View Full Version : Jury duty

chucked
08-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Anyone ever been? What happened when you went there? I got it in a few weeks, It sucks because Its cutting close to school when I need money!

08-04-2004, 09:03 PM
you get paid your salary right? how old are you?

chucked
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
No you get paid 15 dollars

K_Banger125
08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
an hour or total?

DillonTMNT
08-04-2004, 09:47 PM
I thought it was illegal to be fired form a job for jury duty? I also thought you get paid the same as you get for your real job plus 8$ or so a day.

-Dillon

08-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
I thought it was illegal to be fired form a job for jury duty? I also thought you get paid the same as you get for your real job plus 8$ or so a day.

-Dillon maybe some states are different but I think mine is something like that...all i know is when my teacher had to do it she wasnt complaining & she got like 3 weeks off

MOFO
08-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Nope, you cant get fired for serving Jury Duty! If you did, and could prove it... you would be the new owner!

...and I'm pretty sure PA is $15 a day... doesnt matter if your a President of a large company... or flippin burgers at a fast food joint... its $15.

chucked
08-05-2004, 05:10 AM
BACK TO THE TASK AT HAND. has anyone ever been? What happened when you went there?

fuddrucker
08-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Don't know about other states but in California it goes like this.....

$15 a day plus about 40 cents per mile to drive TO the courthouse but nothing to drive back home. Some employers will still pay you while you are on jury duty and if that is the case, then you have to give them the $5 a day that you get for jury duty but you keep the mileage money. If your employer does not pay you while on jury duty, then you get to keep all the cash. Most courts will excuse you if your employer does not pay you while on jury duty if you say it will be a hardship on you or your family. Getting excused for that reason usually only works for quick one or two day cases though.

To answer Chucked, what happens is that you show up, they tell you how many jurors they need for that day, give you the details of how things will go and start calling names to go up to the courtrooms. If your name is called you go up to the courtroom they assign you to and get to listen to the judge tell you a little about the case, how long it is expected to last, and look at the guilty party sit there. After that the judge will ask who can serve that length of time and who can't. If you raise your hand to say that you can't serve that length of time for whatever reason, the judge will ask why and you give your reason. Then the judge deceides to excuse you or not.

If you get excused, sometimes you have to go back down and sit again to see if they call you for another case. Sometimes you get to leave. All in all, it is a lot of sitting and you can count on at least being there until noon or 1pm. They usually have tv to watch, puzzles, books to read, or you can bring a laptop or something else to do while you sit there waiting. Once you have served your day, you will not be sent another notice for at least one year.

HTH.