PDA

View Full Version : spacer plate question

seth400
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
im building a motor useing a spacer plate, but the studs from the case are kinda short, should i use larger studs or will the stockers be ok?

beak7707
08-10-2004, 09:45 PM
You need longer studs, call ESR or LRD any motor builders. Or I think you can go to the honda shop and just get cr250 studs.

Krash
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
The spacer plate you are talking about, is that so you can use an 87-89 rod, if so what are the advantages of doing this?:confused:

seth400
08-26-2004, 11:25 AM
yea its for the 87-89 rod with an 86 piston. some people like this setup better, suposed to be more torque better for the woods or the track i guess

wilkin250r
08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
It's not so much a torque issue, but rather a powerband issue. Using a longer rod with the 86 piston will give you more crankcase volume, which gives you a smoother powerband.

Let's look at the extreme. Imagine you are on loose dirt or gravel. If you have a very sharp, hard-hitting powerband, your wheels don't grip, they just break loose and spin. It's very hard to put the power to the ground. Below the powerband you have no power, but as soon as you do have power, you're wheels just break loose and spin. It takes some fancy clutchwork to keep the wheelspin under control.

Also, if you DO get any traction, you have to hang on for dear life. Sure, it's fun and exciting, but over and over and over it get's very tiring after a while. Certainly more exhausting than a nice smooth powerband.

So, the smoother you can make the powerband, the better. You'll have less wheelspin and better performance out of the corners, and less tiresome to ride.