PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else do this?

K_Fulk
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I just rebuilt my topend. After I got it all together it wouldnt fire. I had spark and fuel it just wquldnt fire.

I figured my cam timing was off. And when i took the cover off the stator case i noticed ther were some metal shavings on the flywheel. Took the flywheel off and the key the flywheel sat on was stripped down to being flush with the crank.

I'm pretty sure thats what my problem was. And i think i got all the shavings cleaned up. I dont think they got that far. When it originally went down it was sputtered and just quit. The headgasket was leaking too.

Anyone else have this problem? Hopefully i can put a new key in and it will be ready to go.

MIKE400EX
08-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Make sure there's no shavings in the starter gear clutch and that it's not binding up any. The flywheel bolt was probably loose (before).

K_Fulk
08-08-2004, 08:47 PM
There wast any shavings on the starter clutch , they pretty much were contained to the outside of the flywheel.

While I have a thread going anyone know the valve adjustment specs for a tc 924 grind cam for a 400ex?

nakomis0
08-08-2004, 10:41 PM
when you say rebuilt the top end what all did you do? Just pistons and rings?

Just wondering cause my buddy did a piston and rings on a 400ex and it hasnt ran for 8 months.:eek: he asked me about it , I said maybe the cam or something but all that was re checked... and i told em i didnt know cause its pretty hard to mess up replacing a piston.....

TC426EX
08-09-2004, 05:01 AM
The valve adjustments for the TC cam are 5 and 7 thousandths....

K_Fulk
08-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
when you say rebuilt the top end what all did you do? Just pistons and rings?

Just wondering cause my buddy did a piston and rings on a 400ex and it hasnt ran for 8 months.:eek: he asked me about it , I said maybe the cam or something but all that was re checked... and i told em i didnt know cause its pretty hard to mess up replacing a piston.....

New rings, hone, cylinder decked and head shaved.

TC426EX The valve adjustments for the TC cam are 5 and 7
thousandths....

.005 on the intake and .007 onthe exhaust?