PDA

View Full Version : bent shift shaft

fasterz
08-08-2004, 10:24 PM
my buddy was racing and sometime through out the race his foot landed on the shifter insted of the peg and it bent the shaft, how does he fix it? will we have to split the cases to put a new one in? thanks

TGW_400ex
08-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
my buddy was racing and sometime through out the race his foot landed on the shifter insted of the peg and it bent the shaft, how does he fix it? will we have to split the cases to put a new one in? thanks

My friend did that after he ran into me (his fault) he never fixed it either:eek2:

TC426EX
08-09-2004, 05:05 AM
To put it bluntly, hes screwed... I broke a shift shaft this year and YES you need to split the cases to fix the damn thing since honda only designed it as a half shaft on the 400ex... That means, he'll need to order a new bottom end gasket set, top end gasket set, a new set of rings, get his cylinder honed, etc.... Tell him to call East Coast atv for a new shift shaft. They have a huge inventory of used parts, and I got a used shift shaft from them in mint condition for 15 bucks... I dont remember what their number is but you can get it off their website below...

www.eastcoastatv.com

Good luck!!!!!

fasterz
08-09-2004, 11:01 PM
well this is a z400, is it the same thing that he'll have to do? we thought mabey we could heat it and bend it back cuz its only bent after it comes out of the motor we think, it still shifts normal its just bent

Quad Dude
08-10-2004, 06:24 AM
id get the good old torch out and heat it up bend it back. i mean it cant hurt if u were going to replace it other wise. its worth a shot

'03'300ex'er
08-10-2004, 08:24 AM
theres most likely a seal in the case which will get hot and melt when you heat it, which will cause oil to leak out in return so you might be better off to either leave it bent or tear it apart and fix it right:)

TC426EX
08-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Im not sure if its the same or not, but either way that is one part you cant jerry rig. Like someone else said, leave it bent or fix it right. The shaft is hardened steel and if you heat it up hot enough to bend it you will toast the inner seal inside the case and then youll really have a mess... Do it right and save some headaches or leave it how it is....