PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with cam.... I'm stuck

450 Racer R
08-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I installed the hot cams stage 2 today and after getting everything back together, I changed the oil and went to kick it over but it wouldn't budge. I kicked it twice then turned the choke on and tryed to kick it again but the third time it wouldn't move at all. I even tried to push start it down my driveway and I had a hard time pushing it with the clutch held in. I think tomorrow I'm gonna turn the cam around the other way. Unbolt it from the cam gear and turn it 180*. Think that should help any? I don't know what else the problem could be....

Honda Jay
08-07-2004, 07:17 PM
!!!OUCH!!! Yes, it sounds like you are 180'd out, and need to fix that. . . but the trouble is that you "kicked it" and "push started" it and when it stopped, valves hit the piston and may have bent the valve stems. So, if i were you i would tear it down even more and take a good look at all the valves and such and be very careful!!! Good luck, and i hope that you didn't do what i think you did

Jay

Hammer trx450r
08-07-2004, 08:23 PM
yes please put the quad down. and get out your tools;)

BSTURDIVANT
08-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Four sroke cams can't be installed 180 out, because your either up on compression or exhaust. When you turn the crank 180 your back at TDC compression stroke and everything lines up! You must have degreed your cam with the wrong marks. If it would not turn you definately bent the valves and the head will have to come off. Get some help or a manual for reassembly to avoid damage next time-could have destroyed engine if it started!

When you have the head off, put the piston on TDC and verify the timing mark, then put a spot of white paint on it to make sure you use it to line up the cam. The sprocket bolts will be staight up and down, with the sprocket marks lined up with the arrows on the cam housing.

450 Racer R
08-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Last night it never started. It just wouldn't kick over. This morning I turned the cam over 180* and removed all the shims from the valves. The motor started but the valves were knocking like crazy. So I just put all the shims back in with the two smaller ones on the exhaust and the motor would kick over but wouldn't start. I tore it down again and switched the shims with the smaller ones on the intake side and the motor started and ran fine. There's just a little bit of a clicking noise from the valves. It's barely noticeable. Should I worry about that? I think it's just because of the more aggressive cam that I put in there. But I don't know

450 Racer R
08-08-2004, 10:34 AM
it wasn't the valves it was that horseshoe piece because there was alot of play in it the first time I reassembled everything. It should be alright now. it started and revved up fine

CrazyCooter
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Didn't you check valve lash when you installed the cam the first time?

Why did you start it whithout the shims installed?

I sounds like you should not even change the oil on a lawn mower, let alone work on a fine machine like a Honda!

Are you sure you should be operating any machines?

Hammer trx450r
08-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCooter
Didn't you check valve lash when you installed the cam the first time?

Why did you start it whithout the shims installed?

I sounds like you should not even change the oil on a lawn mower, let alone work on a fine machine like a Honda!

Are you sure you should be operating any machines?

I kinda have to agree with him, alittle harsh but right on the money

sntheticdeluson
08-08-2004, 05:44 PM
you have to change the oil in lawn mowers????? maybe thats why i gotta buy a new one every year!

lukester720
08-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I'd almost bet you a c-note that you didn't readjust the cam chain tensioner did you? That sounds like the problem to me.

redrider05
08-08-2004, 08:57 PM
sounds too me he messed with the auto decompresion when he took the cam out
because if u move that just a little its a bi_ch to kick over