PDA

View Full Version : elka shocks

bigz-71
08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
i have a set of long travel elka shocks. i have a few questions. first, what does the springs do on the shocks beside change ride height and what does compression do. does the springs work on the take off of the jump and compression work on the landing. if you are taking bigger jumps does that mean compress your springs are does it mean turn the compression a little harder on the shocks.
second, for those of you out there who have elka shocks what ride height are yall running? i was told 8 in the front and 7 1/2 in the rear. i race mx so please give me a mx setup.
third, my front shocks feel so stiff compared to my rear shock. are the front shocks soppossed to be stiff like that. i have the compression all the way soft and they still feel really hard when i press down on them. i thought if they were soft on the compression you should be able to push them down easily without any effort.
if anyone has any answer to my questions will you please help me on these issues. i would appricate it very much.
thanks
Jeremy

08-08-2004, 09:00 PM
sounds to me like they may be setup for expert for HUGE jumps...when they asked what skill level you were what did you tell them?

bigz-71
08-09-2004, 06:32 AM
they are setup for a B class rider.

CdaleXtreme
08-09-2004, 02:26 PM
For the fronts. Pushing down on it is one thing, and riding is another.

How does it feel when you ride it?

How many hours do you have on the shocks? (are they broken in?)

--

Is your Rear shock an Elka?

If so did you get the ELKA Linkage and shock.

If you are running a stock shock, and or the stock linkage. It will not work well with the front. The rear linkage and shock setup it way too limiting. to work in unison with your fronts.

--

The comrpession, and spring rate work together, on jumps, bumps landings etc. they are both vital to a good working shock.

--

As for ride height. Depending on what type of tracks you run you should adjust your ride heigth accordingly.

Fast, level, generally smooth tracks. (not many breakerbumps or ruts) MOST TRACKS. I run and reccomend about 6 to 7 inches while you are sitting on the bike. from the frame rail to the ground.

Rougher tracks more ruts etc, Raise it up a little bit. about in inch or so.

Most pros run about 7 inches. A Lower ride will make your bike Corner like a go-kart. But will make it a ride rougher in the choppy stuff.