PDA

View Full Version : need sprocket advise please

1badex
08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
will changing the sprocket size help out on mx racing? getting out of corners, acceleration, things like this.the highest gear i get up to is 3rd at the tracks i normally ride at and is very rare if i hit 4rth.
thanx

BlueZ440
08-06-2004, 07:29 AM
If you go down one teeth on front it will give you more bottom end. so yes it will help you coming out of corners and acceleration. It also depends on the track,OPEN TRACK or Very close track. Very close track means a lot of turns, doubles coming out of the corners,triples etc...So i'm saying yes on a very technical track but no on a open track. That's my 2cents..

1badex
08-06-2004, 08:01 AM
how many teeth would be recomended?:confused:

BlueZ440
08-06-2004, 09:20 AM
umm..What's your tire size? What is the track like? Hey visit Douggust.com and go to ask the pros. They have a lot of info for gearing,tires,suspension, and lots more..that's where I learn all my stuff from, so far. Well if the track is technical then go down only 1 teeth on front. That will make a huge different on your bottom end.Remember you will lose top speed.

1badex
08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
i cannot get that site to come up.it said i had to download something in order for it to come up.

i run 18 in the rear.i have +3 a-arms with +3 axle. the track has alot of jumps and corners.i really dont care about top speed cause i barely get out of 3rd gear.top speed is not an issue.what brand sprocket has a good reputation?

BlueZ440
08-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Renthal & sidewinder make a good sprocket.well that's my opinion..Yeah just go down one tooth on front and you should be fine. What type of quad do you race? I race a Z440 and I went from 40 teeth in the back to 37 do to the smaller tires. oh yeah you can always do the rear also.

For the Rear:
When you reduce your rear tire size, without changing sprockets, your gearing gets squeezed together and your top speed is cut. You might think "Well, I ride in tight, technical trails and never use the top speed anyway. So, why change sprockets?"
The main thing that needs to be fixed is the gear ratios. When they are all squeezed together like that, you spend all your time shifting. So, to accommodate the smaller rear tires, reduce the rear sprocket size too. This will increase the wheel rotations in relationship to the engine rotations.
If you went from 20" tires down to 18" tires, reduce the rear sprocket by 3 teeth sizes. This can be done with a bench-grinder. Just remove the rear sprocket and clamp it in a vice. Then grind off one tooth at 0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees... Holy cow! We had you going there! :)
When you order a smaller sprocket, consider the material it's made of. Aluminum is lighter but softer. If you ride in sand, it may not be the best choice. Stainless Steel is very strong, but costs more. It's a good choice if you ride in sand or don't ever want to change the sprocket again. There are other steel alloys that are a compromise between weight, cost, and strength.

1badex
08-07-2004, 08:32 AM
hahaha......no you didnt have me going there cause it didnt make no sense.i was about to call you a retard.thanx for the advise though(go down 1 tooth in the front and down three in the back)thanx for the help.i have a 400ex

markk
08-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 1badex
hahaha......no you didnt have me going there cause it didnt make no sense.i was about to call you a retard.thanx for the advise though(go down 1 tooth in the front and down three in the back)thanx for the help.i have a 400ex

Hey if u go down one tooth in the front ( i heard that is like putting like 4-6 teeth in the back) and if that is the case why would u drop one up front and DROP in the rear?????:huh

my buddie ran 14tooth front (stock)38tooth on the rear, with some 20" shredders, Did pretty good with the power of his 416!