PDA

View Full Version : Rally Team

Toadz400
08-08-2004, 06:35 PM
What does it take to set up your own rally team?

My family has had old Subaru's (84-87's) for a long time and my dad, sister, and I always love driving them. I have one of my own right now, it's an '87 GL Hatcback, 1.8L 4 cylinder with a SOHC I believe. It's an awesome little car, you can switch from FWD to AWD and 4WD-Low. I've been driving it through my woods for quite some time (more like racing) and working on getting faster and faster.

I was driving with my sister and her bf on the trails behind my house, taking turns driving, when we all came up with the idea of making our own Rally Team. We have three Subaru's that could easily be fixed up (new suspension, new engine dropped in, exhaust), but we don't know if we could find any Rally events nearby (Mid-Western Wisconsin), I have no clue if there are even any rally events in Wisconsin...

We wouldn't be entering any events to win, just to have fun, pretty much what racing is about for a lot of people. I'm guessing to win any sponsorship you will have to prove that you are a great racer and win some events...oh well, won't need any sponsorship with three people paying for parts.

Does anyone on this site race Rally events?

For our car we were thinking of either buying a new Subaru (Most likely WRX) or dropping a different engine in my '87 (one with EFI and maybe a bigger size). The transmission and gearing seems to be set up perfectly for woods racing, 4WD-low has amazing low end but doesn't seem to work that well unless we are in VERY tight woods, but just regular 4WD works awesome for my woods...I can open her up in 3rd gear and not crash:cool: .

I can't think of anything else to say/ask right now...anyone else have any tips or advice? Oh and we were thinking about calling ourself Team TTP (Tody, Tody, Phyle). My last name is Tody and my sister's boyfriend's last name is Phyle.

Smokin 440
08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
old subys are awesome in the woods, ane of my bud's has one(currently being rebuilt) that we beat the piss out of... There is a race somewhere i just dont know where or when off the top of my head...

Toadz400
08-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
old subys are awesome in the woods, ane of my bud's has one(currently being rebuilt) that we beat the piss out of... There is a race somewhere i just dont know where or when off the top of my head...

Yea, my older '84 Suby I believe is only a 4-spd, but it was definately as much fun on the trails...needs a nice rebuild though and a new right-side fender from my brother hitting a tree.

My '87 Suby runs pretty good, on the lean side though, backfires when I rev too high and let off to shift, but doesn't backfire if I shift fast enough. I really wish I had EFI on that thing, then I wouldn't have to mess around with the jetting on it...that's probably going to be a pain, might as well drop a whole new engine in...wouldn't be too hard dropping in a newer Suby engine, only thing I would have to do is probably make new engine mounts, which wouldn't be too hard.

Subaru rules:cool:

Smokin 440
08-08-2004, 08:40 PM
AHHHH...Crandon offroad race, laborday weekend. My dad did it once a long time ago when it was a fairly small event, I'm pretty sure it's a pretty big thing now... So where in Wisconsin u from?

Toadz400
08-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm in the Mid-Western part, Polk county if you know of that...otherwise about an hour east of the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

cdalejef
08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Try this link http://www.rallyracingnews.com/