View Full Version : Friend wrecked my quad.

jchevy
08-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Took a friend riding with me last nite. He was riding my 2002 400ex, i was riding my fathers 2002 660r raptor.

My friend didnt have a lot of experiance riding so we went for a ride on a dirt road that winds up to the top of a mountain. You have to ride at night here b/c its so hot during the day. Its a very easy ride, the road isnt that bad, it gets a bit narrow at times but a passenger car can easily make the trip.

Anyway, we get about half way to the top and it looks like a bad storm is coming so we decided to turn around and head back down. We are just cruising a long at a pretty slow pace, i am letting him lead so he can go at his own pace where he feels comfortable. We come to a somewhat hard left hand turn, going at a pretty slow speed. Some how the back end come out on my friend. I see the whole thing happen i am about 20-25 yards behind him. So he starts to slide tward the edge. Right at the edge with the rr tire hanging off the hill it balanced for a just a second and i though he saved it. But sure enough, the left front lifted and he tumbled over the side, he just disapeared over the edge. It was probably a about an 80 degree drop off, almost verticle, with loose rocks and dirt for the first 10 feet of so, then probably turned into a 45 degree slope or a little more for probably 30 or so more feet.

When i pulled up to the endge i could see him moving around and trying to climb out, but the quad was no where to be found.

He ended up falling for that first 10 feet. Luckly he wore the helmet i offerend him, most people dont. He is fine, has some scrapes and bumps and bruises all over. He banged his knee pretty good, but for th mose part he is ok.

Took us a while to locate the quad. Luckily there was a campground at the bottom of the drop off, other wise i have no idea how i would have gotten the quad out, it went down and through a bunch of bushes for a long ways. The camp ground had a grounds keep so i was able to get a nice bright flashlight from him and after 5 minutes of looking i found on its wheels nose first into a barbed wire fence.

It was unbelievable in good shape. From what i can tell so far it needs a new front wheel, tie rod, steering stem and handle bars. Other than that its mostly just scratches i think. Frame looks ok, and the rear axle is fine. I know for a fact it was tumbling down becuase i could hear it crashing through everything when i first pulled up. It must have only rolled a couple times and then landed on its wheels and just rode itself down the rest of the way.

I think after a couple hundred in ebay parts it should be good as new, minus the scratches.

It really sucks though, i have never crashed that quad and the plastics were in really good shape with only a few small scratches. Now they are all scratched up.

The guy is a good friend of mine and is gunna pay for the parts. Im just gunna have him replace whats bent or broken, im not worried about the scratches on the plastic even though he offered to replace them.

All in all, im just glad he wasnt hurt, i dont deal with blood and guts very well

08-08-2004, 10:23 AM
too abd it wasnt the raptor that he could of wrecked...lol...bumemr..i dont let friends ride my four wheeler unless they have one for me to ride

jchevy
08-08-2004, 10:30 AM
I only let friends that i know will pay for damages and can afford to pay for damages ride my quad. He is a good guy and i wont get screwed over.

A lot of people dont like the raptors, but i presonally love them, i would trade my 400 for one in a second, and if i had it to do over again i would bought a raptor. I guess its all just personal preference, and riding style.

08-08-2004, 10:40 AM
the good thing is that he isnt hurt badly and that he is going to pay for your quads damages. i do the same thing as jumbo only if they let me drive their quad i will let them drive mine

08-08-2004, 10:42 AM
ive let friends ride my quad & they wreck & say they will pay for everything & a few eeks later you have nothing & a ruined friendship....good luck

400exdad
08-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Thats terrible dude! I hope it works out for you. When my neice crashed my sons LT80 in about 2.3 seconds and took out a spindle on a almost new quad, I bought "No Bozo's" stickers! Only folks who know how to ride, ride my stuff now.

Rrider4life8
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
:eek:

bulkdriverlp
08-08-2004, 08:15 PM
glad hes ok. since hes gunna pay for the parts(if he does) than hes a good friend. i have a policy with everything, "yu break you pay". but........stuff happends ya know.:blah:

SHOCKER
08-08-2004, 09:07 PM
well that sounds like an awesome friend, and now ya have an excuse to buy some fullbores :blah:

jchevy
08-08-2004, 09:11 PM
He is a really good friend so im trying to find things as cheap as possible. Will probably just do stock bars b/c i can get them for like $10 and i hear tie rods are only like $7 at the dealer. I will probably wait till i get the new bars before i get a steering stem just so i know for sure it bent. Most expensive and hardest thing to find is a stock front wheel.

FMX
08-09-2004, 12:16 AM
simple solution- kill him

SGA
08-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Yeah, accidents happen.
Driving down a road, hit the gas for a sec, the back end kicks out and youre in the woods. Heck, its happened to me a few times!
Glad your friends ok.

redroost85
08-09-2004, 09:14 AM
I have a simple solution to anybody wanting to ride my quad.....NO!:devil:

Unless I'm certain they have had some serious experience riding a quad, I don't even consider it:o we all know it don't take long for the "I'm an American Badazz mode" to set in when riding.:cuss:

JR3
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
yup i always say no ill get looked at funny well hey buddy @#$% u o yea ive ridden b4 ill jus stay right here i have a drag banshee and a alky raptor jus let me ride if ur that good bring them out here