PDA

View Full Version : help on big bore kits

ridered711
08-10-2004, 02:42 PM
hey guys i was wondering what exactly do i need to get because i have a 400ex and i want to get a 440 kit... help me.......

which kits should i get (your opinion)

and if there is any other suggestions tell me them so i can get an idea of what to get

TC426EX
08-10-2004, 04:23 PM
There are so many different possibilities for motor work on the 400ex it really comes down to how much you want to spend. If you are doing a 440 kit then you will definitely need to get your cylinder bored and re sleeved. If you want to keep it economical you could get one of those IMS kits with an 11:1 piston and sleeve...that way it will still run on pump gas. The rest is up to you as far as what to add... Port + polish, cam, lightened flywheel, hardened rockers, heavy duty valve springs+retainers, heavy duty rod, etc, etc... If you do the 440 kit you will NEED to add a cam at least to feel a real difference. Bore kits and cams are usually always done together. If you want to keep it cheap then go with a hotcam stage 1 or 2. If you want to gp all out then get a more aggressive cam from one of the good engine builders. These usually require hardened rockers, and heavy duty valves where a "drop in" cam like the hotcam will not. Of course you could then add a bigger, better carb like a 39 or 41mm FCR and the list goes on. So in the end, things you will DEFINITELY need to do is get a good 440 big bore kit, get your cylinder re sleeved, get a cam, and add a full exhaust... The rest is reccomended but can be left out at first if you are strapped for money....