PDA

View Full Version : 2002 400ex BRAKE HELP!!!

cxcelica
08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I am going to change the rear brakes on my 400EX, I was trying to find some diagrams online for the brakes to help me out. Does anyone know where I can find some diagrams online or can someone email me them. Also any tips woudl be appreciated

JOEX
08-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Replacing the pads is fairly simple if you have some mechanical ablity/inclination. A repair manual is very worthwhile, it will pay for itself in saved band aids and broken parts.;) :p

You may need a c-clamp to push the piston back before installing the new pads. Clean everything, concentrating on the slider pins. If you have a digital or polaroid camera take pics as you disassemble.

Welcome to exriders:)

mps5000
08-10-2004, 08:50 PM
i know its not online, but clymer manuals are great to have as a reference for just about anything on your quad, with great detail, they run at about 25 bucks

Shrk352
08-11-2004, 12:03 AM
http://216.37.204.205/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp :D

skysolo16
09-02-2004, 12:38 AM
don't have a diagram but to change them there are two 12mm bolts holding the caliper on. Remove them and the caliper will slide off. then there will be two allen bolts on the right hand side of the caliper that hold your brake pads on. Take those out and the brake pads will come off. You will have to compress the piston in order for the new pads to go in. Do this by either loosening the bleeder and using channel lock pliars to compress it or c clamps. then put the new pads on and put the two allen bolts back in. on top of each pad you will notice two holes; make sure the allen bolts go through them. then slide the caliper back over the rotor and put the two 12mm bolts back in. Bleed the brakes and you are ready to roll.

dirtmomma
01-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post but we are doing the brakes on my 300 which I think are the same as the 400? Anyway all we were doing is replacing the pads & now that that is done it won't roll :( :confused: he took the parking brake off or whatever, & bled them again any suggestions?? Also it has NEW axle bearings so I doubt thats it, any help would be great thanks

pead_24
01-02-2005, 04:05 PM
did you compress the piston in the whole way?? also maybe put the parking brake back on and adjust the screw out a little bit then it should be fine

JOEX
01-02-2005, 09:30 PM
How's the rotor, it could bent. Also, make sure the slider pins are clean.

dirtmomma
01-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
How's the rotor, it could bent. Also, make sure the slider pins are clean.

Yes sir you are probably closer than anyone ;) thats what I told Ron, since I have no skid plate that is a VERY good possibility!! Think we'll check that THANKS!! BTW Joe did ya have a Good Holiday season?? You got any snow down there?? WE are thinking of a dune trip in the next month or 2 I will let you know!!

maggiesboy
01-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Kym- pack that thing up and drag it up here. Lets fix that thing today!

JOEX
01-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Yes sir you are probably closer than anyone ;) thats what I told Ron, since I have no skid plate that is a VERY good possibility!! Think we'll check that THANKS!! BTW Joe did ya have a Good Holiday season?? You got any snow down there?? WE are thinking of a dune trip in the next month or 2 I will let you know!!
Survived the holidays so it's all good;):p

Riding trails up there with no skid plate the way your quad is set up can't be good!:eek:

Let me know if you make a trip down this way:)

dirtmomma
01-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Survived the holidays so it's all good;):p

Riding trails up there with no skid plate the way your quad is set up can't be good!:eek:

Let me know if you make a trip down this way:)

Well glad you "survived" the Holidays we did too I'm HAPPY they are over!!

Yes it's NOT a good thing not having a skid plate on it, she's a low rider even when it's raised up, BUT I picked up a PRM one from a local friend for cheap, guess it's like new haven't seen it yet, but now I actually have a matching bumper & SKID heck I'm feeling special :devil:

We will definetly let you know when we come that way!! :)