PDA

View Full Version : Steering

04-03-2002, 10:02 PM
I just purchase a 400ex. I thought the handle bar was bent, but upon closer inspection the steering isn't straight. Do I need to adjust the tie rods or is the another way to make the bars staight with the wheels?

04-03-2002, 10:22 PM
You should first check to see that the steering stem and tie rods are not bent.

If all goes well there then be sure both tie rods are set to the same length. Once they are you can set your toe in as well.

I have helped out a few riders with this one and if its all screwed up but nothing is bent or broken sometimes its easier to start fresh from scratch.

Just be sure that both tie rods are about the same length if not exactly the same, if they are and its still not straight then something is bent etc.

04-03-2002, 10:51 PM
if you can't find a problem like the ones 440 mentioned check to see if the top plates welded on strait or if the steering stems bent. honda sometimes welds the plate on crooked or the steering stems a very easy to bend piece.

04-04-2002, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the help, it appears that nothing is bent. I will look at the length of each tie rod and go from there.

exriderdude
04-04-2002, 08:56 AM
your tie rods might be loose at the bottom of your stem. mine come loose all the time.