PDA

View Full Version : custom 250x oilcooler

whtknckleracng
08-12-2004, 09:09 AM
hey guys
i did a search on 250x oil coolers the otherday and someone said that a transmission cooler works. so i went to auto zone and bought a 30 dollar tranny cooler. in the cooler box there wasnt enough tubing so i went to TRUE VALUE and bought some more because i mounted the cooler up near my bumper. I also bought some weird little 90 degree angled copper things and threaded them into my oil filter cover, ran the hoses, and i kicked the motor over a bunch of times to get the oil flowing, and that was it! total cost was $40 compared to the other $225. If you decide to try this dont be afraid its a simple task and to check to see if its working just feel the lines to see if they are hot!

wilkin250r
08-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah. Transmission cooler, oil cooler, they are basically the same thing, and making your own is certainly possible.

The main thing you need to look out for is restriction. Pumping oil up through a cooler takes more energy than it's normal route through your oil filter cover. If you add too much restriction, you get less oil flow, and can actually make your heating problems WORSE. The aftermarket oil coolers have been flow tested, so you know they work.

whtknckleracng
08-12-2004, 10:19 AM
what wuld make the restriction worse? my lines are almost perfectly straight. and im running 10w-30 do u trhink 10-w-40 wuld be better with the cooler since its thinner?

FF1O5
08-12-2004, 10:19 AM
you might have to add a little more oil also

Dunlap
08-12-2004, 08:54 PM
You will know you don't have good pressure when you rockers go bad.

sparkplug300ex
08-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
You will know you don't have good pressure when you rockers go bad.

so mickey how much are your oil coolers for a 300ex i need one but dont wanna spend alot of $$$ but i want one that works good

Butters
08-15-2004, 04:53 PM
can't you just splice the oil line that goes to the top of your motor and make the oil run through the cooler before it gets to the top??

whtknckleracng
08-16-2004, 09:54 AM
its been almost a weel with my cooler and my motor seems to be running fine. i checked the rockers and cam n stuff and its all getting oil. after about 1 hour of riding i can almost keep my hand right on the cylinder.

wilkin250r
08-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Testing the flow and oil pressure is not easy. You would need an array of pressure sensors and flow sensors around your engine. I don't know about you, but I don't have that stuff just laying around my garage.

So, how do you know if you're in danger? You don't, there is no easy way to check. Chances are very good that you're in the clear. But, if by chance it DOES go bad, you'll know why.