PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

bobbybog
08-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I have a Raptor (I know this is an EX forum), but I need some help and can't find any other help. My Raptor is leaking oil around where the case meets on the shifter side. It looks like it is leaking right out of the seam where the gasket is at. I don't really want to take it apart right now since I just changed the oil and all. This also only leaks once the motor is warmed up. Is it possible to put some type of sealant at this joint to try and seal it up for now without pulling off the side case?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

416mx
08-10-2004, 01:09 PM
AS LONG AS OIL ISN'T POURING OUT, JUST CHANGE THE GASKET NEXT OIL CHANGE. iT SHOULD BE FINE.:D

derekhonda
08-10-2004, 01:44 PM
you probably could patch it up for a while, but why not just do it right and get it over with? The gasket is probably all of 15 bucks and will take less than an hour to install.

bobbybog
08-10-2004, 01:49 PM
The oil is not pouring out, but it is noticable. I do just want to patch it up until the next oil change, I don't plan on waiting any longer than the next oil change. How would I patch it up temporarily?? Any ideas??

derekhonda
08-10-2004, 03:04 PM
maybe silicone or else i have some stuff called liquid gasket but i have never seen it anywhere, stole it from a friend many a years ago

bobbybog
08-10-2004, 08:03 PM
So just any kind of high temp sealant could temorarily fix it. Has anyone ever tried to patch a leak like this before??

Striker49
08-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Im sure some silicon would work for now and if you really wanted to seal it play with a little jb weld. :huh

A gasket should run you around $15 like derek said and will take you less than an hour to do, its not that hard. Just make sure you run your finger over the gasket with some oil when you are installing to ensure a better fit. :)

K2Snow
08-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm having a similar problem right now on ym quad. The oil reservoir is cracked right where the engine is mounted to the frame. The leak isn't a huge one, but noticeable. After emptying out the reservoir and tipping the quad opposite of the crack, I am STILL getting small amounts of oil seeping through the crack. This made the first JB weld job mess up and there is still a tiny leak. I then let it sit over night, again empty of oila nd tilted to the side. JB welded it again today hoping it would be drier and STILL noticed a minor amount of oil seeping into the weld as it set. Point of my story, clean and dry the area well before using the weld!

bobbybog
08-11-2004, 06:47 AM
I hadn't thought of JB Weld. If I do this, is it very difficult to get the weld off when I do go to replace the gasket? Also, if I don't use jb weld, is there a silicone anyone can recommend? It know the cases get hot, so I am sure it will have to be some type of high temp silicone or something.

Thanks so far for all the help guys.

K2Snow
08-11-2004, 12:48 PM
I believe JB works up to like 600 degrees. And yes, it will be quite difficult to get off, if even possible at all. JB weld should be sued more as a permanent fix than anything else.