PDA

View Full Version : ***Computer Help***

Punk'd
08-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Ok I own 2 comps and they run on the same internet i/p. One is pluged into the wall.. and the other runs wireless to the other comp we own. My question is how do you send stuff from one computer to the other? If anyone knows how it would mean alot if you could help. Thanks alot bros

Randy

310Rduner
08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
You want to network the computers? So you can grab files on one comp from the other? Look around in the computer options and setup about a local network. What operating system do you have?

I would go to microsofts site and look up local/personal networks and instructions.

Edit: See if the other computer's hard drive shows up on yours under my computer?

K2Snow
08-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Assuming you ahve Windows XP, there is a pretty easy networking wizard. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, and it should be in there.

Tread70
08-12-2004, 03:53 AM
Well you need to have some hard drives shared out first. Also they are not running on the same IP, if they were they would knock eachother off line. To find your IP on each PC, goto Start/run/ type in cmd hit enter/ in command prompt window type ipconfig. To share a hdd right click on the hdd and select properties. Select the share tab and share out the hdd, if you are running a firewall you will need to allow for the access of one pc to the other. Once you have the shares done and the ipconfig done, open my computer and click search, search for computers on my network or something like that type in the internal ip from the ipconfig of the PC you want to connect to and let it search it should find it and allow for a connection if not then there will be more stuff that needs done like making sure you are using the same workgroup on both PC's but either way that will get you closer.

Tread

Punk'd
08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Tread70
Well you need to have some hard drives shared out first. Also they are not running on the same IP, if they were they would knock eachother off line. To find your IP on each PC, goto Start/run/ type in cmd hit enter/ in command prompt window type ipconfig. To share a hdd right click on the hdd and select properties. Select the share tab and share out the hdd, if you are running a firewall you will need to allow for the access of one pc to the other. Once you have the shares done and the ipconfig done, open my computer and click search, search for computers on my network or something like that type in the internal ip from the ipconfig of the PC you want to connect to and let it search it should find it and allow for a connection if not then there will be more stuff that needs done like making sure you are using the same workgroup on both PC's but either way that will get you closer.

Tread

What is a hdd?

Fender Bender
08-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
What is a hdd?

HDD = Hard Drive