PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rocky Mountain ATV...

450 Racer R
08-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Is the CRF cam and TRX cam interchangeable? I ordered the hot cams stage 2 and the cam I received was labeled for the CRF450R and had directions for the CRF. I called today and was told that the two are interchangeable. I didn't think they were. Is this true?

Also... Does Renthal make handlebars in a 450r bend? I received bars labeled for a 400ex. I know the bends are different so I called today and the person checked the item numbers and said I got the right bars. When I hold them up to the stock ones they don't line up at all.

The bars aren't that big of a deal, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Renthal makes em in a 450r bend or not. Also if the cams are the same in the CRF and the TRX. Thanks.

drthrottle
08-04-2004, 09:07 PM
When I took my 400 out to 440ex I wanted a hot cam. My dealership and the local pro said to go xr400, they were right. When I got my 450 I wanted the same and they told me to wait a few weeks on the HRC because the CRF was smaller. I have the specs on the HRC and stock but not the CRF. I have the recommended tollerences on both. The HRC comes w/slightly tighter tolerances than both, but I think they interchange. If you have the specs on your stage 2 maybe I can help. On the bars I have 3 diff sets from 3 manufactures. Tag, Trailtech, and Honda and they are all different. I'm not sure there's a true standard.

r450rr
08-04-2004, 09:08 PM
i was upset when i got mine in to from rocky mountain... BUT i called hotcams and asked them the same question.. and they said that the cams are the same in the stage 2

450 Racer R
08-05-2004, 06:06 AM
yeah I checked the website and the specs are the same for both the CRF and TRX. I'm mainly concerned whether or not Renthal has a 450 bend. The 400 ex bars seem too wide. Maybe I can cut the ends off to help a bit?

Hot cams Stage 2 specs..
Intake- 10.1mm @ 248*
Exhaust- 8.7mm @ 268*

250ex_guts
08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
the engine is mainley the same just like to 400ex u can use xr **** for it the only diffrence is that the xr is kickstart and the ex is electric and i think the xr has more compresion stock not sure though

rollie
08-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
yeah I checked the website and the specs are the same for both the CRF and TRX. I'm mainly concerned whether or not Renthal has a 450 bend. The 400 ex bars seem too wide. Maybe I can cut the ends off to help a bit?

Hot cams Stage 2 specs..
Intake- 10.1mm @ 248*
Exhaust- 8.7mm @ 268*

yeah just take a pipe cutter and cut some of the ends off..but i would try the regular 400ex bend for a little...maybe you'll get used to them and like them better....maybe not

just my .02:)

glenfoto
08-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Never had a problem with Rocky Mountain ATV. As a matter of fact, I love them.

450 Racer R
08-07-2004, 08:54 AM
The bars are great. They don't feel too much different from stock. And I'm about to go install the cam now. I hope it's not too much involved. I've never worked on a 4 stroke before. Rocky Mountain's great. I just thought I had the wrong stuff