PDA

View Full Version : Nerfs for woods riding?

blasterkiller14
08-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Ive had DG nerfs on my 250x for about three years, and I took them off for the first time and am wondering if I really need them. I know they are good for racing so your feet dont fall off. Any trail riders or GNCC racers have any comments. Do you guys run nefts for woods riding. I might sell them. thanks

SHOCKER
08-05-2004, 04:32 PM
pretty much i see nerfs on everbike racing or not, most of the time i dont see them is people who dont care or desert racers, but pretty much all the trail bikes i see has nerfs

TC426EX
08-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Nerfs are great in the woods I think. You can cut around trees and what not and have them bump you around them so you dont catch your rear wheel and crash. People complain that you cant put your feet down if youre not gonna make a hill but I dont see it being a big deal, youre either gonna make it or youre not. Either way you should still be able to get out of it if possible on a hill if youre skilled enough to be attempting it in the first place...

RH1N08d9
08-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I need some for woods riding, when ever I encounter tree's, I have to creep really slow to make sure my rear tires get around em! and the thing about putting you foot down is kinda stupid I think!

08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I think there a must on quads for any type of riding...:cool:

markk
08-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Im not running nerfs, But i can tell you, that when the trails get super tight, or your rear swaps out and catches a tree, that nerfs will help you stay on the bike. They are going to be one of my next investments! But if i where you, I would keep them!

sethg
08-07-2004, 10:55 PM
I dont run them because I dont like them and I always bend them....but I'm running XC races, dont see the need really.

gratzracing24
08-07-2004, 11:05 PM
if i ever get a new bike thats the 1st thing im getting..i love em

KY Woods Rider
08-08-2004, 07:07 AM
I never have liked nerfs for woods riding and racing, but it's just a personal preference thing. I've been riding in the woods for several years, and so far I've done just fine without nerfs.

Of course I'm also the same guy that goes to an MX track and heads wide-open into the first turn bumping and banging without nerfs, so it's possible that I'm just nutty as a fruitcake:p

woodsracr940
08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
i really like having nerfs, for in the woods , with helpin to get around alot of the tight stuff. Plus i've seen people cuttin out the first row of nets, so that u dont ahve to get off the bike to put your feet down. Seems to work pretty well

300ex13
08-10-2004, 07:06 PM
if u hit a bump really hard and u get thrown around on the quad they can act like a second footpeg and can keep from running over trees plus they can keep ur feet from bein run over by ur back tires (in some cases)

Meek
08-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by sethg
I dont run them because I always bend them

I have bent a couple of sets myself while slidding into trees, but they did the job and kept the trees away from my legs. Money well spent 2 times.

XANDADA
08-11-2004, 06:55 AM
I think nerf's are a must for any kind of aggressive riding. I bang my nerfs up against trees all the time. They have even cought my feet sliding off the pegs a few times. I'd hate to think what it would feel like catching a rear tire on a tree doing 25+ mph - ouch....

bradley300
08-11-2004, 07:21 AM
last week i bent an axle on my blaster because i didnt have nerfs. slid around a corner and a tree came in behind my peg, hit my rear tire and bent my axle all to hell. they will be the next investment i make!

ReconRider25
08-11-2004, 07:29 AM
i like em. saved my foot a couple times when slipped off the pegs and i can use em to just slide around trees instead of gettin the rear wheel hung up on em.:)

fastblaster2002
08-11-2004, 08:50 AM
i dont care what kind of riding you do theyll save your butt many times...unfortunately for me i didnt ever have them (ive been riding for 2 and a half years and never had a problem till the other day)i hit a jump and missed the pegs on the landing it roled on me and i broke my ankle somewhere in all that....from now on first thing i get are nerfs

Braff1
08-11-2004, 03:13 PM
I have them and love them. Many times they have kept trees from coming in behind the pegs and catching the rear wheel like what happened to bradley. They are also good when the coarse gets really tight, you pu the nerf up to the tree and use them as a pivot to get around sharply in the tight stuff. Further more the saftey factor is a big Plus in my book. Splashing through the creeks and mudholes make the pegs slick. I have had mine slide off to be saved by the nets a couple of times. also most xc coarses have small mx style jumps. Lil's B/f wished he had them after he got pulled off by his quad while going through a small mx jump on a xc race.