PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride Harleys' here?

YLW400
08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I am possibly buying a 79 FX Lowrider tonight.

Does anyone ride here?

2000ex
08-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Yup sure do...I got a 2000 Custom Softail. Here are a few pics. They are from the guy I bought it from

http://www.bluemoongear.com/BillsFatTirePageAdPage.htm

:macho

briantrx
08-10-2004, 11:11 AM
yep, got a 2001 fatboy, fuel injected with hooker headers and drag bars.
went to the harley 100th party last year. lots of bikes pretty cool.

416mx
08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
RIDE WHAT!!!!!:rolleyes:

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
i do, 2001 harley wideglide with a 1550 kit on it etc,it has a limited paint job on it from harley etc, i can try to get some pictures of it posted, it was my dads but he gave it to me :macho hes building a chopper soon :)

heres about the best picture i have of it now, i'll find some more, and yes they are in my house:macho
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pa30b6d235bcd2fee8de23d9f162f8b5d/f77a7f8c.jpg

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Before painted fairing,corbin gun fighter seat and chrome lower legs
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p70fb6c4472b7b179b990b0987129acf6/f77a6e08.jpg

YLW400
08-10-2004, 12:17 PM
awesome...alot more of you guys here than I thought.. I Will keep you all posted on the Lowrider, hopefully I will be picking it up tonight. I wish I could afford an Evo or something, but oh hell, I think a Shovelhead will do....lol

sleestack71
08-10-2004, 12:19 PM
I have an 05 883 custom. I know it's not much but I'm just getting into it.

I have the 1200 pistons on order, gonna turn her into a sleeper.

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
awesome...alot more of you guys here than I thought.. I Will keep you all posted on the Lowrider, hopefully I will be picking it up tonight. I wish I could afford an Evo or something, but oh hell, I think a Shovelhead will do....lol

they run pretty good with some mods :macho evos and twin cams are nice motors also, but shovelheads do sound pretty good with some pipes

YLW400
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Yea..If i had the money I would have a twin cam or an Evo, but I have too many other hobbies (quads being a large money one). This guy is letting the Lowrider go for cheap, so I have to jump on it..Plus it is almost as old as I am, so that's kinda cool. The thing is, the motor is off of it..There is a rolling chassis with the tranny on it, and that's it. Both inner and out primaries are off of it, the jugs are pulled off... It is going to take some work, but I figure if I am doing the work, I know what's been done to it. Maybe a 80 cubic inch kit.. I'll just have to see how expensive it starts getting..

Hey, it's a bike slee. I could of bought a jap cruiser, but I waited and waited until I found something I could afford. There is absoutely nothing wrong with a Sporty...

sleestack71
08-10-2004, 12:40 PM
I got it because there are no legal places left to ride. At first I wasn't to sure about it but now I'm really loving it. The torque is unreal.

I like the fact that now all of the United States is my riding area. But I have been riding atvs for so lng that I am always looking out for cops, like if I was doing something illegal.

YLW400
08-10-2004, 12:48 PM
lol that's funny about thinking your doing something illegal....

Where are you from? My nephew has an 2002 883 with 1200 kit in it, and said it rolled.. HE just bought and 04 Big Dog Ridgeback about a month ago...

RytM1
08-10-2004, 12:50 PM
I just bought an '04 Fat Boy last month. I was getting a little too old for speeding around on my ZX-7r, and it was time to slow down a bit. Just about ready for the 1K mile maintenance, then its jetting, pipes, K&N, and ignition module for starters. Along with some other items to dress it up a bit.

YLW400
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
I like Fatboys, I Will either have that, or a Nightrain...

PismoGuy400
08-10-2004, 12:56 PM
not officially mine, nor does it get riddin, weve got an original 1942 harley xa, its been in the family for nearly 60 years and there is supposedly 200-500 still around today... 1011 originaly made. only needs exhaust, seat, and all leathers (saddle bags, gunrack parts)

if anyone want more info just ask, and i could go take some pictures if anyone wanted but someone would have to post them for me..?

RytM1
08-10-2004, 12:58 PM
The only downside to the Fat Boy is the wheels. When cruising down the highway, little gusts of wind will hit the solid wheels, and it makes the bike a little squirrely. Thinking about having some discreet slots or something cut into the wheels to let air flow through them.

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by sleestack71
I have an 05 883 custom. I know it's not much but I'm just getting into it.

I have the 1200 pistons on order, gonna turn her into a sleeper.

sporters FLY when you work them, they are very lightweight and the power to weight ratio on them when they r worked a bit its pretty cool, my wideglide flys but my dad has alota money in it, the barnett clutch was close to 500 bucks :eek2:, i guess u could call mine a sleeper its not really a eye catcher yet or anything, as soon as i can get some money i want to get the heads ported and polished and run a bigger cam in it, right now i think it has a 530 lift if im correct

2000ex
08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Yup, a nicely built sportster will definitely tear it up.

My favorite thing is being next to someone on a newer 600 crotch rocket and proceed to blow their doors off from stoplight to stoplight :D

YLW400
08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Yea, I have heard that about the solid wheels. I personally like the spoke look, but that's me....

Damn Pismo, I would like to see them, I am not sure how to post pics though..lol

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RytM1
The only downside to the Fat Boy is the wheels. When cruising down the highway, little gusts of wind will hit the solid wheels, and it makes the bike a little squirrely. Thinking about having some discreet slots or something cut into the wheels to let air flow through them.

yea thats true, we had a soild back wheel on the back of ours, and it would tend to move around, we switched back to a laced wheel and its fine :macho

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Yea, I have heard that about the solid wheels. I personally like the spoke look, but that's me....

Damn Pismo, I would like to see them, I am not sure how to post pics though..lol

have fun with harleys spokes though, they r kinda crappy you deff have to stay on top of them with mothers or some kind of polish

YLW400
08-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Yea, I've seen that too..this has the original Lowrider wheels, which are cast, so it shouldn;t be too bad..low maintenance...

Bretmd94
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Turn the Throttle on a Honda Streetbike = You go faster

Turn the Throttly on a Harley = It just gets louder.

:eek: :blah:

PismoGuy400
08-10-2004, 01:12 PM
id be able to get them in about a week or so... im going to tahoe tomorrow morning, and as for right now my battery is dead on my digital camera, and there is a bunch of crap in the way right now.. but i will definately take som when i get back.. you can also search it on google "1942 harley XA"

tha bike was built for war in africa, shaft driven for the sand, left handed throttle, right handed clutch, motor sits sideways in the frame, its awesome looking bike (the design).. ours doesnt look to pretty seeing that it has barely been touched in 40-50 years, but its still a really unique looking motorcycle.

but anyways, check it out on google, its pretty crazy, not the traditional harley, many peple have never seen or even heard of them.

beachbumnc
08-10-2004, 01:14 PM
What is so good about Harley's?
Next time you watch any Motorcycle program on TV (even the ones geared for Harleys), count how many shows are sponsored by HD. NONE. There sponsored by Honda, and some Suzuki. Harley's are run by lawyers and businessmen who could give a rats *** about performance or the real biker world. All they worry about is profit. Buy an aftermarket anything, and pay 10 times more than what it's worth, and look at where it's made. Taiwain!
HD is nothing more than a overpriced MC whose owners began riding motorcycles during there midlife crisis, and bought one because they had more money than sense.
There is nothing more Gay than an old dude with a new leather jacket and chaps riding a new Harley. Kinda of reminds me of PeeWee Herman's Great Adventure, where he's in the gay biker bar, with "Tequilla" playing in the background.
If you want a Harley, don't buy a new one, just go to any paper, there full of them. Why? Because owner's that bought them realized that they are all hype.
Save your 25K, and go buy a VTX or Busa and put some real power between your legs, and then buy a 450 TRX, CRF 450 and a CR-80 for the kid with the money left over.
Harley's SUCK!

PismoGuy400
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
beachbum there was no reason to say all that ****, if you dont like the thread then dont open it, and more importantly, ignore it, thast what the "back" button is for

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by beachbumnc
What is so good about Harley's?
Next time you watch any Motorcycle program on TV (even the ones geared for Harleys), count how many shows are sponsored by HD. NONE. There sponsored by Honda, and some Suzuki. Harley's are run by lawyers and businessmen who could give a rats *** about performance or the real biker world. All they worry about is profit. Buy an aftermarket anything, and pay 10 times more than what it's worth, and look at where it's made. Taiwain!
HD is nothing more than a overpriced MC whose owners began riding motorcycles during there midlife crisis, and bought one because they had more money than sense.
There is nothing more Gay than an old dude with a new leather jacket and chaps riding a new Harley. Kinda of reminds me of PeeWee Herman's Great Adventure, where he's in the gay biker bar, with "Tequilla" playing in the background.
If you want a Harley, don't buy a new one, just go to any paper, there full of them. Why? Because owner's that bought them realized that they are all hype.
Save your 25K, and go buy a VTX or Busa and put some real power between your legs, and then buy a 450 TRX, CRF 450 and a CR-80 for the kid with the money left over.
Harley's SUCK!

hey we got a harley and we had money left over to get a cr80 :D

beachbumnc
08-10-2004, 01:29 PM
Please forgive me.
I'm sorry about my post, I was just venting. I hope I did not offend any Harley Davidson riders, because that was not my intention. I simply wanted to point out my point of view. Harley's are great bikes, and should be seen as an investement as well as a well built American made motorcycle.

Just kidding.

Mxjunkie
08-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by beachbumnc
Please forgive me.
I'm sorry about my post, I was just venting. I hope I did not offend any Harley Davidson riders, because that was not my intention. I simply wanted to point out my point of view. Harley's are great bikes, and should be seen as an investement as well as a well built American made motorcycle.

Just kidding.

whats up with u man? if you dont like em dont post, JMO

2000ex
08-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Funny that all the new jap cruisers are modeled after the Harley V-twin now huh? From the belt drive, single pin crank, looks, etc they are obviously trying to copy what Harley has cornered the market with for years. Granted they look nice, however the quality of chrome, materials, etc on the jap cruisers is vastly inferior to the quality of materials used by Harley.

Wonder what the resale value will be on a VTX of Huyabusa will be in a few years compared to the resale of a Harley? :rolleyes:

WEEZIL
08-10-2004, 07:38 PM
hey 2000ex what kinda seat is that

z400rider23
08-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey Beachturd, what's your problem? Your 4th post as a newbie and your already starting some crap. If you don't like a thread then just leave it alone. We have enough 12 year old smart asses on this site already we don't need another. I do agree with 200ex, check the worth of the Busa and vtx the day after you drive em home and the decision to buy the Harley looks that much better.

sly400ex
08-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Harleys are way UNDERSTOOD...for the most part. They're not out there trying to be the fastest( although they can) but they are the most admired without a doubt......for multilpe reasons.....

My 1200 has taken a beaten and can still hang with the best of em!!!:D

No, it won't beat a Hayabusa or even a 600...but it also wasn't built for that...it was built to cruise......nuff said....

I bet I have a lot more low end torque than most sportbikes!!!!

popo
08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
Turn the Throttle on a Honda Streetbike = You go faster

Turn the Throttly on a Harley = It just gets louder.

:eek: :blah:

Resale your Honda= Flush the toliet

Resale you Harley= Smile on the way to the bank

SGA
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
1942 harley XA

PismoGuy400
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
there she is, just not that good lookin

look closely you can see harleys one and only shaft drive, and look at that kickstarter..

popo
08-11-2004, 06:00 AM
Here was my 1999 FXDWG. Two time Harley Davison ride in show champion, along with several bike show trophies.

I sold it to a Canadian gentleman for 33 grand.

I have had over 12 custom bikes vauled up to $97,000.00 ea entered in the rats hole bike shows Easy riders etc. Discovered racing quads was cheaper.

popo
08-11-2004, 06:02 AM
The boom can shot 7.5 in dia exhaust

popo
08-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Side Shot

YLW400
08-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Nice looking bike Popo!!! Are you still riding?

That is cool, and unique looking Pismo..

I did pick up the Lowrider last night...I have alot of work ahead of me......lol

XANDADA
08-11-2004, 06:50 AM
Nice rides, I've been wanting to get a high HP cruiser for awhile now. Probably either a Big Dog or Ironhorse. I got a couple newbie questions, figure I might as well ask you guys: What's the difference between chain drive and belt drives? Also, are the bikes with the fat 250 series tires better with right side drives? What are the downfalls to right side drives? Thanks...

biker
08-11-2004, 07:11 AM
man I'm getting in the thread late (just got back from the beach) I ride a 03 Heritage with some tweaking here and there. My biggest struggle is talking myself out of riding the Harley and going to ride the Warrior:D

2000ex
08-11-2004, 08:02 AM
hey 2000ex what kinda seat is that

It is actually a stock fatboy seat, it fits very well with the lines of the bike. I am looking at a Lepera Bare bones though because it is a bit smaller. The seat and the oil tank dipstick, and the screaming eagle ignition are the only things stock Harley on the bike.

What's the difference between chain drive and belt drives? Also, are the bikes with the fat 250 series tires better with right side drives? What are the downfalls to right side drives? Thanks...

Well, I have owned my bike since February and a few weeks ago snapped the rear drive belt. Running over 100hp to the rear tire + 230 rear = a lot of stress on the belt. I just replaced it this weekend and will see how the belt holds up. Some people say they are good for over 100+ HP, while others tend to run chains. It really depends on your school of thought.

My bike is the traditional left side drive. Typically with a left drive you will have the large offset primary to get the peoper spacing for the rear tire. Some people say that the bike will be inherantly left heavy, although as with anything you get used to it. The guy I bought it from told me this, but I never really noticed it. The benefit to a right drive is a weight balance so the drive belt offsets the primary on the left.

Are the right drives better? Who is to say, but you will have more problems getting parts because most bikes are left drive.

Mxjunkie
08-11-2004, 08:07 AM
hey popo, you wideglide reminds me of the wideglide3's that harley put out not too long ago, nice bike :macho i hope mine will look something like that some day

popo
08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
hey popo, you wideglide reminds me of the wideglide3's that harley put out not too long ago, nice bike :macho i hope mine will look something like that some day

Ya it does? H.D. CVO copied mine down in Daytona in 2000 and came out with it 6 months later. We had a pretty heated dicsussion about that and I won :D $$$

Mxjunkie
08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by popo
Ya it does? H.D. CVO copied mine down in Daytona in 2000 and came out with it 6 months later. We had a pretty heated dicsussion about that and I won :D $$$

lol, i was down there for 2000, thats when we got our bike down at ft.lauderdale(sp)

YLW400
08-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Anyone wanna come build mine and drink beer in my garage? :o

MIKE400EX
08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I'll drink the beer YLW. Turn the ducks up this weekend!

YLW400
08-11-2004, 02:51 PM
I don't have waterfront property anymore Mike :( The pond dried up!!!!

MIKE400EX
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
You will after the hurricane(s) hit this weekend!

trick450r
08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
nice bikes guys but i gotta say....those things are useless noise they go by my house at like 2:00 in the morning and you can hear em 10 miles away....and for the guy who said he can beat a crotch rocket.....BS and good crotch rocket will toast those pieces of shiny crap! not trying to offend anyone!

2000ex
08-11-2004, 05:18 PM
and for the guy who said he can beat a crotch rocket.....BS and good crotch rocket will toast those pieces of shiny crap! not trying to offend anyone!

I know it is fact, I do it regularly. Obviously after a while they will catch up and pass me but that is well over 100 MPH and the drag is virtually over by then.

Well lets look at facts here. A stock 600cc R6 for example will put down around 90-100 hp at the rear tire. If you look at the dyno for one of these machines they put down great peak HP numbers
( think like a banshee only on a much higher scale) but have a terrible power delivery. You really need to wind those things to over 9K before they start making ANY power at all. Also they produce virtually NO torque at all....a paltry 43ft/lbs at over 10,800 RPM!!

Here is a link to a dyno of a 2001 R6
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/mcphotos/01r6dyno.html

My bike is putting down in excess of 100hp and 100ft/lbs of torque to the rear tire. This power is readily available from the bottom to the top of the power, but I can only run to around 6200 RPM before it is bouncing off the rev limiter. Easily enough HP to stomp a 600cc machine.

Call BS if you want, but I have done this countless times and the result is always the same

trick450r
08-11-2004, 06:21 PM
oh wait im sorry clarify how big your motor is? let me put it this way if you were running a 600 also the crotch rocket would eat you up and spit you out!

dirtmomma
08-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Anyone wanna come build mine and drink beer in my garage? :o

I'll drink beer & supervise :blah: ;)................................................ ...
rides a quad & a harley & has great hair :devil: j/p ;)

2000ex
08-11-2004, 07:41 PM
oh wait im sorry clarify how big your motor is? let me put it this way if you were running a 600 also the crotch rocket would eat you up and spit you out!

A 96 cubic inch S&S motor. :o
It converts to about 1573.158144cc's

Thanks for your revelation that a high tech, liquid cooled, 4 valve/cylinder, 4 cylinder will outperform a single pin crank, air cooled, V-twin of the same displacement :rolleyes:

Mxjunkie
08-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 2000ex
A 96 cubic inch S&S motor. :o
It converts to about 1573.158144cc's

Thanks for your revelation that a high tech, liquid cooled, 4 valve/cylinder, 4 cylinder will outperform a single pin crank, air cooled, V-twin of the same displacement :rolleyes:

now dont get too ahead of your self now, the ss 96 is a good motor but, the 600s may loose in take off but once you start topping out u they will fly by u ;)

RH1N08d9
08-11-2004, 07:56 PM
anybody that bashes a harley should jump off a bridge. they are excelent cruisers, not a f'in superbike! my parents ride em, no problems, in about 20,0000 miles on my dads roadking. and the reason they cost so much, is because they are made in factorys in AMERICA by americans, and americans don't work for a buck an hour. I have seen lot's of s&s motored harleys that could smoke a 600 sportbike. I also have nothing wrong with jap bikes, my dad is gonna buy a suzuki or honda sportbike to go along side his cruiser, and in the next year or so... I'm gonna buy a sportbike.

Mxjunkie
08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
yeah the 107s,120s-etc they would probaly rip a 600 a new *********

2000ex
08-11-2004, 08:03 PM
now dont get too ahead of your self now, the ss 96 is a good motor but, the 600s may loose in take off but once you start topping out u they will fly by u

Obviously, at top speed they will take me I never questioned that. In one of my previous posts I referred to a stoplight to stoplight race. They are geared for top end, and they are over 200lbs lighter than my 620lb bike. I have not run my bike in the quarter mile at the track, but I would say a mid 11 sec 1/4 is not out of the question

If you are looking for top end speed and something that will be virtually worthless in 6-7 years than by all means go buy a crotch rocket. They are great for handling, top speed, and a sore back. I have owned many a crotch rocket in my life, and would take my current ride over all of them.

Ride what you want, and ride safe

popo
08-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 2000ex

Ride what you want, and ride safe

Excately.... thank you

YLW400
08-12-2004, 06:03 AM
I just saw a Revtech motor in a chopper mag. that puts out 186hp..... I think that should go in the Lowrider...lol

Dirtmomma!!!:devil: "had" great hair ;) lol We are in need of a supervisor! lol

dirtmomma
08-12-2004, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by YLW400
I just saw a Revtech motor in a chopper mag. that puts out 186hp..... I think that should go in the Lowrider...lol

Dirtmomma!!!:devil: "had" great hair ;) lol We are in need of a supervisor! lol [/QUOTE

Haha ;)

CHAR250R
08-12-2004, 09:33 PM
96 FXSTC. Nice to cruise around on. If I bought one of those crotch rockets, I'd be dead by now. I don't care what you ride, just ride!