PDA

View Full Version : new carrier or just bearings?

maxamillion
08-08-2004, 08:50 PM
my 400ex is making a metal on metal scraping noise coming from the axle carrier. i could only here it in 3rd gear or above at first but then i tightened my chain up some and now its much louder and here it in every gear. no i did not over tighten the chain. i had to replace the swingarm bearings already and im thinking the axle bearings may be shot to. i dont think the axle slides side to side so i guess the carrier is fine....??? should i go ahead and replace the carrier w/ an aftermarket one or just get new bearings? what are the advantages of these over stock other than they may be stronger. ive done some research and ppl seem to like the Burgard and Rad twin row carriers. let me know what u think....... ill be ordering the parts from C&D.

08-09-2004, 06:21 AM
Order a new carrier and be done with it..:cool:

08-09-2004, 06:45 AM
sounds to me like your riding it like that! if so, it may be too late & you will have to order a new carrier. Only way to find out is to take it off

dynofox
08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
When my carrier bearings went bad I replaced the whole carrier with a twin row set-up. Much better than the stocker.

400ex28
08-09-2004, 05:33 PM
replace the whole thing!!!!! :eek:

maxamillion
08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
well everyone is tellin me to replace the whole thing but i would like to know WHY a double row is better than stock. im going to take it apart tonight so ill see if the stock carrier is damaged. Thanks for the replys.

dynofox
08-09-2004, 06:12 PM
The reason I went with a twin row carrier is #1 for the double width bearings. These will hold much better than the stock width. The new carrier also has a grease zerk so you can keep your bearings lubed up.

Chanman420q
08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
im geting a new carrier, and dont know what to go with, burgard or LSR. i guess my friend said he saw sparks coming from my carrier the other night but i think hes an idiot and it was my exhaust. nether the less i need new bearings

4wheelboy
08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
im geting a new carrier, and dont know what to go with, burgard or LSR. i guess my friend said he saw sparks coming from my carrier the other night but i think hes an idiot and it was my exhaust. nether the less i need new bearings

i have a RAD mfg life time warrenty :devil:

Quad Dude
08-10-2004, 06:20 AM
how much did u get railed for ur rad carrier i bought one off ebay and it came in a rad box and i only payed $$112.for a 300 one i also got one for my 400 but i think it was only like 120 or so.

Zingnut
08-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Am I retarded or something!!! From what I know the bearings in these new carriers are sealed and can not be greased without damage to the seal. The grease zerk on the twin row carriers is only there to grease the center spacer tube. Am I wrong about this???

I just replaced my old bearings in my carrier and greased the crap out of the center tube and re-assembled. Worked great for me and only cost $45/including tax. So I figure I can replace my carrier bearings 4x's before I reach the cost of the new carrier. I also figured that I do not race and the advantages were not needed for me which I felt there were very little advatages that the twin row carriers would bring to my riding. My stock bearings lasted two years, so I figure by the time I replace them 4x's I will most likely have a new quad. So cost out wayed benefit for me... Just my 2 cents.

Striker49
08-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Zingnut
Am I retarded or something!!! From what I know the bearings in these new carriers are sealed and can not be greased without damage to the seal. The grease zerk on the twin row carriers is only there to grease the center spacer tube. Am I wrong about this???

You are correct. Most twin rows have sealed bearings, if not all and cannot be greased, thats why the grease zerk on my 2 dual row carriers confused me. None-the-less it got 12 shots of grease.

When my bearings went out they ate my carrier and tried to chew into my lsr axle. :huh
I got a brand new lsr dual row carrier for $195 plus tax.

It all depends on what type of riding you do, like Zingnut said.
BTW, when are we ridin at LBL again Zing?