PDA

View Full Version : thumb vs twist

mps5000
08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
i was wondering what some of you guys use, thumb or twist throttle. I have a thumb throttle and am getting sick of it. Any advantages or disadvantages on either one?

Toadz400
08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
I have a thumb throttle, I've used one since I was 5...you just eventually build up muscle and I can go hours and hours riding my Banshee (stiff throttle) and I won't get tired. It all depends on how much of a ***** you are, lol jk.

All dirtbikers that switch over to quads usually use twist throttles, I hate twist throttles...they make me feel like I have no control over the quad and thumb throttles just seem to make more sense on a quad. JMO though.

TheFontMaster
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
I got a twist throttle. I love the thing. I also learned how to ride on this 4-wheeler. It takes a little while to get used to, like if you hit bumps or something you will mail the throttle on acident. But once you get used to it it is just awsome. I'd sugest getting one. but that is JMO.

Sportrax10
08-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I went from a trx90 with a thumb, to a Blaster with a twist, then a 400ex with a thumb, and a thumb with my 450r... Never once had a problem... But I do prefer thumb...

Striker49
08-10-2004, 11:34 PM
I have only riddin a CRF250R with the twist, everything else thumb but Ive stuck solely to quads.

The only thing wrong with twist throttles on quads is body english. On a quad your body movement has alot to do with controling the atv whereas a dirtbike it is significantly less and you are not hanging off the side of the bike. Using the twist on the quad puts alot of strain on your wrist trying to keep the throttle in position while cornering. Running a twist will make you a better rider if you can make the jump, but I believe I will stick with the thumb. :)

Toadz400
08-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
The only thing wrong with twist throttles on quads is body english. On a quad your body movement has alot to do with controling the atv whereas a dirtbike it is significantly less and you are not hanging off the side of the bike. Using the twist on the quad puts alot of strain on your wrist trying to keep the throttle in position while cornering. Running a twist will make you a better rider if you can make the jump, but I believe I will stick with the thumb. :)

Exactly, I believe thumbs belong on quads and shoudn't be changed...it just makes sense to me, as I've used them all my life (and yes I have ridden with twists, and yes for more than 5 minutes..). I could never get used to a twist throttle, no matter how long I rode it for, even on a dirtbike. If I ever got a dirtbike, I would rig up a thumb throttle for it:macho . JMO though.

1badex
08-11-2004, 07:49 AM
i just got a twist for my 400 and i wouldnt ever own another thumb throttle again.having a twist throttle makes it seem more torquey.it was a little ruff in the beginning but after a 1/2 hour of riding , i had it down and fell in love.i have the motionpro turbo throttle and it is only a little flick of the wrist and your at full throttle. i used to get a lot of arm pump from the thumb throttle so that was my reasoning for a change.i dont have that problem anymore.i posted this same question about a month ago before i got the twist and you will find people that love the twist and would never go back to thumb and you will find people that love the thumb throttle.so either way you go there is 2 sides of the story.good luck:)

khen
08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I like the twist because it feels more natural to me. Of course I've ridden a lot of motorcycles(albeit mostly street bikes). But I could go either way.. they both have there +'s and -'s.

On the occasion when you land a jump more abruptly than anticipated, with a thumb you tend to let go of the throttle and can potentially go over the bars where on a twist you tend to throttle up and can potentially go over backwards or power into something or someone. Although both of these situations become less likely with experience.

hondarider2006
08-11-2004, 02:14 PM
I can ride eaither one....but the twist kills my wrist during a race. I will take a thumb throttle on a quad any day over a twist:o

Jackie
08-11-2004, 02:49 PM
it takes a bit of paying attention but i use a twist. wrenched my thumb once riding a tight trail so the twist is less painfull for me to use.

TC426EX
08-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Thumb all the way....

redroost85
08-11-2004, 08:58 PM
This subject has been debated a fair bit as of late on here. This is definitely a personal preference issue.

I am a thumb guy all the way. After riding R's with the twist I knew thumb was for me. I just can't muscle the quad with a twist:o like I can do with a thumb throttle. But, that's just me.:)

Florida400EX
08-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Thumb throttle, tilted way up, with an extender, so I push down with my palm. I use my thumb in corners and over jumps, but down straights and easy sections, I use my palm, to give my thumb a rest, or else it would be throbbing by the end of a race.

mps5000
08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
i have always used thumb throttles. but just recently, i have noticed that around a hard right turn i lean to the inside and my wrist tilts upwards a bit and it is hard to reach with my thumb

Meek
08-13-2004, 03:24 AM
I have grown up with thumb throttles, I don't really care for a twist, but I don't have a lot of seat time with one.

SHOCKER
08-14-2004, 03:09 PM
i have a twist on my blaster and i just dont feel safe on it, now on my Z400 i have a thumb and i feel much safer, id say thumb all the way, oh and i would to fix up a thumb throttle onto a dirtbike

deathman53
08-15-2004, 06:08 PM
A thumb on a dirtbike?????you are gonna hate it. Twists are much easier on your hands, I put a twist on my 200x I have yet to ride it. Twists are easy once you get used to them andyou can ride far longer. racers prefer them because it seems that you accerlate faster, and your hand isn't any where near as tired.

drthrottle
08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Most interesting post in a year, not due to the question but the response.Must come down to personal preferance from case to case. I grew up on dirtbikes, switched to quads last year, first race in the whoops I almost died. Changed to twisty and been cool every since. I can ride a wheelie for a mile, jump an 85 foot finish line. Put a thumb throttle on the same bike(and I have) I'm heading for disaster. It's what you know, and are used to. They started thumb throttles when honda was getting sued for 3-wheelers. That's all.....

267ex
08-16-2004, 10:49 PM
i rode my neighbors Z400 w/ a twist. i liked it way better than thumb. i liked the way it felt in whoops. now i have to get one for my 250. :devil:

deathman53
08-17-2004, 06:39 PM
no, actually all of the atc's had thumbs, even the 1979 us 90, , honda put them on stock as a safety feature(in theory), the theory is that the rider panics and pulls back, and with a twist he/she would give it more gas, getting in more trouble, now the thumb solves this problem. they didn't ultimitely solve the big problem KIDS AND DUMB ADULTS OF TOO FAST OF MACHINES WHILE NOT RIDING DRUNK/HIGH AND NOT WEARING SAFETY GEAR. The atc's were just a easy scapegoat, look at the facts back in 86, the highest number of injuries/deaths were kids, and drunk/high adults and teens not wearing safety gear, WE STILL HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM.

deathman53
08-17-2004, 06:41 PM
sorry made a few gramatical errors, ignore the first NOT,

Toadz400
08-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
sorry made a few gramatical errors, ignore the first NOT,

You know you can edit your posts? It's down by the "Quote" button, on the lower right side.