PDA

View Full Version : exact oil measurment for oil changes?

04-03-2002, 08:51 PM
anyone have an oil measurement as far as how much oil goes in the tank during an oil change? Is it like 2 quarts? The manual doesn't give you an amount of oil only the type of oil. Thanks

Leo
04-03-2002, 09:37 PM
mine takes just shy of 2 quarts when changing the oil...

make sure to be carefull whentightening the drain plug on the tank, get it to tight and the bottom of the tank will snap off the next time you go to change your oil.

Leo

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 09:43 PM
I had a Service on my 400ex and they put 2-1/2 Quarts in it. I thought that was to much, but he said he check it after running it and the Oil was Fine. Well I got home, started it up, rode it off the Trailer and into my Garage. I checked the Oil and it was about 3/4 the way Full on the Dipstick. Should I check it again? I might check it while it`s Cold, then run it for a little bit and check it, and then Ride for a little while and check it. Do you Guys think it is OK?

knighttime
04-03-2002, 09:46 PM
The amount of oil you put in will maybe never be quite the same. It depends on how much drains out. :eek:

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Thanks Knighttime. I was a little worried about the Oil Level. I don`t want to mess up my Motor. I think it will be OK. Anymore Tips?

gojk
04-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Warriorman, mine takes about the much oil also. It has always takin that much oil and I am not sure why. It seems wierd that everything says like 1.95 quarts but mine takes more. It is better to have it to the full line right?

Dave400ex
04-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Well I checked mine again Today. I let it Run for 3-5 Minutes and Checked it. It was about 2 CM away from the Full Line. So I ran it again getting even Warmer and checked it. Now it was about 1 CM away from the Line. It`s fine. I just didn`t think it would take that much.

Leo
04-04-2002, 04:21 PM
I put 2 quarts in mine, let 'er idle for 5 minutes or so, and it's right on the full mark every time.. ?

Strange that their would be that much difference between 2 bikes..

The service manual says:
1.95 w/ filter change
2.3 after complete engine teardown

Leo

Dave400ex
04-04-2002, 05:54 PM
That`s what I thought, but I have checked it twice and it has been Below the Full Line both Times. Now if I rode for a while then it would be above, but you just have to let it Idle for 5 Minutes. I did that. It was Below. I ran it even a little longer and it was still below. Would the Brand of Oil matter?