PDA

View Full Version : HOTWIRE- quad won't spark.

Florida400EX
08-07-2004, 09:37 PM
ok guys, well I lost my key, and I dont feel like cutting my new maier's for the key, so I decided to hotwire it. I cut all three wires, that are suppose to connect to the ignition. I cut all three, conected them together (both black ones and the red), and it would now turn the starter motor on and turn the motor over, but it wouldn't spark. I had my buddy pull me down the street trying to bump start it, and it finally started. I rode it around, and it ran fine from low-mid, but it would chutter on top. I rode it home, and I was in front of the gates. It all over a sudden shut off, and now it won't start again. We've tried everything basic (gas, choke, and other obvious stuff). Is there any other way, that I should connect the wires or whatever? I really need some help guys, I'm considering parting it out and switching to a yamaha!

44oEX
08-08-2004, 10:23 AM
OK first of all you don't have to connect all tree wires. that just won't work.

if you hotwire it normaly you connect the wire that is in the middle of the white connecter and the on on the top. But since you have already cut the wire take a test light and figure out whitch of the three wire is live ( disconnect them first ) and hook it up to the ground wire ( green ) in you ignition.

That sould do the trick. just make sure that your wire don't heat up and melt, That will happen if you mess it up. so before you start it just connect them and make sure they don't get hot.

Florida400EX
08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
ok, well I connect the red and black wire, and I put the black wire with white stripe to ground. The motor turns over, the starter motor works, and I checked for spark ( plug against frame), and I can see a bright spark. But, the motor won't turn on. Since the spark plug is sparking, I'm starting to assume that i have the ignition wired correctly, and there is another problem that I have to trace. The quad worked fine before I decided to hotwire it ( for the new plastics), and once I hotwired it, I connect the wrong two, and fried the fuse. I didn't have an extra, so my buddy pulled me behind him while attempting to push start the quad. It still wouldn't go on, and it was getting spark. I am still left clueless :confused:

Doibugu2
08-09-2004, 04:27 PM
mines hot wired, you only need two wires. Just cannot remember the color of each color.

Chef
08-09-2004, 04:29 PM
If I wasnt so lazy I would go look at mine. I dont even have a key switch, I just have a little toggle switch with 2 wires connected to the bottom. You should go get one that connects 3 and figure out which wire kills the motor so you can hook it up for the switch to shut the ignition off as well as turn it on.

Florida400EX
08-09-2004, 04:43 PM
I'd like to have it so when the kill switch is pulled out the quad has no power, and when I plug it in it's turned on. That would be cool, but I really don't care, I JUST NEED TO GET IT RUNNING BEFORE wednesday.

Snow
08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
is there gas in the tank. it should start if the plug is glowing and the motor turns over. you could just have it so that the quad is always on but to shut it off just disconnect the battery.

Florida400EX
08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer250r
is there gas in the tank. it should start if the plug is glowing and the motor turns over. you could just have it so that the quad is always on but to shut it off just disconnect the battery.

thank's go the great advice, I never thaught of that :blah:

Tomorow, I'm going to adjust the valves, and just start draging the quad down the road behind a truck and try to bump start it. It's REALLY agervating, and this thing is getting to be too expensive to maintain!