PDA

View Full Version : Can You Name That Sound???please help....odd noise

r-exrider0003
08-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Just a few days ago i was about to go riden on my 300ex and i was just lettin it idle.....then i heard an odd noise.....it wasnt like knocking, b.c. i wasnt consistint with the idle, it whoud be like idle idle idle idle+tink idle+tink idle+tink idle+tink.....idle idle idle and so on and so forth......i was hopeing maybe i just needed to adjust the valves or somthing??any help at all would be really apreicated...thanks

400exdad
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
While it is neccesary to adjust the valves from time to time, I am wondering if it was only a misfire, or I wonder if it was pre-detonation due to too slow an idle. Try idling it up and see if the noise goes away. If it does not, it may be mechanical.

devildriver422
08-09-2004, 03:06 PM
it could be your clutch mine does that quietly but only when the quad isnt warmed up it quiets down after a few minutes or when i rev it up....i also have a 250ex tho so it might be dif. cuz i have autoclutch

Fingerthephone
08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
THATS SUCKS

plkmonster2
08-09-2004, 09:31 PM
My dr does a clunking sound if the idle is just right where the clutch engages and disengages. Your ex is probably deotnating. try a higher octane fuel. If it sounds metally, it is detonation. If it is ticking like a clock, its the valves. My dr will do that from time to time, but once oil gets on the rocker, it quiets down.

r-exrider0003
08-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Ok, first of all thanks for all the help:) .....i tryed adjusting the idle i went higher and lower and it still did it....and im pretty sure its not the clutch....and on the octane thing wouldnt it be doin constantly???, but ill get some 93 with a lil octane booster this afternoon and drain my old gas.... and get back with the results....thanks