PDA

View Full Version : hubs loose except for cotter pin???

kilabeez0
08-09-2004, 09:41 PM
like it says, the hub nuts are loose and tightening doesn't do anything because they loosen up. the only thing holding them on is the cotter pin. does this affect anything? should i lock tite those things on there or wut?:confused:

Rebelrider4OOex
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
i would use some kind of lock tite on them or get an air gun and see if that keeps the bolts tight

08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
take the pin out & retighten them...dont let that cotter pin just hold it on b/c it will eventually snap & youll get seriously injured

Edit: try to put some duct tape around the threads for your hub & screw to grip on..it will work temporarily

LazeR
08-09-2004, 11:59 PM
mine was loose one time...i took it off....cleaned it...greased it and torqued it to 101ft lbs like the service manual calls for and replaced the old cotter pin with a new one...and its worked fine for several months so far

Florida400EX
08-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I just used an air gun.... they're still tight after a few hours of riding.

JOEX
08-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
mine was loose one time...i took it off....cleaned it...greased it and torqued it to 101ft lbs like the service manual calls for and replaced the old cotter pin with a new one...and its worked fine for several months so far
Worked for me too;)

plkmonster2
08-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey kilabeez, hows it going? Nice to see another 3ww person on here! Take the pin out, and tighten it up. I like to put grease in the splines too, so the hubs don't clunk if they do get loose. Also, I replaced the stock pin with a larger diameter one, so it fit a lot better.

kilabeez0
08-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Wuts up plk? Represent'n 3ww over here!:macho anyway thanks for all the help guys i'll make sure to tighten them up much better!

hondarider2006
08-12-2004, 01:48 AM
My hub nuts ALWAYS come loose on my durablue....pisses me off too, seems like no matter what I do, the damn things come loose. Snapped 2 cotter pins so far, just waiting for the tire to pass me up some time on the trail....:o

flyingbyfast400
08-13-2004, 05:49 PM
I have a rpm axle and hiper rims and my right spindle nut stays tight all the time but my left spindle nut becomes lose after a lil riding... But I found the biggest rachet i could find and tighted the crap out of it and it has not backed off one seens then... Its been out to redbud and done some onther hard ridng so its holding up... But My Axle nuts back off alot and need tighted often.... any tips? I wraped them in duct tape so that has helped alot.... But i think I just need to go aftermarket...
Vic