can come up with the cash to buy a quad in the first place then you should be able to work your *** off and afford a few upgrades. Better handling can be had without spending a fortune.

tp300ex
08-16-2004, 03:16 PM
j/w..will the 400ex stock a arms fit the 300ex and will the stock shocks fit rite on??

blasterkiller14
08-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
j/w..will the 400ex stock a arms fit the 300ex and will the stock shocks fit rite on??

Hahaha
Shocks=good idea (with mount relocator)
A-arms=bad idea

The shocks from a 400 work awsome with +2 300ex arms, the 400ex arms is a bad idea and is a safety risk.

ghak99
08-16-2004, 08:32 PM
I run the adjustable stock 250r a arms with 16" custom axis shocks, and love the set up. My frame has been modified and gusseted to accept 16" shocks, I simply wanted to do it right instead of trusting a bolt on bracket. In the near future I plan on going with +3+1 250x a arms in order to see if I gain any handling improvements, but I am putting a stroker crank and big bore kit in it after this season and have no money left to try a new set of a arms right now. I have never noticed the bump steer that everyone speaks of, but race mostly tight motocross tracks and oval flattracks. All I can say is my current setup is 10 times better than stock was, and I am very happy with it for now.

My .02 ;)

roostin_dale
08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Im not gunna sound like an *** because 300exOH and bradley know their stuff....

But I use to have a laeger/works 300ex front end. I switched to 400ex +2 a-arms and TCS shocks vustom length for the conversion. This is much better than laeger...

bradley300
08-20-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Im not gunna sound like an *** because 300exOH and bradley know their stuff....

But I use to have a laeger/works 300ex front end. I switched to 400ex +2 a-arms and TCS shocks vustom length for the conversion. This is much better than laeger...

the quadshop LT set up is what i am talking about