PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs. Unifilter

mpm
08-11-2004, 06:24 PM
I am about to purchase one of these two filters. Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of each? Also maybe which one is better and why? Or if you could even tell me a place where I could see results after testing was done would help. Also if there is any other filter besides these that is as good or better I would like to hear about.

Thanks.

LaSalleKid
08-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Both filters provide good airflow, and they both screen dirt and foreign objects well. You cant go wrong with either one, but I prefer K&N.:macho

Toadz400
08-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I've used both and I will always stick with the Uni. I don't care about the TINY bit of increased airflow compared to a K&N, the better filtration is what I'd rather have.

K&N offers more air flow (not as much as taking off your air box lid) but offers less filtration of dust.

Uni is less flowing (can't notice a difference between K&N and Uni when I switch them) but it filters WAY better.

And I also cleaned and oiled both of them and the K&N was in perfect condition, even with the outerwear on it just didn't do it's job for filtering like I would want it to.

Quads come stock with a foam filter, so stick to the foam. Buy a Uni and if you still don't feel safe, you can get a foam outwear also for extra filtration. That also applies to K&N though, but I would just stick to the Uni.

devildriver422
08-11-2004, 06:35 PM
yea K&N lets a little dirt through and it gets dirty faster and the little bit of extra air you get doesnt rly matter

Poyntman400ex
08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
I went riding with a guy who had a K&N and as soon as we went through a water crossing he stalled out. And he had an outerwearer's cover. Foam

Samson
08-11-2004, 07:21 PM
For sand, the K&N filters great. Used them for years and I've had no problems.

And like they said, it just flat flows better than a foam filter.

redroost85
08-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Gather around ladies and gentlemen, it's filter war time, lol!:blah:

You can't go wrong with either filter bud...despite what some may say. Both are far better than stock. :)

JDiablo
08-11-2004, 09:10 PM
FILTER WARS!!!!!

Woodsrider
08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
I run K&N filters in my cars and truck. But in many of the places I ride, the dust is just too fine for a gauze media filter.

hondarider2006
08-12-2004, 01:42 AM
I have ran bolth, and didn't notice a slight difference in power. I just fell safter with the Foam protection Uni offers:cool:

LazeR
08-12-2004, 03:14 AM
First mod i got for my quad was a K&N..... I love it! I keep it oiled and make sure its oiled properly and ihave never had a problem! Some ppl swear by K&N and some ppl swear at K&N thats why they made foam ;) ! Either or is a great filter...its personal preference

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Poyntman400ex
I went riding with a guy who had a K&N and as soon as we went through a water crossing he stalled out. And he had an outerwearer's cover. Foam

hate to break it to ya buddy, but that aint' a filter problem :rolleyes:

400-416EX
08-12-2004, 07:20 AM
I use to run a K&N all the time. Since I had the motor work done I switched to a uni. I think they filter better at the track when it is dusty. Chances are if you get beat by a guy with a K&n one weekend he will be out after a few races because of the dirt gettin to his motor. That is my feeling.

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by 400-416EX
I use to run a K&N all the time. Since I had the motor work done I switched to a uni. I think they filter better at the track when it is dusty. Chances are if you get beat by a guy with a K&n one weekend he will be out after a few races because of the dirt gettin to his motor. That is my feeling.

2 seasons with a worked motor in the dustiest conditions known to man with a k&n and a open aluminum airbox, feel free to state your oppinion on how well you like your filter of choice, but makes no sense to knock other filters with false statements :rolleyes:

i've never found dust in my boot, and anybody that says they do, was obviously doin something wrong, so quit blaming the filter for your goof up

400-416EX
08-12-2004, 07:50 AM
It's only my opinion man

Pappy
08-12-2004, 08:10 AM
I think they filter better at the track when it is dusty. .

thats an opinion ^

[BChances are if you get beat by a guy with a K&n one weekend he will be out after a few races because of the dirt gettin to his motor .[/B]

thats a statement unsupported by fact^

08-12-2004, 08:13 AM
I"ve found that most cases where dirt gets past a K&N filter is at the connection at the tube and not the filter itself failing.

I put grease on the inside of the tube and never EVER find dust, dirt, fish, or birds inside the intake tube.... :cool: And I've been using the same K&N filter for 3 years now..

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 08:22 AM
I knew that pappy was an educated man, seeeee he knows the difference between oppinions and facts http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

:blah: :blah:

400-416EX
08-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Alright Alright I am sorry I will retract my statement.

Pappy
08-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Alright Alright I am sorry I will retract my statement.

no need.

however i agree with rico. ive run k&n and uni/foam filters and i havent had any issues with either type nor noticed more power over each brand. the only time i ever saw dust when using a k & n is when i didnt properly oil and maintain my filter....and the same goes with the foam filters.

blaming a product when some dipchit doesnt know how to properly maintain and use that product is stupidty at its finest

MotoX3
08-12-2004, 08:57 AM
we run uni's...idk y....never rode something with a K&N....sounds like its just a personal preference to me:macho

wilkin250r
08-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I put grease on the inside of the tube and never EVER find dust, dirt, fish, or birds inside the intake tube.... :cool: And I've been using the same K&N filter for 3 years now..

I must be doing something wrong. I run K&N, and I find fish in my intake all the time. I never had a fish problem with a foam filter.

Maybe it's the oil that I'm using. It's a generic store-brand vegetable oil. Do you think I should switch to an pure corn oil, or fork out the money for virgin olive oil?

300exOH
08-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Are you kidding? Always go for the virgin:devil:

JDiablo
08-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Maybe it's the oil that I'm using. It's a generic store-brand vegetable oil. Do you think I should switch to an pure corn oil, or fork out the money for virgin olive oil?

you can do that?:huh but yea 400-416 what do you expect,filter wars man,lol:devil:

400-416EX
08-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah yeah lol. From now on I will keep my mouth shut:o

UglyMotha™
08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah yeah lol. From now on I will keep my mouth shut:o

feel free to state your oppinion on a product there is nothing wrong with that, you just can't run around telling sombody that they'll have to rebuild there motor after 3 races, cause like pappy said that is an unsupported fact that is false rather than oppinion http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

cinigen9
08-12-2004, 12:07 PM
lots of information on the web - do some of your own research..

here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

http://ducatigarage.netfirms.com/filtertest.html

My take - servicing an air filter is more important than what type you run. I buy 2 or 3 of the stock filters, good filter oil and change them often - after ever race, and in dusty conditions after ever ride.

Carson

03EX
08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Ive been using K&N filters for over 8 years and never had any problems but I would would use a outerwears prefilter with what ever you go with. there both great filters!
Its like they say use what you want, there all better than stock

98red
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
ive tested both on my 250 with the same jet and the k&N didnt even come close to the uni...and that is not an opinion:)

allmixedup047
08-18-2004, 09:56 PM
i run K&N and i try to keep it well lubed, ( if you know what i mean ).never had a dust problem. thats why you buy the cleaner and oil. the only thing i had against UNI was depending on your filter attachment in your air box, was that they would not stay together. but that was on a buddies old blaster, and the way that most new quads air boxes are set up, that shouldnt be a problem. just keep them both clean and either or will work great for what they where intended for.;)

UglyMotha™
08-19-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 98red
ive tested both on my 250 with the same jet and the k&N didnt even come close to the uni...and that is not an opinion:)

considering you didn't post any fact to back your statement up, that would make your statment only a oppinion nothing more

redrunner
08-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
considering you didn't post any fact to back your statement up, that would make your statment only a oppinion nothing more

My friend your starting to scare me!:eek2:

Samson
08-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by 98red

Maybe because you were running too lean with the K&N.

allmixedup047
08-19-2004, 01:41 PM
its not like your working with a whole bunch of power increase here anyway. so how can it not be close.:rolleyes:

Samson
08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
We aren't talking horseshoes.

All I'm saying is I've seen a bunch of independent tests that all say K&N flows better than foam. There's a catch to his claim or he's just making it up. Take your pick.

ewalker302
08-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Samson
We aren't talking horseshoes.

All I'm saying is I've seen a bunch of independent tests that all say K&N flows better than foam. There's a catch to his claim or he's just making it up. Take your pick.

I'd be very interested in seeing some type of test (flow bench) that actually tested the airflow of the different filters.

The only test i've seen is people on here w/a k&n just saying that it flows much better. I don't buy it, even if the k&n does flow the slightest bit better, If you think you can feel that your kidding yourself.

I think it's an easy choice, the uni filters better, costs way less, and requires half the maintenance.

:bandit:

sportraxkid
08-19-2004, 10:44 PM
do any of you guys have one of the k&n machines at your dealer. Were there is a ball on top floating in a tube and there is a little motor sucking in air and it has a box on the bottom and the ball floats with no filter on it. and there is a tube you slid a k&n and the ball floats and you can slid foam filters on it and it wont float. that is proof the k&n flows better! I have a k&n with outwears and no lid and I always keep it oiled and cleaned properly and have never found any dirt in the intake tube. one of u said that a k&n was no comparison because your bike needed jetted because it was running to lean. Reason MORE AIRFLOW :eek2:

cals400ex
08-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by sportraxkid
do any of you guys have one of the k&n machines at your dealer. Were there is a ball on top floating in a tube and there is a little motor sucking in air and it has a box on the bottom and the ball floats with no filter on it. and there is a tube you slid a k&n and the ball floats and you can slid foam filters on it and it wont float. that is proof the k&n flows better! I have a k&n with outwears and no lid and I always keep it oiled and cleaned properly and have never found any dirt in the intake tube. one of u said that a k&n was no comparison because your bike needed jetted because it was running to lean. Reason MORE AIRFLOW :eek2:

i have seen one of these at Gateway international raceway. it was pretty neat. you could definately tell the K&N's flow a decent amount more air. however, i don't think the bike needs more air. as a matter of fact, i will get NO gain when i run no air box lid vs when i run a lid. by the way, this is drag racing. yes, the jetting changes. i found it can change 1-2 jet sizes by just removing the air box lid. however, in the drag race it will not gain me anything. i believe the torque out of a corner may help a little bit but maybe thats in my head too. basically i am saying the added air flow i can't notice. if i could, you better believe i would run a K&N.

FatBoy Racing
08-20-2004, 01:12 AM
K&N sucks!

UNI roolez!

...hmmm... maybe its

UNI sucks!

K&N roolez!

...hell, I don't remember . . .

I've seen little difference between the two except in the dunes. the k&n will pass a little more fine stuff in the dunes unless I use a prefilter, which clogs up almost instantly, so I'd opt for the UNI there. Lately I've been a little more lazy, and it just seems easier to have 2 uni's around to swap and I can clean them with the foam filters on the other stock bikes in camp. So I guess for me the foam filter wins out, but more for convenience than performance.

enjoy!

reconmaster
08-22-2004, 12:55 PM
K&N is da best it improved my recons power a whole lot

wvspeedfreak
08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't think there is any doubt that a K&N flows more.Hold one up to a light and you can see daylight through pinholes in the gauze everywhere.I personally switched from K&N filters to Twin Air because of some severely dusty conditions I ride in.I couldn't tell any difference in power at all.
It is a personal preference thing......run whatever works for ya.

wilkin250r
08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
K&N all the way...

PunkA$$
08-23-2004, 01:00 PM
I used a K&N for about a half a year or so. I put so much oil on it it'd drip for a week and I also greased where goes into the airbox thououghly. I do ride in dusty conditions and did find dust in the intake. I can however see how people can say it does'nt let dust in, the only way to tell for me was to run a white kleenex over the intake and you could see it turn slightly black. I dont get that with a foam filter nor do I notice any power difference.

allmixedup047
08-23-2004, 01:28 PM
K&N all the way...

um:eek2: . can i put the oil on those k&n's.:D

400exstud
08-29-2004, 08:44 PM
I ride in the most crapy a** conditions you can immagine. Soupy mud holes and dust that I can't even breath through but my K&N does. I ride the dusty trails of northern wisconsin and I have never had one problem with it. The only tip that i can offer is oil it until it is dripping off of it and us an outerwear.
I heard of them passing small particles before I got mine so I checked it after a long weekend of riding and there where no particles in the intake.
If you are getting dust in your motor change your oil often.:D

Steve-o 400EX
09-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
I run K&N filters in my cars and truck. But in many of the places I ride, the dust is just too fine for a gauze media filter.

I agree, i have one in my truck but never in my quad. I ride in coal dust and it is very fine and airborne. My buddy has a K&N and i have a sparks on basically the same quads with = hours, his oil is always black from the dust, mine is usually very clean. He also uses an outerwear, doesnt help much.