PDA

View Full Version : timing chain question

baseballa_31
08-10-2004, 07:33 PM
well, my timing chain knocks pretty loud and i'm just wondering if its goin to hurt the engine to just leave it alone. I'm not very worthy to work on my engine because i haven't had my quad very long and wouldn't really know what i'm doin. So instead of me screwin it up even more by tryin to fix it myself, would it just be alright if i left if alone. thanx

BSTURDIVANT
08-10-2004, 10:15 PM
It will break and bend valves if let go too long!!

Ryan
08-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Are you sure its your timing chain and not your valves?

Dupontster
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Check your timing chain lifter tensioner. Mine went bad twice. Take it out and see if the shaft is wound back up. If it is then that is causing your tapping by the chain having no tension. I went to my dealer and they gave me one that has a bolt with a locking nut on it that you screw in to put tension on the chain. So far I have had no problems with it.

chucked
08-11-2004, 02:41 PM
I had replaced my cam chain tensioner, About a month later it started again, because the cam chain is so stretched out the tensioner has lost good tension on the cam chain, Im having the motor rebuilt starting tomorrow or friday!! O YEA! go with the crf450f cam chain, its stronger and less then half the price of a 400ex cam chain