PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Heat wearing helmet

stangboy300ex
08-04-2004, 10:47 PM
I would like to know if anyone has any tips on keeping cool under a helmet. I rode at the MotX track today and almost fainted when i came off the track form overheating.
Your head is where your body realeases most of its heat, and wearing a foam lined helmet keeps all that heat in.
Riding the track produces excessive body heat and with all the boots and gear on, there is no release for the heat. Do they make a refridgerated helmet? :-) How about a liner that you keep in the freezer and then slip inside to cool ya off.
It was 93 degrees today and humid. Any hints?

SHOCKER
08-04-2004, 10:50 PM
ium expecting it to be hotter this weekend at elsinore, it sucks coming up to the line waiting to line up and its like 95+ with humidity hitting ya, even with helmet off plus my goggles fog up, i think im gonna put a wet towel under my helmet or stick my head in the cooler then in my helmet :blah:

ex kid
08-05-2004, 06:45 AM
before the race, get a gallon jug(or whatever water you got) of COLD water and soak your head, back and chest. i've found this helps before MX races and works great during pit stops in XC.

jlhughes750
08-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ex kid
before the race, get a gallon jug(or whatever water you got) of COLD water and soak your head, back and chest. i've found this helps before MX races and works great during pit stops in XC.

sorry but thats not the best idea......the evaporation and humidity from your head and shirt being wet will make u even hotter....stay dry, open your vents on the helmet(if equipped). tilt your visor up the whole way and take the foam outta the nose/face piece to allow more air to pass in.

ex kid
08-05-2004, 07:24 AM
really J, that sounds like a good idea. i'll have to try it. my method was always a little crude.

cdalejef
08-05-2004, 08:13 AM
When buying a helmet DON'T BE CHEAP! The higher end helmets are not only safer but usually vent better. With the vents open on my Shoei helmet, I can actually feel the air blowing through the vents under my visor and across the top of my head.
Another thing to stay away from is dark colored helmets. Pick a light color that will reflect the sun and heat away instead of pulling it in.
And always drink lots of water (like 1 gallon a day) starting about 4 days prior to your race or ride. Drinking tons of water on race day doesn't help much.

dwcrash
08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I read this in Dirtwheels once. Try keeping it in a cooler with ice before you race and in between races. For XC I guess just before the race.