PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rim

Toadz400
08-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Do you think a bent rim (pretty bad) is going to have an effect on the life of the bearings?

Bill Fuller
08-10-2004, 04:51 PM
No

Toadz400
08-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
No

Could you explain why? To me it's common sense if the rim is bent enough to make the axle wobble (the axle isn't bent) while riding then it would start to wear on the bearings, just like a bent axle would...

Bill Fuller
08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Your shock will absorb most of the wobble.You do ride on bumpy dirt don't you:D Now would I say that it needs to be replaced YES but I don't think it will wear out your bearings.

Toadz400
08-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Your shock will absorb most of the wobble.You do ride on bumpy dirt don't you:D Now would I say that it needs to be replaced YES but I don't think it will wear out your bearings.

Well, actually most of my riding lately has been in my yard (straight flat ground). And I was going down a road before and my friend thought my axle was bent, but we found out it was the wheel. I talked to my brother and dad about it and they both say that it definately isn't a good thing for the bearings, because it will add extra stress on them...They probably need to be replaced anyway considering they are four years old.

I would put my HiPers on and not worry about this, but my Kenda's haven't come yet...I ordered them from C&D and now over a week later they tell me they don't have any...yay...this is going to be fun waiting for those.

KY Woods Rider
08-10-2004, 07:40 PM
It depends on how long you ride it like that and how bad the rim is bent.

If you bent the living crap out of it and it shakes so bad at moderate speeds that you think your teeth are coming loose, then you shouldn't be riding it that way.

If you bent it just enough to cause some vibration while on the road or smooth dirt, then ride and don't worry so much, cause a little vibration isn't going to increase the bearing wear enough for you to ever know the difference.