PDA

View Full Version : My stock Stem "Antivibed"

Ralph
08-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Ive posted pics of my other stem converted into an antivibe stem but that one i did not make, this one was made by me and the other ralph. The welds are strong just not too pretty cause we are both still learning. If anybody wants tips or advice let me know...

Ralph
08-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Its also extended 1 inch wich was tricky but we handled it

Ralph
08-11-2004, 09:53 PM
This was just a trial btw, the stem was bent in a pretzle and we roughly streightend it out in a press and thought it would be a cool project.

sparky450AR
08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Looks like a pretty good job to me. Are you going to chrome it, or PC it?

ImConfused
08-11-2004, 09:55 PM
i know it's stupid to ask, but what makes it antivibe? i actually bought my 400 with it but i can't tell a difference.

Ralph
08-11-2004, 09:58 PM
I will probably Pc it like my other one and keep it as my backup and Antivibe is because of the rubber grommets. Stock it just bolts up solid.

ImConfused
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
thanks ralph... i knew this guy who welded his stem back up and it ended up breaking on a double his first time out... pc would look nice :D

Ralph
08-11-2004, 10:30 PM
i trust our welds, we got advice on the whole thing from a friend who goes to wyotech and we got good penetration on all the welds so well see how it goes...

ZRider400
08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
what type of welder did you use? mig tig?

Woodsrider
08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Is that a ceramic bong in the background, next to the printer?

plkmonster2
08-12-2004, 12:41 AM
The welds look okay... lol, Hmm, Wyotech, I'm considering going there myself, in pursuit of an automotive career. Thats a good idea. I'm pretty good with a welder, so if I bend my stocker, I'll make it antivibe! lol:)

plkmonster2
08-12-2004, 12:45 AM
Oh yeah, It looks like a mig weld. If it is, Turn your amperage up a little bit. What welder is it? I like the l-tec's Turn it to medium, and drop down on the amperage, and the welds will clean up a lot! Also, it looks like your zig zag pattern is too spaced out. Make the pattern shorter. And finally, When your welding, start out on the thicker metal, and then just touch the thin stuff. This way, you can use a higher, cleaner amperage, without melting the metal. It looks liek your amperage is close, but I'd leave it until you become more experienced!;)

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
i trust our welds, we got advice on the whole thing from a friend who goes to wyotech and we got good penetration on all the welds so well see how it goes...

if that's what comes outta wyotech, pleas restrain me from goin there :huh

Ralph
08-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™

ill make sure to do that, Too bad its identical to the one i bought from a professional welder, and the person we knew from Wyotech taught gave us some tips on extending the stem and other things. Yes its MIG.

For a 16 year old i dont think its too bad but oh well

Ralph
08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
heres my other one, the welds are just alot better,

Ralph
08-12-2004, 10:49 AM

Ralph
08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh and before anyone notices, on the one i made, yes we still have to put some sleeves in and taper them.

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
ill make sure to do that, Too bad its identical to the one i bought from a professional welder,

you mean theres a professional welder out there that welds like that too :eek2:

i wasn't refering to the structural aspect just the fusing part, cause i sure as heck wouldn't feel comfortable hopping on it :huh

Pappy
08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
cause i sure as heck wouldn't feel comfortable hopping on it :huh

ok...just what the hell do you get out of "hopping" on a stem:confused: on second thought DONT answer:devil:

ralph2
08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
looks fine to me;) :D

Ralph
08-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Lets go back and read realy quick......

This was just a trial btw, the stem was bent in a pretzle and we roughly streightend it out in a press and thought it would be a cool project.

we were more focused on the structural part of the whole thing

Wouldnt hurt to keep it around incase mine breaks.

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ok...just what the hell do you get out of "hopping" on a stem:confused: on second thought DONT answer:devil:

:devil: muhahah

:confused: :confused: :confused: oooook we went back and read and still has absolutly nothing to do the the hack of a welding job but "but practice makes perfect" so keep at it, i was just knocking it cause i thought you said sombody from wyotech welded it

ralph2
08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: oooook we went back and read and still has absolutly nothing to do the the hack of a welding job but "but practice makes perfect" so keep at it, i was just knocking it cause i thought you said sombody from wyotech welded it

wow:rolleyes:

Ralph
08-12-2004, 12:54 PM
about the advice on the amps and ****, we were going by the recomendations on the welder for our feed and metal thickness, but then turned the amps down quite a bit and the feed 2 cause we wanted to get some fine welds.

not sure what model it is.,,lol but its not one of the digital ones.

tore up
08-12-2004, 01:18 PM

Do you have to insult someone? He made an honest effort and for not being a professional welder/ fabricator and only 16 years old it doesnt look half bad. Keep up the good work!!!! You have to start somewhere in life, we cant all be mindless a-holes :rolleyes:

lil400exman
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
plk-also it looks like he has his wire feed setup a little fast also. ralph are you using any sort of atmosphere blocker like a co2/argon mix or helium mix? if not that will not make as clean as weld. try using some gas if your machine will allow (it should) turn down and go to town. also to make the starting and finishing points cleaner start @ a 10degree angle facing opposite of how you are going to start then to a vertical then when you get near the end go to a 10 degree angle and puddle it up a bit. welding is mucho fun though! MIG was a breeze for me. so was stick/arc but TIG is being a little tough:mad:

zephead400ex
08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Not bad dude! Let us know how it holds up.

Ralph
08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Yeah he has argon gas, Thx for the tips we will try them out

dirtmomma
08-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Is that a ceramic bong in the background, next to the printer?

LMFAO leave it to you Soggy..........................OH I mean woods ;) so hey now that I got ya on here, think you & your family will be able to go camping Sept 11-12 up north here?? It's the HRCA ride should be a good time!!!!

lil400exman
08-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah he has argon gas, Thx for the tips we will try them out
what machine you using? i myself have a hobart handler 140. i have a millermatic but i bought it used and didnt know it was about to fry:rolleyes: the handler is a good machine. small but modest!:p

allmixedup047
08-15-2004, 08:25 PM
millermatic 200 is about the best mig i have ever used. welding is really an art. i went to votech and welded every day for 2 years and i still have nothing but learning to do. there are so many things you have to put into consideration when welding, and if you are mig welding with gas MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN AN INCLOSED AREA WITH NO BREEZE. if not its like you are welding with no gas, i dont know how many times ive messed up by welding without the doors closed. but the best advice you can give a begining welder is practice practice practice. thats my 2cents.:blah:

markk
08-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ImConfused
i know it's stupid to ask, but what makes it antivibe? i actually bought my 400 with it but i can't tell a difference.

Antivibe, uses some rubber bushings, to dampen the little vibrations comming up the stem!

lil400exman
08-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by markk
Antivibe, uses some rubber bushings, to dampen the little vibrations comming up the stem!
it sound good on paper but in all honesty it DOESNT work that well!

and allmixedup-you are right. welding is never something your done learning.no matter what you are doing STICK/ARC,Plasma,MIG,TIG (still alotta learning for me on TIG) oxy-acetyelene you just can never know too much. i know i buy all the books i can see when it comes to nay kind of welding;)

allmixedup047
08-16-2004, 10:32 PM
oxy/gas is pretty much the basics of tig, but tig is where its all at. if your a good tig welder you can make the big bucks. and that mig welding looks pretty good on that stem, i consider myself a well trained welder and i dont know if i could of done a much better job, yeah maybe the wire feed was a little fast but if your going to break every weld down, you can always find things to make better, and the only way to really find out how good a weld is, is to x-ray the weld and find the true penetration and see all the slag in it, and besides who wants to go through all that trouble on a part that a 16 year old kid did just for a trial run. hey looks good and keep up the work and if you ever find a job in metal fab and start making anti-vibe stems, i will be your first buyer.;)

Ralph
08-16-2004, 10:42 PM
thx for all the good comments. Tig seems cool and i deffinatly wanna try it some time but next we are going to try out the aluminum spool gun and try to weld some aluminum

lil400exman
08-17-2004, 07:55 AM
thx for all the good comments. Tig seems cool and i deffinatly wanna try it some time but next we are going to try out the aluminum spool gun and try to weld some aluminum
aluminum is super fun! and ralph dont take my comments in a bad way...........just discussin the bead :o and TIG is the future but a good MIG welder is very competent and faster:cool:

allmixedup047
08-18-2004, 12:29 AM
yes, you can mig weld aluminum, and its alot faster but not as much of a clean look, and tig welding is so much more fun. i cant get enough of it.:blah: