PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP, crack in engine?

K2Snow
08-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Alright this may be the wrong forum but I need an answer asap. I noticed a collection of oil building up in the pan underneath the engine while I was out riding. By the time I got home, the pan was filled up pretty good and leaking everywhere. I took the pan off and finally found a tiny crack up under the engine where oil was sloooowly coming through. The crack is maybe as long as my thumbnail and as thin as a piece of hair. Would JB weld more than likely hold the oil? If not, what other options are there? I need to have this up and running within the next day or so. I was thinking about draining the oil, drying everything up, and JB welding it. Thank you for any quick response!

Ralph
08-08-2004, 02:06 PM
We jb welded a 200sx motor oil drain and it worked very well, id say u could give it a shot but u might want to grid the crack out a little bit, sand all around the area and make it nice and smooth...

K2Snow
08-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Alright well I went ahead and JB welded it. I tipped the quad a little to the side so that the remaining oil would drain away from the crack. Even with that, I noticed some oil mixing in witht he weld about halfway through applying it. I still covered the crack completely but do you think the oil seeping in might affect the weld? Ah, probably so. I'll prob have to do it over tomorrow.

Ralph
08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
if it doesnt rig it then drain all the oil out, sand everything down, grind a little into the crack and apply the jb weld again once its cured sand it down smooth

Syrus
08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
if it doesnt rig it then drain all the oil out, sand everything down, grind a little into the crack and apply the jb weld again once its cured sand it down smooth

Do it that way, JB weld will hold it foresure, but it cant mix with anything while drying. Tip its on the back bar, and make sure the oil is drained, apply it and make sure it goes well into the crack, and smooth it over and around the metal, let it dry, then apply another layer over that just for a stonge and secure hold.

I had an old XR100, someone smashed it up before i got it and there was holes in the gas tank where the forks punched holes in it from turning to far. I drained the gas, and applied a qiuck and ugly patch of JB weld just to hold it for 1 ride. Turns out it held up forever lol, the stuffs amazing, best compond ever made. Ive had it hold anything, gas tanks, throttle cables, plastics, steal u name it, it holds it.

Ralph
08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
what happend on the 200sx is the oil drain bolt was over torked so the whole cracked and we just put a huge blob of jb weld and then drilled new holes and tapped it again. Looked like new....

K2Snow
08-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Well I've already drained all of the oil out. I tipped the quad so that whatever remaining oil in there would run away from the crack. I dried the area the best I could and cleaned it with gasoline. The crack is so small that there is no real way to get "into" it witht he weld. In addition, the crack is right in a little notch by an engine mount so it is difficuly to get in there with any kind of sand paper. It was hard enough applying the weld and I just put as much over the area as I could as smoothly as possible. I didn't notice till half way throught hat there was still oil getting through the crack despite all of the precautions that I took. I'm gonna see how it turns out in the morning and might go over it again. Thanks for advice.