PDA

View Full Version : Buying used quad tips

400exrules
08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
I saw an add in the cycle trader for a 99 400ex with fmf exhaust for $1900. Im prob gonna go look at it so what do I need to look for when looking at used quads and wut should i do first, like background checks or somethin to make sure its not stolen.

I just dont wanna get somethin thats gonna blow up when i get home..........................im not a professional mechanic

lil400exman
08-11-2004, 08:52 PM
well many many things to look over. guy who owns it,the place where its stored( dumpy?) usually the same with maintence. plastic all beat up? if so its prolly beat up also i mean plastic doesnt just fall apart by itself. any weird noises? well excpect for some work. just kinda go with a gut feeling. if the guy has the bike warmed up when you come let the bike cool down to make sure he isnt hiding a starting problem like a burnt valve or something like that.

TheFontMaster
08-11-2004, 09:38 PM
ALso check the berrings, air filter, it can tell you how well he keep up with basic maitinence. If something as symple as cleaning the air filter has been neglected he has probably neglected other things too. Also like lill400ex said make shure it idles good let it cool down, basic stuff like that.

diesel-mech
08-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Unless you buy it dirt cheap from a little old man that used it to go get his mail you are going to get RIPPED OFF!!!:grr:

Sorry I had some bad experiances. Do I sound bitter? I think the counceling is really paying off :D

Sportrax10
08-12-2004, 02:02 AM
Cheak the frame for cracks, or chipped off paint (above front shock mounts)... Cheak the bottom of the frame for dents, listen to it start up cold...

For $1,900 dont expect it to be in "perfect" condition...

MY450R
08-12-2004, 11:26 AM
use the grab bar and move it side to side to check the swinger bearings check sprockets chain pull the dipstick to see how much oil is in it etc etc
hondas are good bbikes so its prolly ok just minor stuff may be wrong
but if you have to replace some stuff than do it cause its not going to be new otherwise youd be paying a lot more