PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Heat Range

HondaOnly
08-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Just wondering, now that i have made some modifications to my 400ex's engine, like new cam, 440 11:1, exhaust, port +polish, carb, should i switch to a differnt heat range plug, run a different plug gap or anything differnt than i would on a stock engine? Also, is it possible that a differnt brand or type of spark plug is capable of making the engine run differntly?

HondaOnly
08-04-2004, 05:59 PM
I just tried a differnt plug... its an autolite copper 4163, its strange but it seemed to run a little differnt than with the champion RA8HC and differntly than when using a NGK DPR8Z. Another strange thing but the champion plug seemed to make the engine run a little on the rich side when i changed from the same heat range NGK. Then, when i got the carb leaned out, not touching the idle adjustment at all, it was idling very high. When i switched to the Autolite plug, the idle was very very low, I did not adjust it at all. I beleive that all three of these plugs are the exact same heat range, all gapped to the same specs .026 inches i beleive. So, am i just imagining it or could the plug have a noticable effect on the way the engine runs? Also, which of the three plugs i listed would you reccomend? No, im not crazy for making such a big deal over a spark plug but, these little tuning variables and the constant search for higher output from my 400ex are very important.

Thanks

Silverfox@C&DRacing
08-05-2004, 09:07 AM
I have been using a DPR9z plug, that is what JE recommends with the high compression pistions.