View Full Version : my bud just got a TURBO!

MY450R
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
my friend just got his quad back and im going there after work to check it out
turbo yfz 450
i talked to him on the phone and he said well his gf said(he was out playing)that it f ing hauls ***** biiiigggg time and she wont even ride on it anymore
ill let you guys know how it is and chit after i ride it
i hope i dont die

08-06-2004, 02:07 PM
WTF does he need turbo for??? He needin to go the ER that much faster....:confused:

1badex
08-06-2004, 02:08 PM
this ought to be interesting...he had to get that custom built right?how big is the turbo?how many pounds of boost?post some pics if possible.

MY450R
08-06-2004, 02:11 PM
i dont have any info right now but it did cost him a bundle to get it done
hes got like 8 or 9 wheelers so its not his only toy
i do believe that its prolly the fastest quad around here by far
he only got it for himself. hes not even going to do drags or anything right now
so he claims or untill i get his ear

kicken250x
08-06-2004, 02:14 PM
im thinking about putting a small eclipse turbo on my 300. they only push 3-5 psi if that. my brother was like "HELL PUT THE T-4 ON IT!" haha rriigghhtt i couldnt even find a place to put it.

i bet that 450 is SWEET tho...as fast as they already are...i cant even imagine one with a turbo on it...

MY450R
08-06-2004, 02:17 PM
i believe he got it from that website
i dont know what its called but i think its the only place that does it
and it cost him way more than what they advertise cause you have to get all aftermarket crap like tranny etc etc.
it took 3 months to get back
cant wait till i get out of work

MY450R
08-06-2004, 02:19 PM
ill be back on monday and ill let you guys know how it is
if he lets me ride it
im the only one he trusts but he might not just the same cause its new to him and all
ill give it my best shot though

440ex2001
08-06-2004, 03:32 PM
I cant wait to hear about that and also to seepics.

Rip_Tear
08-06-2004, 03:35 PM
what web site are you talking about?

Fender Bender
08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
There was a Turbocharged Banshee at Little Sahara not too long ago, it was slow as hell. They made it out to be a badass bike, ended up being gay as hell

08-06-2004, 04:30 PM
i didnt actually think anyone would pay all that money for that turbo stuff....seemed like a big gimmick to me. Tell me how it really is ;)

bulkdriverlp
08-06-2004, 09:49 PM
oh goodie, now quads can have the crappie turbo lag, what a waste of money imo.

dpizz450
08-06-2004, 11:47 PM
well the guy said he had 8 or 9 other toys.....i would assume that he has the money to blow on it.....

Juggalo
08-07-2004, 01:11 AM
my buddy has a turbo 416ex. it should be ready very soon. i have mentioned it here and there around the site. its gonna be bad ***. i'll for sure have a full write up about it when shes done. and yeah i would post the website to the place that hes gettin it done at but that would be against the rules ;) but a big name company is planning on mass producing these kits very soon and my friend may even get a cover story in dirtwheels for his quad! so keep checkin the site for that.

and bulkdriver about the turbo lag. when we were testing the quad we were actually making 1 lb of boost at idle so it was actually spooling TOO fast. we had to take that turbo off and put a bigger one on. that delayed the debut of the quad quite a bit right there but my friend took it out for a spin that day and he said the power on it was ungodly and unlike anything he ever rode before. he said it felt like our friends worked over banshee on some hardcore steroids. i cant wait till the final version is done. soon my friends...very soon!

Guy400
08-07-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
and bulkdriver about the turbo lag. when we were testing the quad we were actually making 1 lb of boost at idle so it was actually spooling TOO fast. we had to take that turbo off and put a bigger one on.Juggalo, it was making boost with the wastegate fully open?

The issue with turbo lag is that there's always some sacrifice to be made. Obviously, smaller turbos spool faster and minimize lag but they run out of breath on the top end. Bigger turbos spool up a little slower, increasing lag but make more power on the top end. One solution to that problem is getting a stutter box. It tricks the turbo into thinking there's a load on the motor and to make boost since just revving it up at a stoplight won't make boost. With the stutter box you can start making boost sitting still so when you launch your turbo has already spooled to a specified boost level.

Juggalo
08-07-2004, 06:46 PM
if memory serves me right this turbo was not wastegated. the new one they put on however is. what does a stutter box look like? cuz this guy has somethin like that i think on there. i dont know. i will get as many details as i can once we get the quad back here

MY450R
08-09-2004, 08:35 AM
OH MY *****
guys this is one freakin fast quad
i cant even believe how fast it is.this is very well made not a pos
it looks like some futuristic quad but it looks sick it jhust looks very fast
he was going up the street about 35 mph and gunned it and it smoked the tires big time for about 100 feet easily
he got off and said be careful
so i hopped on and was cruisin taking it easy when i realized i was only 1/8 throttle
so i opened it up a little and omg i chit myself
i truly believe that turbos are worth every penny
absolutly you cannot say that there is lag i mean you hit the throttle and your gooonnnee
i love that quad i even dream about it lol
just a headsa up if you ever get a chance to ride one
do it you wont regret it

Rebelrider4OOex
08-09-2004, 12:32 PM
if had alot of money i would get a yfz or 450r and get a turbo ino it and just stickly drag race it:eek2: :devil:

JForestZ34
08-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Well lets see pics. Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!!!:D

MY450R
08-09-2004, 02:07 PM
hes got pics but i cant post em cause i dont have a scanner at work

i hate work even though i do this all day
BORING BORING BORING

Striker49
08-09-2004, 02:10 PM
This sounds very interesting and Juggalo is not one prone to lie about anything on here. Im really interested in seeing this on a quad and how it is mounted since there isnt a whole lot of room to work with to begin with.
BTW, Juggalo, if you can, get specs on how much boost it is running. :)

Im not a fan of turbos at all and believe there is no replacement for displacement, but this sounds interesting. ;)

Juggalo
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Striker49
This sounds very interesting and Juggalo is not one prone to lie about anything on here. Im really interested in seeing this on a quad and how it is mounted since there isnt a whole lot of room to work with to begin with.
BTW, Juggalo, if you can, get specs on how much boost it is running. :)

Im not a fan of turbos at all and believe there is no replacement for displacement, but this sounds interesting. ;)

if i remember right the guy is claiming around 14 lbs of boost but that sounds like a ton for a little quad motor. correct me if im wrong but subaru WRX's run 14.5 lbs and thats a 4 cyl car motor. anyways i havent even seen the quad since early spring because we had it out for the drags that day but we ran into some problems (the fuel pressure regulator had a defect and the plenum or whatever in it stopped working). thats with the old turbo too. anyways the next event is sept. 12 and thats our target date on having the quad finished but it might be done before that too. see i guess according to the guy at the shop he had it running decently but hooked an oxygen sensor up to it or whatever and found it was running really lean on the top end (makes sense) so then he was going to buy a dial a jet for it...we got that but then found out that dial a jet works with vaccum so thats a no go with the turbo. so the guy now says that dial a jet tweaked one to where they think it should work with the turbo and that should be coming in in a couple days hopefully and then if that works she should be good to go. i'll def keep you guys updated and we might be goin up to the shop in a weekend or 2 to check on the progress and if we do i will bring a digital camera with me and snap a couple pics.

btw- when i say the guy, i mean the guy who owns the shop doing the turbo. the person who actually owns the quad being turbo'd is is one of my close friends.

450rXtreme
11-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Like JS52589 said the lagg can be minimized w/ the proper turbo size and a/r ratio and if you decide to run an intercooler or not. A non-intercooled setup will build pressure faster due to compression of a smaller space= less lag but a 10-15% less power over the intercooled setup. Either way the torque and hp gains are awesome.

Check this out :
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp

fandl450r
11-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 450rXtreme
Like JS52589 said the lagg can be minimized w/ the proper turbo size and a/r ratio and if you decide to run an intercooler or not. A non-intercooled setup will build pressure faster due to compression of a smaller space= less lag but a 10-15% less power over the intercooled setup. Either way the torque and hp gains are awesome.

Check this out :
http://www.paatving.com/Articles/turbo400ex/turbo400ex.asp

Look at the dates, You do realize this thread is over two years old?

Kaleigh
11-29-2006, 02:07 PM
i seen them do it in Dirtwheels awhile back.. still cool to bring back old threads.. its like lost memories.. :D I was think about putting turbo in mine 400ex.. :macho :macho

honda4life72
11-29-2006, 02:12 PM
i know of a guy at the local drag races that has a twin supercharged or turbo charged banshee....you talking bout sumthing fast and costin alot

coolguy8769
11-29-2006, 02:27 PM
can you even supercharge a quad?? it has no belts so how would you spin the compressor?

Kaleigh
11-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I dont think you can put a Super on.. but I could be wrong.. the only big mod I have ever seen was a NOS Kit on a Banshee

NacsMXer
11-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by coolguy8769
can you even supercharge a quad?? it has no belts so how would you spin the compressor?

It has been done before. I remember a company called Saber Racing built a supercharged kit for the 250R years ago. Had a belt setup that ran off the flywheel through machined holes in the stator cover. Was really a wild custom setup, I searched their site but no more pics :ermm:

I know someone on here has pics of it, it was pretty sick :devil: