PDA

View Full Version : NJ DEP Commissioner Campbell Not Keeping Promise to OHV Community

xtreme mom
08-07-2004, 07:22 AM
The New Jersey Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) community, with over 100,000 members, is still waiting for Commissioner Bradley Campbell to dedicate land for safe and legal facilities in New Jersey for people to enjoy their chosen sport. On October 7, 4TH, 2002, Campbell issued a new OHV directive #2002-001 and announced rules prohibiting off road motorcycles and quads from all state owned land. The directive went as far as eliminating licensed OHV events on state land, including one with a positive 35-year history. The cancellation of these events has negatively affected local businesses that depend on tourism dollars generated by these events and essential service organizations that are beneficiaries of OHV fundraising.
As part of the October 7 directive, Commissioner Campbell promised its’ Office of Natural and Historic Resources to develop TWO appropriate recreational areas for lawful OHV use - while meeting the policy's safety and natural resource protection requirements. The DEP's goal was to have two such facilities established and in operation by 2005, now only 6 months away. A subcommittee was formed to recommend a location but nothing has been found. Currently the State of New Jersey owns more than 1.26 million acres of property AND IS PURCHASING MORE LAND ALMOST WEEKLY. In this vast bank of State owned land, the OHV subcommittee has found nothing they deem “usable.” The New Jersey OHV community asks why? And, when?

New Jersey is one of the few states in the country that does not provide land for OHV recreation. In the last six years, New Jersey has received nearly five million dollars from the Federal Recreation Trails program, 30% of which ($1,500,000.00) is earmarked for motorized trails. Last year, only two motorized trail projects were funded from this program, Egg Harbor PAL and Island Beach State Park sport fishing beach trail, for a total of $160,950. Where is the balance of this money and why is it not being applied where the Federal government has intended?

New Jersey’s OHV industry generates millions of dollars in tax revenue. In 2001, the estimated economic value of New Jersey’s retail marketplace for the motorcycle industry was $451,010,000. The Garden State is home to over 110 retail outlets employing over 1,250 people with an estimated payroll exceeding $30,005,000. Why is the State excluding this large population that generates considerable tax revenue?
Commissioner Campbell has made a promise, for which he has not yet followed through on. The clock is ticking….
The Xtreme Habitat Recreation Corporation, a non-profit organization is also trying to seek other options for land as well as considering other actions forcing the state to use the federal funds appropriately.

Please help us make him keep his promise!

Karizz
08-07-2004, 08:27 AM
I agree with your statement 110% our state is full of BS...Can you post a link, email address,or snail mail address to send a letter for Commissioner Bradley Campbell So we can let him no what we think?

xtreme mom
08-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Bradley Campbell Commissioner DEP
401 East State St
PO Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08652
fax 609.292.7695

4wheelboy
08-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Karizz
I agree with your statement 110% our state is full of BS...Can you post a link, email address,or snail mail address to send a letter for Commissioner Bradley Campbell So we can let him no what we think?

wow our state sucks im glad i race mx. we realy have no place to ride that u dont always have to be looking behind your back for cops. i would like a place we could go camp an ride but i doubt well ever be able to do that. is there anyhting we could do to help:mad: :confused:

im only 15 but every person counts:macho

bulkdriverlp
08-07-2004, 09:01 PM
sounds like you need to talk to who is in charge of the forests and get a group of people together to make a meeting. and have the businesses push for you and help your cause. the "brass" are willing t o listen if theres a big group and businesses and helping the economy of ur area in mind. theres a site that is heavy into avt politics check it out for some help www.atvoffroad.net, or if ya wanna browse some cool people and info go to www.michigandirtslingers.com:o

4wheelboy
08-07-2004, 10:43 PM
trust me there are soo many groups that send letters and have meating an the goverment dose nothing. thats 1 reason y i hate living in nj there 2 prissy about there dam land:mad:

PEPwalshZ440
08-08-2004, 12:36 AM
This state sucks and always is just focusing on politics and the economy...never just individual enthusiast groups

xtreme mom
08-08-2004, 07:18 AM
sorry to say, one of the reasons we get what we get is because the OHV community is NOT ORGANZIED!!!!. People can complain all they want on a web site (people in charge do not read these sites), but they do not call, write or talk to they people who make the decisions...the senators, mayor, DEP, governor. There is over 100,000 OHV's in NJ, so should figure at least 100,000 riders right?.. Well last year some people tried to form a NJ riders association to help fight these battles...2000 people signed up less then 2%. SO unless more people are willing to fight for thier rights,(and vote for people who will help) things are pretty much going to stay the same...

JRDrider22
08-08-2004, 12:01 PM
yea NJ sucks my nuts im movn back to philly....

i wish we had a good place to ride around here. all we have is highways and cops.